need some pointers

TKDHermit

Green Belt
Reaction score
well basically im having trouble with the double(or low-mid/high) side kick(the one in Koryo poomsae). i either over-pivot and end up unable to recover into the next step, or i lose my balance. is there something specific that i should be paying attention to to pull off this move with more success? i dont want it to end up looking like a low-high turning kick though.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Without actually seeing you do it...here are my basic recommendations.

1) Remember your fundamentals. Kicks have three part....chamber, kick, rechamber. Make sure you are doing that for the entire movements. Chamber to side kick, leg out for low side kick, lega back to chamber, leg out for solar plexus level kick, rechamber. Step out into front stance for the knife strike. Leaving out the chambers or the re-chambers at any point (rushing to the kick in other words) will leave you off balance and potentially over rotated.

2) Practice this kick slowly with good form outside of the poomse. Do this a LOT. Slow and correct will lead to fast and smooth.

3) Practice the move going from the previous move to the kick. SLOWLY and with good form. Then Practice from the kick going to the next step....again SLOWLY. Don't just practice the kick in isolation...the connecting moves between steps are as important or more important than the kick itself.

4) It's a side kick...make sure to project your energy and momentum in a straight line. Don't do a sloppy ugly roundhouse/sidekick hybrid (push from the hips, don't snap for the knee).

I'm sure I'm missing other basic pointers...but bottom line, practice slow, focus on form and pay attention to the fundamentals.

Peace,
Erik

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
Normally when doing a sidekick your supporting heel should rotate towards the target.
When I do a double I rotate that heel from the 6 to 4 oclock instead of 12.
This way as I re chamber I have room to rotate from 4 to 12 and turn my hip over more.
1st kick more like a stomp that rotates in to a higher side kick.
For me the detail of the supporting foot and hip work defines balance and power.
Try focusing on the supporting foot and see what happens.

Dave O.

spinny

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I don't have much to add. But, when I'm working on something like that I like to break it down into little pieces and practice each element, then put it together.
And, a tip for practicing side kicks slowly, if you don't have the muscle control, balance and strength to do it without aid, try holding onto a wall. Then work your way to doing it on your own. Of course, it's also easier to keep your balance when you're moving at regular speed ;)

OP
T

TKDHermit

Green Belt
Reaction score
hmm ok more specifically, my loss of balance would occur during the re-chamber of the low side kick - which is also the chamber - for the solar plexus kick and the extension of the solar plexus kick.i thrust too hard i fall backwards. is shallowing the chamber for the 2nd kick an alternative? because i also notice if i do a full chamber, like tuck in all the way tightly for the 2nd kick, my knee would be pointing sllightly backwards and not towards the side, which leads my thrust to either end up going slightly sideways, or i cant recover for the next movement due to overpivotting which makes it end up looking like a backthrust more than a side kick. =\

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
Keep your head over your supporting foot until you have re chambered and sent the second kick out.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
hmm ok more specifically, my loss of balance would occur during the re-chamber of the low side kick - which is also the chamber - for the solar plexus kick and the extension of the solar plexus kick.i thrust too hard i fall backwards. is shallowing the chamber for the 2nd kick an alternative? because i also notice if i do a full chamber, like tuck in all the way tightly for the 2nd kick, my knee would be pointing sllightly backwards and not towards the side, which leads my thrust to either end up going slightly sideways, or i cant recover for the next movement due to overpivotting which makes it end up looking like a backthrust more than a side kick. =\

What I do to help my balance is to imagine I have a string coming out of my head holding me up. I don't quiet remember were I picked that up, I think it was a ballet teacher. It seems to help.

Also, it helps to tighten your muscles - in a relaxed way, of course.

That's were core strength pays off.

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I was under the impression that the first lower kick was a faint, as opposed to a full on kick. I usually do faint lower kick then full power second kick, this way you don't have full momentum on the first kick, this will allow easier recoil for the second. I have used medium sized hurdles in the past and kicked under slowly then over slowly, this seemed to help some. Good luck!

garrisons2

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yes, the first kick is more of a blocking "kick" to just below the opponents knee, at least that is how my GM teaches it. I sometimes still have issues as you describe, the advice I have been given is consistent with what I have heard here

OP
T

TKDHermit

Green Belt
Reaction score
ok i cleared my double side kick, now i realised another problem wjhile practicing against a mirror. my horse stances end up facing DIAGONAL! like is there a trick to it? duno if its the steps or the horse stances itself =\ crap

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
ok i cleared my double side kick, now i realised another problem wjhile practicing against a mirror. my horse stances end up facing DIAGONAL! like is there a trick to it? duno if its the steps or the horse stances itself =\ crap
Stances are something that you need to take slow and get a feel for. Try this.

1. Do the stance
2. Correct the stance
3. Feel the correct stance (understand how you feel totally while in that stance).
4. Repeat until it becomes something that feels right when done correctly.

Once you can get a feel for the correct stance, trust me, you will know when your stance is off after that.

This should be applied to any stance.

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Stances are something that you need to take slow and get a feel for. Try this.

1. Do the stance
2. Correct the stance
3. Feel the correct stance (understand how you feel totally while in that stance).
4. Repeat until it becomes something that feels right when done correctly.

Once you can get a feel for the correct stance, trust me, you will know when your stance is off after that.

This should be applied to any stance.

This is truly the only way to "get" stances. Just wanted to mention 2 things, though. In step 3, be sure to stay in the stance long enough to truly feel it. Most people rush this. Stay there until it starts to hurt. Second thing: especially for horse stance, staying in the stance can really help strengthen your legs.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would also like to add that you should look very carefully at your transition into the stance within the form. What you describe (horse stance going diagonal) may be a symptom of over rotation or over committing OR under rotation/under committing to the technique that led to the stance.

So, spend lots of time in the stance learning how it should feel...but also look at what your doing in that transition.

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Horse stance. After becoming comfortable in the stance as suggested above. Use some Duct tape or Masking tape put a + on the floor. place a string under the tape. Practice moving rotating on, each leg of the tape, that way you can have a nice visual and the string under the tape will allow you to feel the proper position in the soles of your feet. Work it till it be comes natural.

I have used this method (the tape part) to help with other stances and to insure proper kicking rotation, it helped me quite a bit.

Latest Discussions