Request for website feedback

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of working on a website for the gym I train at: Four Seasons Martial Arts. I'd be grateful for any feedback regarding clarity, typos, helpfulness, etc.

I'm currently using free WordPress hosting with a free theme, so I'm very limited in what I can do to control the design and appearance of the site until such time as my instructor opts to pay for some upgrades. Right now I'm mostly focused on the content. I'll be adding more pages soon, but I figured I had enough up that I go could go ahead and ask for constructive criticism.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The 4 seasons logo looks kinda smashed for lack of a better word. Like it as stretched to fit the space. Also the schedule is kinda hard to read with the color tones. Id try to add more photos of actual training or at least the facility.

OP
Tony Dismukes

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll be adding photos soon and putting up a more legible schedule page once I get the latest schedule info. I'll have to mess with the logo to see if I can get it to fit better.

GaryR

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm in the process of working on a website for the gym I train at: Four Seasons Martial Arts. I'd be grateful for any feedback regarding clarity, typos, helpfulness, etc.

I'm currently using free WordPress hosting with a free theme, so I'm very limited in what I can do to control the design and appearance of the site until such time as my instructor opts to pay for some upgrades. Right now I'm mostly focused on the content. I'll be adding more pages soon, but I figured I had enough up that I go could go ahead and ask for constructive criticism.

Hi Tony,

I'm a certified web developer, and I have managed countless projects for every size of company. I'm currently the CIO at a web / marketing company for attorneys FWIW.

I like what you have done with your resources. Nice and simple. Logo is a bit big/stretched, and you definitely need a "contact us" page that is easily seen.

An option to look into for design is going with a template that you edit. templatemonster.com has tons of them, you can get a decent one for like $50, and you can host a site using ipowerweb for like 3 bucks a month with nearly unlimited space. Just find a nice HTML template near your market or design preference and customize.

If you have any very specific questions feel free to email me [email protected], glad to help a MA brother out.

Best of luck,

Gary

OP
Tony Dismukes

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks again. I've updated the logo, so hopefully that looks a little better. I definitely want to get a better theme/template but I'm waiting on my instructor to spring for it - right now everything is using the free options.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks again. I've updated the logo, so hopefully that looks a little better. I definitely want to get a better theme/template but I'm waiting on my instructor to spring for it - right now everything is using the free options.

Yeah I think the logo looks much better now. Looking good keep up the good work.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
On your homepage you have navigation bars (or whatever they are called), one at the top of the page and one on the left. Looks a little busy, it looks much better on the other pages where you don't have a bar on the left side of the page.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Schedule is hard to read and assess, to me. The time blocks day-to-day don't line up in a way to let me look at it, it's just a list. I like more of a schedule/calendar layout.

And... you might consider looking at Silverstar Webdesigns. (Also here) The owner's a real nice guy... even if he is a bit possessive with his rum. ;) And he does really good work.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That actually looks pretty decent for a free template. Better than a lot of school websites I've seen!

My thoughts are as follows (I'll only discuss content since that's all you have control over):

On the home page:
Four Seasons Martial arts in Lexington, Kentucky is headquarters for the Carlson Gracie Kentucky team and home of the finest Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, and MMA training in the bluegrass area.

How about this: "Four Seasons Martial Arts of Lexington, Kentucky is the home of the finest Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, and MMA training in the Bluegrass Area, and the headquarters of the Carlson Gracie Kentucky team."

I'd recommend making a "contact us" page with your contact info, a photo of the outside of the school, and a map (google maps will give you the html code to embed a map in your website).

On the "About Us" page you might want to put some info about the school owner/founder, the facility, your history, stuff like that.

I like that you've got a summary of the programs you offer, but I think adding a photo or two of people doing that style or taking that class would make it seem more exciting and visually appealing.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Schedule is hard to read and assess, to me. The time blocks day-to-day don't line up in a way to let me look at it, it's just a list. I like more of a schedule/calendar layout.

I do agree with this - it looks cool, but it's hard to figure out at a glance, and would probably be impossible on a smart phone. Not sure how much the OP can do about that, though. But if they can do it, a table format is easier to read.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I assume you can add photos as you have photos on the 'Welcome' page. I would add photos of all your instructors to make it personal. People relate to pictures. The other thing I have done with my website, another freebie by the way :) , is to find some decent YouTube videos and add links. That gives people some 'visual value' if you like.

I'm not sure about the menu on the left of the first page. There is a label that says 'start here' and I'm not sure that it shouldn't be 'Home' or something like that.

BTW. I spent a little time reading your blog and look forward to reading more when I have time. :)

Latest Discussions