Repeated movements in the first form

SifuBoza

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me why some movements are repeated in the first form?

OP
S

SifuBoza

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Our sifu says, the amount of times a technique appears in the form is a good indicator of its importance. Repeated more times so each time you do the form you get more practice on those really important elements.
Okay but then why, for example, tansao is not repeated 3 times, or bongsao. I dont understand why that movement is so important if it is repeated

obi_juan_salami

Green Belt
Reaction score
Okay but then why, for example, tansao is not repeated 3 times, or bongsao. I dont understand why that movement is so important if it is repeated
its not that the movement is imortant bacause its repeated. its repeated because its important.

lets use huen sau as an example. huen sau is at the end of almost every movement in the siu lim tao. its repeated so many times so that each time you practice the form you get more repetitions in. huen sau is essential for wrist flexibility, strength and suppleness. many techniques involve articulation of the wrist and you need these qualities in order to move with speed, accuracy, power, fluidity and versatility.

bong sau as it appears in the form does not give you the same kind of foundational benefit. it simply trains you to do a bong sau.

this said, all the technoques can be repeated as many times as you like in isolation to practice them. this is infact a nessecity. But should you only have time to do the siu lim tao on a day you at least got more training on the important parts that give you base attributes.

OP
S

SifuBoza

Orange Belt
Reaction score
sorry but I cant imagine someone who took 20+ years to make the first form put in a huen sao just to strengthen the joint. You can also exercise your wrist without form. Huen sao has other purpose in form

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score

How many times is Tan Sau repeated in your first form?

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
someone who took 20+ years to make the first form

I've never heard of this. How do you this? How do you know it was one person? How do you know how long it took to make the first form?

Huen sao has other purpose in form

What is its purpose? Huen sau's are everywhere in all the forms. I'm curious to know your thoughts about this.

OP
S

SifuBoza

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Only 1 tansao in form. But why 3 fuk sao ?

obi_juan_salami

Green Belt
Reaction score
sorry but I cant imagine someone who took 20+ years to make the first form put in a huen sao just to strengthen the joint. You can also exercise your wrist without form. Huen sao has other purpose in form
well its nit just to strengthen the joint it does that and a lot more as i said previously.
you can exercise your wrist without the form.. but you can also do any technique without the form.. are you asking the purpose of forms?

OP
S

SifuBoza

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've never heard of this. How do you this? How do you know it was one person? How do you know how long it took to make the first form?

What is its purpose? Huen sau's are everywhere in all the forms. I'm curious to know your thoughts about this.
It took Ngmui about 20 years to complete the first form after the collapse of the Shaolin temple.

OP
S

SifuBoza

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Wing chun, wing tsun ipaman lineage all in one 😁

Latest Discussions