Repeated movements in the first form

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
you going to hold your breath till you turn blue now?
Now you're just being dumb and rude!

images

Oh wait... I actually did have something to say.

Regarding repeated moves in Wing Chun - in my lineage it is said that most double movements such as the crossed tan-sau and crossed gaun-sau movements in the opening of Siu Nim Tau, the double sidewards fak-sau movements, etc. are actually applied using a single hand.

These double would be examples of reducing repetitions in the forms by combining two movements in one, while often exploiting the doubled up position to train other concepts at the same time, such as body alignment, centerline, and so forth. In spite of certain repetitions of very important movements, I find that Wing Chun's forms are very condensed and concise overall.

WingChunIsNoSport

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Form is used for recording. Form is not used for training.
I'm not even sure what this means tbh. Clarification required before I can even comment further other than to say that on the surface this statement is categorically incorrect and untrue.

Though I would hear out context, if any?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm not even sure what this means tbh. Clarification required before I can even comment further other than to say that on the surface this statement is categorically incorrect and untrue.

Though I would hear out context, if any?
Should you train the form from the 1st move to the last move? Should you break the form apart into drills and train those drills independently?

For example, in the 1st WC form, you start with:

a. left vertical punch.
b. right vertical punch.
c. left Tan Shou and ....
d. right Tan Shou and ....
e. ...

Whether you may train abcd, or badc, or cdab, or ... you will get the same training result.

Just like a book, form records sentences and grammar (such as sentence "This is a book" with grammar subject, verb, article, object).

To repeat "This is a book" 10,000 has little value. What the writer wants you to learn is not just "This is a book". He wants you to use the same grammar and construct sentences such as:

- This is a pen.
- That is a book.
- That is a pen.

For example, if your form has groin kick, face punch combo, you should be able to figure out combos such as:

- front kick, uppercut,
- side kick, hammer fist.
- roundhouse kick, spin back fist.

If your form has no grammar (it's just a dictionary), your form then is just a set of drills a, b, c, d, ... then whether you train your form as

- abcd... or
- dcba... or
- adbc ... or

you will get the same training result.

Last edited: