repairing an Everlast bag

padre

Orange Belt
Reaction score
A few weeks back, a (Lung Shou Pai green belt) bud and I were pummeling an Everlast standing bag and actually broke the thing. The center column turned out to be a two-piece design, with what appeared to be epoxy bonding the top part where the bag sits to the water-filled base.

I've just applied some epoxy to see if it can survive more battering or dishonor its makers again.

For now we've decided it's not worthy of the name "Everlast" and have dubbed it the "last a while" bag.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When did you purchase it? All Everlast bags come with at least a 1 year warranty. I've had good experience with their customer service, when it comes to RMA's.

OP
padre

padre

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My kicking mate obtained it in new condition but second hand, so I'm operating from the assumption that it's out of warranty.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
based on my experience with heavy bags, if duct tape won't fix it, it's shot.

jf

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Except this is a standing bag...that's a bit more difficult to fix

OP
padre

padre

Orange Belt
Reaction score
We'll see soon enough, I guess.

I let the epoxy bond and have left the bag undisturbed for about 24 hours now.

Once it takes a good beating or two (or fails to do so), I'll be glad to indicate success or failure.

OP
padre

padre

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I reassembled it at lunch and snapped it clean in two with a punch. I think it's dead.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
hanging bags are much more durable, standing bags are basically only good for light contact target practice.

jf

OP
padre

padre

Orange Belt
Reaction score
hanging bags are much more durable, standing bags are basically only good for light contact target practice.

jf

So I see. heh

It may be about time for a hanging bag, then. The dojang has Wavemasters, a BOB, and sparring partners for light contact.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
if you're a morning person, you can find cheap bags ($10-$30) at garage sales a lot of times. otherwise you are usually better off just buying a new one.

happy hunting,

jf

OP
padre

padre

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm a morning person, but not really a garage sale person. heh

I'd rather spend the money to get something good and installed than spend the equivalent amount of time.

OP
padre

padre

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Just scored a free one by asking around on the local linux users group list.

Even if it's a 60-pounder, the price is right.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just scored a free one by asking around on the local linux users group list.

Even if it's a 60-pounder, the price is right.

i actually prefer the lighter bags. you're slightly less likely to injure yourself (punching a body is often much more forgiving than punching 100lbs of dead weight suspended from the ceiling), & they also allow you to move more rather than plant yourself in front of an immobile target & blast away. you can fire away a combo until it swings out of range, then either work on chasing it or circling out when it swings back. lots more options with a lighter bag. good job on finding a freebie.

jf

OP
padre

padre

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I seem to have finally fixed it in a fairly definitive manner. I drilled 8 little holes and nailed the 2 pieces of the spine together at each point.

I then beat the crap out of it for a few minutes to check for obvious failure of structural integrity.

Maybe in the future we'll have to use a little self control in just how hard we pummel the thing, but for good ol' fashioned kicking & punching drills, I *think* she's now good to go.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Many years ago we purchase "pull over covers" for bags...I believe we purchase them from "Century"

Great to pull up over OLD punching bags....tight fit...took a while to pull it up!

Makes it LOOK BRAND NEW! like putting new clothes on!

Aloha,

PS: anyone purchase these? and know were this guys can get one?

nelsonkari

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Everlast bags, at least some of them, aren't worth a crap anymore.
I bought a "tether bag" with a shock cord and blew it away in under a month. I wrapped it like the mummy and it lasted a little longer but lost it's bounce back.

My bag is destined for the fire pit.

A Century water bag did not fair much better before it sprung a leak.
We are going to stuff it with carpet or possibly shelled corn.

The "old time" hard leather bags hurt to hit but they lasted a lifetime.

Latest Discussions