Remote Desktop

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
question... I recently found out that Remote Desktop Connection software is not compatible with WinXP Home Edition. Does anyone know a work-around for this? If not, suggest an alternative? I've got a small network at home, and really need to be able to use my desktop from my laptop. wanna watch movies while I program :D

Thanks!

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
question... I recently found out that Remote Desktop Connection software is not compatible with WinXP Home Edition. Does anyone know a work-around for this? If not, suggest an alternative? I've got a small network at home, and really need to be able to use my desktop from my laptop. wanna watch movies while I program :D

Thanks!

Set up a network drive and play them from the laptop? I imagine there is some streaming software out there as well.

There are 3rd party applications that allow you to take control of another desktop as well, but I don't really have experience with any.

There are ways to enable it I believe, but I think you'd breach the license, and could potentially run into a genuine advantage block if you did so.

OP
mrhnau

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
umm... not interested in movies or music on my computers. I have always enjoyed programming in my living room, which houses our TV/DVD, and most of the time, my family! My desktop houses much of my business related work, and I'd prefer to keep it there (tired of porting junk around w/ jump drives), so I'm just trying to remote into it.

I took a look at the VNC stuff. I need something free. This is not, strictly speaking, a business expense, but more personal in nature.

wushu2004

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
and tightvnc

But to play the movies, I agree with Andrew, its faster to use the file shares, the nfs or samba.

Yea I forgot about tightvnc.

umm... not interested in movies or music on my computers. I have always enjoyed programming in my living room, which houses our TV/DVD, and most of the time, my family! My desktop houses much of my business related work, and I'd prefer to keep it there (tired of porting junk around w/ jump drives), so I'm just trying to remote into it.

I took a look at the VNC stuff. I need something free. This is not, strictly speaking, a business expense, but more personal in nature.

But...realvnc is free.

Latest Discussions