Related to how one feels in Kenpo.

True2Kenpo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Fellow Kenpoists,

Just recently I was writing a paper for a class about an Archaeologist by the name of K.C. Chang and came across this section of an article that really inspired me to think about how I view my training in the Art of Kenpo.

The article begins by talking about K.C. Chang's mentor, Li Chi, in Taiwain and he explained that Li Chi was a, "...very enlightened man. He did not regard himself as the master and his students as his disciples. He was a team spirit, a faculty spirit, where you try to take the best from each specialty. He believed that you should develope your own style and become your own master."

I just thought I would share those words with everyone. It really reminded me of something you might read or hear from Mr. Parker.

In anycase, I hope all is well and good journey to all!

Respectfully,
Joshua Ryer
UPK Pittsburgh

Reference:
Ferrie, Helkie "A conversation with K.C. Chang," Current Anthropology, Volume 36, Number 2, April 1995, pp. 307-325.

K

Kenpomachine

Originally posted by True2Kenpo
He believed that you should develope your own style and become your own master."

Hey, I can relate to that, at least partially, as my instructor always says that you should develop your own style and not clone anyone's.

But becoming your own master is quite more difficult a thing, as you sometimes need a point of view from the outside to correct what you're doing wrong and you don't see it. But if it means one should create ones path in life, then, I agree.

OP
True2Kenpo

True2Kenpo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Kenpo Machine,

Good afternoon sir! I would have to agree with you that the idea of becoming your own master takes influence of others. I would be no where without my instructor and all of the great instructors I have met along the way.

I think it would also refer to choosing your path in life as well. I feel that is very important, build on your strengths and weaknesses.

Thank you sir for your thoughts. I wish you the best.

Respectfully,
Joshua Ryer
UPK Pittsburgh

K

Kenpomachine

Originally posted by True2Kenpo
I feel that is very important, build on your strengths and weaknesses.

Know your weaknesses as to try to work harder to make them disappear, but not building on them. You should build over strong foundations.

On a side note, becoming one's master is rather difficult and one of the hardest things I can think of, being the others raising a child. Most people nowadays go for the easy way and try to avoid any problems or confrontations, so they don't have to grow up.

Good luck on your journey Joshua,
Lucía

Latest Discussions