Recreational Violence, Fall 2014

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You're invited to a day of martial arts from Western Civilization!

Facebook page for the Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/291734661013450/permalink/291788091008107/

All day event. $45 at the door.
$35 for preregistration.
Preregister by clicking "attending" here and pay by PayPal to: [email protected] (owner and operator of S.W.O.R.D.)

Preregistration: 8:00-9:00

Class List:

• The Grappling of Historic Pugilism - Kirk Lawson: 9:00-10:30
  • Dirty Boxing - Ken Pfrenger: 10:30-12:00
  • Lunch: 12:00-1:00
  • Against the Pugilist- Randal Gustitus: 1:00-2:30
  • Modern Knife Concepts - Tim Anderson: 2:30-4:00
  • Coached Instruction, Friendly Bouts, and General Violence: 4:00-"TooBatteredAboutTheFaceToTellTime"

Class Description:
The Grappling of Historic Pugilism - Kirk Lawson:
Explore the exciting and mostly forgotten world of grappling in historic boxing which augmented the well known fisticuffs with trips, throws, chokes, and even joint-locks.

Required Gear:
An interest in historic boxing and a keen disregard for personal safety. Mats to fall on will be provided.

[Because the other instructors haven't had a chance yet to write their class descriptions, I'll do a quick one for them and post a more detailed description as it follows.]

Class Description:
Dirty Boxing, Ken Pfrenger:
I know the Ref said, "I want a clean fight" but what he didn't see didn't happen, right? Tips and tricks for NOT fight'n fair.

Recommended Gear:
Updated Life Insurance policy (and Dental Insurance might not be a bad idea either...)

Class Description:
Against the Pugilist, Randal Gustitus:
I've got a walking stick/singlestick, he's unarmed. Sounds fair to me! Longergans's classic instruction on smacking around boxers (and boxers who don't have sticks!, right?).

Recommended Gear:
A ~42" rattan or ash stick and a stout glove (or a hatred of your own knuckles may be substituted). A few loaners may be available.

Class Description:
Modern Knife Concepts, Tim Anderson:
Pointy end goes here.

Recommended gear:
Blunted knife trainers. Well stocked First Aid Kit.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Last edited:
OP
lklawson

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yup. Before the Marques of Queensberry screwed it all up, Boxing had throws, trips, chokes, and a joint-manipulation or two in it.

Here's one example:
5792-albums45-picture15792.jpg

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll have to get out of the house by 6:00 am in order to drive to Dayton in time - I expect an exciting class to make it worth my while. :)

If you have a loaner stick for the 1:00 class, I would be appreciative. All I have at the moment are a short escrima stick and an old police baton. I imagine the single-stick repertoire is built around a longer weapon.

OP
lklawson

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'll have to get out of the house by 6:00 am in order to drive to Dayton in time - I expect an exciting class to make it worth my while. :)

If you have a loaner stick for the 1:00 class, I would be appreciative. All I have at the moment are a short escrima stick and an old police baton. I imagine the single-stick repertoire is built around a longer weapon.
Tony,

I'm looking forward to meeting you at last.

I will be sure to save a stick for you. :)

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. Before the Marques of Queensberry screwed it all up, Boxing had throws, trips, chokes, and a joint-manipulation or two in it.

Here's one example:
5792-albums45-picture15792.jpg

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

That I did not know, not sure how I feel right now!

OP
lklawson

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That I did not know, not sure how I feel right now!
Excited and invigorated?

Ya gotta admit that the Handlebar Mustaches along with the slacks, heeled shoes, and sleeveless T's gives them a certain je ne sais quoi ;)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

OP
lklawson

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Love to be there but the tyranny of distance will prevail. :)
You don't need it anyway. You get all the self defense practice you need just fighting spiders the size of terriers and avoiding drop bears.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

OP
lklawson

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Instructor Bio, Randal Gustitis:
Randal has been training in the martial arts since 1985. His early training was in karate and Western fencing, although he has branched out over the years to a variety of Eastern and Western martial arts as well. As a hoplologist, he has traveled to New Zealand (where he was the first mainland American to be ranked in Maori martial arts) and Portugal to research and study. In the Eastern arts, he is an instructor of Yang style Taijiquan, which he has been practicing since 1987. He also holds a Sandan in Meishin Muso Ryu Iaido and is currently a student of Tristan Sutrisno in Pencak Silat Tanjung Sari, where he holds instructor rank. In the Western arts, he is an instructor of Russian martial arts, and is an avid practitioner of Jogo do Pau do Ilha Terceira. He currently runs the School of the Single Circle- a club in the Philadelphia area, teaching a variety of Western martial arts. The arts taught at the school range from RMA and the German tradition, through Jogo do Pau and the works of Gerard Thibault and Figueyredo. Additionally, the Highland/Three Kingdoms tradition is taught by request, as Randal is also certified as a second level mentor with the Cateran Society Broadsword Academy.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You don't need it anyway. You get all the self defense practice you need just fighting spiders the size of terriers and avoiding drop bears.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
True story. One of my friends was working with a chain saw under a tree when something hit him on the head, knocked him out and damaged his neck. When he regained consciousness there was nothing around that anyone could find that had fallen from the tree. Consensus is that it must have been a drop bear or the like. ;)

Not so sure about the spiders the size of terriers but we do have a nasty one called a Sydney Funnel Web. Another guy I knew years back kept them in big glass tanks. Now they are scary critters. Give me snakes any day.
:asian:

OP
lklawson

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Instructor Bio, Kirk Lawson:
Kirk is a leading member of the Western Martial Arts community, participating as both a scholar and practitioner. Originally a 20-year veteran of the Asian Martial Arts with ranks in Tang Soo Do, Akido and Judo, Kirk had turned his attention to the historical martial systems originating primarily in Europe and also in America.

In addition to his interest and practice of classical pugilistic (boxing) methods, Kirk is a leading member of the Bartitsu Society (a group studying the 19th Century fusion of English Boxing, French Savate, the Vigny Walking Stick System, and Japanese JuJitsu), a student of the Tomahawk and Bowie Knife, from the American Frontier period, certified Expert Level 1 through The School of Two Swords, and a Free-Scholar in the Cumann Bhata (Irish Stick Fighting Society) and is a National Rifle Association certified Rifle Instructor and Range Safety Officer.

In addition to leading his Western Martial Arts study-group "Cumann Bhata-Dayton", Kirk regularly transcribes and reproduces historical Western Martial Arts Manuals, providing free electronic versions online. Kirk's original works include his contributions to Volumes I & II of the Bartitsu Compendium, and the authorship of "Banned From Boxing! The forgotten grappling techniques of historic Pugilism".

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Instructor Bio, Kirk Lawson:
Kirk is a leading member of the Western Martial Arts community, participating as both a scholar and practitioner. Originally a 20-year veteran of the Asian Martial Arts with ranks in Tang Soo Do, Akido and Judo, Kirk had turned his attention to the historical martial systems originating primarily in Europe and also in America.

In addition to his interest and practice of classical pugilistic (boxing) methods, Kirk is a leading member of the Bartitsu Society (a group studying the 19th Century fusion of English Boxing, French Savate, the Vigny Walking Stick System, and Japanese JuJitsu), a student of the Tomahawk and Bowie Knife, from the American Frontier period, certified Expert Level 1 through The School of Two Swords, and a Free-Scholar in the Cumann Bhata (Irish Stick Fighting Society) and is a National Rifle Association certified Rifle Instructor and Range Safety Officer.

In addition to leading his Western Martial Arts study-group "Cumann Bhata-Dayton", Kirk regularly transcribes and reproduces historical Western Martial Arts Manuals, providing free electronic versions online. Kirk's original works include his contributions to Volumes I & II of the Bartitsu Compendium, and the authorship of "Banned From Boxing! The forgotten grappling techniques of historic Pugilism".

Going to have to look more into this. Genuinely curious.

OP
lklawson

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Going to have to look more into this. Genuinely curious.
I've got some friends in the London area (which is admittedly pretty big) running Bartitsu, Pugilism, and historic Fencing schools.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Excited and invigorated?

Ya gotta admit that the Handlebar Mustaches along with the slacks, heeled shoes, and sleeveless T's gives them a certain je ne sais quoi ;)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

The shoes were what I fond really jarring.

OP
lklawson

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A little bit of description from Ken Pfrenger on his class on Dirty Boxing:

• When martial artists think of dirty boxing they might imagine what Randy Couture does against the cage in the UFC...not far from it but we will be adding in more violence, stuff that is illegal everywhere. Headbutts, elbows, groin shots etc...a whole mess'o'fun!
  • Gear? I don't expect us top be laying into each other very hard in this class though there are always errors in distance and timing possible. A mouth piece is not a bad idea, 4 oz mma style glove are also an option...not mandatory. Also focus gloves would be usefull but i will have a few pair to share.

OP
lklawson

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A little more information from Tim Anderson on his Modern Knife class:

It will be a little bit more to it then [merely 'pointy end goes here']. I'm gonna introduce my Tomahawk work as well to modern playground and methods of sparring too.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A little more information from Tim Anderson on his Modern Knife class:
It will be a little bit more to it then [merely 'pointy end goes here']. I'm gonna introduce my Tomahawk work as well to modern playground and methods of sparring too.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Would very much like to see that. Could you do a vid perhaps :)

Latest Discussions