Recovering from flu

K

Kenpomachine

Hi all,
I'm supposed to be preparing for my black belt test this summer, but due to two flues in a row I'm somewhat out of rythm and behind schedule in my preparation. Not to say my physical conditioning has gone to nowhere now.
The main problem here is that I have always had a very low aerobic condition and needed a lot of months to get the level for an exigent exam. Now, I'll put an example: more than 1/2 h of exercise and I run slower than I walk :( (you can laugh if you want).
So I don't know how I could speed up my training now. Any ideas?

Lucía

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
it would be easier if you could tell us what you are doing now, then we could critique the regimine.

whatever you do, don't work out hard when you're sick, probably better not to work out at all. just get rest and fluids and food. but not junk food...:)
working out when sick can cause negative effects.

also, if you know what you'll be required to do for the test and how long it will be...that's a plus.

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
find a good personal trainer. your doctor can probably recommend someone. They'll evaluate what you've been doing and give you a plan for what you need to do to reach your goal in the amount of time you have.

OP
K

Kenpomachine

Yeah, leave one for me tarabos.

I have left training until I can breath properly, but I'm feeling like I need some exercise other than rolling in bed right now.

I'm taking well over 2 l of water a day and certainly no junk food ;)

That's all I can think of now.

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by nightingale8472
check your health insurance policy. some will help pay.

We don't have such an excellent health service here in Europe as you do in the States. But it's worth a try.

Les

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
my health insurance will consider some gym memberships and personal training as "preventative medicine"...if you're in good health, they're less likely to have to pay lots and lots of money for you.

Dunno how it works elsewhere, tho.

don bohrer

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Kenpomachine,

Just give a 110% while in class. Also keep your workouts consistant and don't cheat yourself. I don't know how many days you go to class, but try adding an extra day if possible.

Don Bohrer

tarabos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kenpomachine
I have left training until I can breath properly, but I'm feeling like I need some exercise other than rolling in bed right now.

heck...just go take a walk and get some fresh air...that won't bother you too much. ride a bike maybe if you have one...

OP
K

Kenpomachine

Originally posted by don bohrer
Kenpomachine,

Just give a 110% while in class. Also keep your workouts consistant and don't cheat yourself. I don't know how many days you go to class, but try adding an extra day if possible.

Don Bohrer

Problem is I can't even give 70% :( , nor take the second class (classes are 1h) right now. Even the running in the warm up is too much for my flu now...

Nightingale, I don't know how health insurance works here, as we have public health service in Spain, which is quite good for many things but doesn't cover personal trainings.

I would walk more, or go for a bike ride if it weren't raining so much everyday. Fyi, I'm mainly doing forms slowly, with some lifts and low positions, and also techniques the same way, at least not too lose much power. Also throwing some stretching in the mix, but stamina has gone nearly to 0, which is the main problem as I see it. The regular classes, I try to do what the instructor wants as best I can, and that's all.

Btw, ,thanks all for your input :)
Lucía

don bohrer

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Kenpomachine,

I meant give it your all when your feeling better. We've all get sick and the flu really bites. Sounds like it's time to slow down and enjoy the holidays. There really isn't much else to do! Take Christ Birthday all in stride and enjoy the last few days before years end.

Question what worries you the most other than stamina? Also what is involved in your Black Belt test?

Don Bohrer

OP
K

Kenpomachine

Originally posted by don bohrer
Question what worries you the most other than stamina? Also what is involved in your Black Belt test?

I have trained today for the first time in the last 10 days or so.

Questions: self defense techniques is the other main worry for me. I can only relay in technique with the great guys and I'm not that good at it. Also, I don't have a regular partner with which I could train out of classes.

The black belt test involves basically, basic technique, theory, forms, self defense techniques and sparring. Some of the self defense techniques are from the program, other are responses to random attacks and some others should be mine. Time of the testing varies greatly, from one hour to more than two. The rest is up to the instructor/s imagination.

And if asked today, I'll tell him I'd rather test this time next year than end of june. I lack confidence in my work.

Kalicombat

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have been in the same boat trying to get ready for powerlifting contests. While you have the flu, dont worry about trying to workout. Just use the time to heal. You will, as time heals everything. It sounds as if you hadn't gotten over your last bout with the flu bug. Maybe you jumped back into training too soon. The flu will weaken your immune system, and overtraining while sick will compound the weakness. If you have any kind of bronchitis associated with the flu, be sure and do deep breathing while resting. 3 or 4 very deep breaths, 4 times a day will help keep your lungs open.

You said your test is in the summer. If so, allow your body to heal then hit it like a fiend. Being that you are testing for your Blackbelt, this aint your first rodeo. You have the material locked in, and when you are recovered and 100% the knowledge will still be there. Your conditioning will come back also. Your will and perseverance will carry you to success. Each and every baby step is one step closer.

Rest, Fluids, healthy chow, and rest

Good Luck,
Gary Catherman, Kenpoist.

OP
K

Kenpomachine

Now it's Xmas holiday and time to rest and be with family :D I'll surely be drinking (no alcohol here) and eating well too. Now I have trained a little, I don't miss kenpo so much.

Thanks for all the counsels, anybody and Merry Christmas to everybody . :) :)

Lucía

OP
K

Kenpo_Norm

I have had the Flu twice this year too. It has really messed with my training. It was so bad I could not breath.
Now they got this new bug out now thats killing people.
I pray for health

OP
F

FlashingDaggers

I wish you well...I have something really nasty as well so I know how you feel.

Latest Discussions