A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
*** From an e-mail I received ***

It only takes a minute to read this.

RECOGNIZING A STROKE
A neurologist says that if he can get to a stroke victim within 3 hours he can totally reverse the effects of a stroke ... totally. He said the trick was getting a stroke recognized, diagnosed an getting to the patient within 3 hours which is tough.
Thank God for the sense to remember the "3" steps. Read and Learn!
Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify. Unfortunately, the lack of awareness spells disaster. The stroke victim may suffer brain damage when people nearby fail to recognize the symptoms of a stroke. Now doctors say a bystander can recognize a stroke by asking three simple questions:
1. Ask the individual to SMILE.
2. Ask him or her to RAISE BOTH ARMS.
3. Ask the person to SPEAK A SIMPLE SENTENCE
(Coherently) i.e... It is sunny out today.

If he or she has trouble with any of these three tasks, call 9-1-1 immediately and describe the symptoms to the dispatcher. After discovering that a group of non-medical volunteers could identify facial weakness, arm weakness and speech problems, researchers urged the general public to learn the three questions. They presented their conclusions at the American Stroke Association's annual meeting last February. Widespread use of this test could result in prompt diagnosis and treatment of the stroke and prevent brain damage.
A cardiologist says if everyone who gets this e-mail sends it to 10 people; you can bet that at least one life will be saved.
BE A FRIEND AND SHARE THIS ARTICLE WITH AS MANY FRIENDS AS POSSIBLE, you could save their lives.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I remember when Gerald Ford was being interviewed at one time, he sounded and appeared to be inebriated. Turns out he was having a stroke.

Rich, this is a very good and simple way to recognize a stroke. Thank you for posting!

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks Rich for that post. Eveyone should know how tell when a person is haveing a stroke or hart attack

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Rich,
A good list of basic symptoms. However, it won't capture all those who suffer strokes because some symptoms do not always fall under that list.

Almost four years ago, I had a blinding pain in one of my eyes once (felt like somebody was sticking a knife into my brain) and couldn't see out of that eye for a while. I had terrible migraine headaches thereafter for a year.

At the hospital, I was referred to a whole battery of several tests at three different facilities, including MRIs (three at different intervals during the first two years). I was told that I had a stroke at the time of the initial occurance. The headaches were from the brain inflammations that followed the stroke (shown with MRIs). We were never able to determine exactly what the inflammations were and the cause of them. The MRI was to track them and if they got worse, then invasive exploration would be needed. After three years of no change with MRI results, I count myself lucky I don't need to undergo the knife. I thought it odd that the stroke could be manifested as severe eye pain.

Perhaps there are different kinds of strokes? :idunno:

Actually, getting back into martial arts was what helped the symptoms decrease. The migraines are about gone, so I am hoping that is a good sign. I've been told if I get another eye pain like that or an increase of migraines to come in for another MRI. Knock on wood that I don't need another one for a long time.

At this point, I no longer stress about it. I'm just happy to be able to continue with martial arts and spend time with my famiy. I've decided I'm going to just live life and enjoy it. Staying home worrying isn't going to help me or my family. I'll take whatever comes along the way.

- Ceicei

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Long ago, at a previous job, one of the managers walked into the office...a nice, elderly lady. She babbled something utterly incoherent, then calmly walked out. No one thought anything of it, as she had a quirky sence of humor and liked to kid around. She then proceeded to the smoking area outside, where she collapsed from a stroke. Luckily, she eventually recovered, though she ended up retiring.

To this day, I wish I was able to recognize the impending stroke.

Cthulhu

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are, indeed, more than one type of annurism (stroke is one) and not all symptoms are the same.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think a stroke and an aneuryism are different, aren't they? A burst or leaking aneuryism can lead to a stroke, but that's a separate problem caused by the aneuryism?