Heart Rate and Cardio Exercise

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Anybody out there an exercise physiologist?

According to conventional wisdom, to get a good cardiovascular workout, you should aim for 65% (for beginners) to 80% (advanced) of your "maximum" heart rate, with the maximum defined as 220 minus your age. By that standard, I should be hitting around 136. But no matter how hard I exercise, my heart rate doesn't go higher than 120 or so.

Then it occurred to me: my resting heart rate is about 54, so 120 is more than twice my resting heart rate. So maybe I'm still getting a good cardio workout. Does that make any sense, or am I just lazy?

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
With a resting heart rate of 54ish, you must be in pretty good shape to start with.
With that generalized means of find ones "exercise zone" one can allow for a "give or take" situation of 10 or 12 bpm. You are probably doing alright.

What are you doing when taking these measurements? Give some details, just curious.

OP
Phoenix44

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm usually cycling or doing cardio-kickboxing. Occasionally I run. (I hate running)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Running bores me to tears. I use an elliptical trainer for cardio like this (also a bit dull).

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
As I general run for my best cardio I run hard enough so that I have to put my cigarette down

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't buy into the heart rate percentages all that much. If you're out there running, its going to be pretty hard to measure exactly where you are, unless you take the time to stop.

IMO, anytime your rate goes up more than the resting rate, you're getting a cardio workout. Are you breathing harder than you normally would? Does your heart rate seem like its beating faster than normal? If we can answer yes to those questions, ones cardio is being improved upon.

Mike

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
MJS said:
I don't buy into the heart rate percentages all that much. If you're out there running, its going to be pretty hard to measure exactly where you are, unless you take the time to stop.

IMO, anytime your rate goes up more than the resting rate, you're getting a cardio workout. Are you breathing harder than you normally would? Does your heart rate seem like its beating faster than normal? If we can answer yes to those questions, ones cardio is being improved upon.

Mike

True to an extent, you not eating cheetos and suck a cigarette, so that's good.

I hate ellipticals, no science to back it or anything and nothing against others using them, they just feel lame, in my opinion. I'd rather run.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Shirt Ripper said:
I hate ellipticals, no science to back it or anything and nothing against others using them, they just feel lame, in my opinion. I'd rather run.

When I was working out at the gym, (I now workout at home), I would use the elliptical machine for my cardio. I found that out of all of the machines there, I'd get my best on that one. Gave me a great workout in addition to there being alot less impact on the knees.

Mike

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, the heart rate percentages are really just guidlines. By that calculation my maximum heart rate would be almost 4 times my resting rate. Everyone is different and as your heart gets in better shape the percentages should change. I wouldn't agree that anytime your heart rate rises above resting its a cardio workout, but raising it above resting for a set period of time on a consistent basis, I would. Everyone is different, so no one thing will fit everyone, but as far as pure cardio health, consistentcy is the key.

7sm

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
I wouldn't agree that anytime your heart rate rises above resting its a cardio workout, but raising it above resting for a set period of time on a consistent basis, I would.

Yes, thats what I was referring to.:)

Everyone is different, so no one thing will fit everyone, but as far as pure cardio health, consistentcy is the key.

7sm

Absolutely!! Unfortunately, its so much easier to put the lbs. on than to take them off. That is probably why some people may get frustrated and give up, because they don't see quick results.

Mike

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MJS said:
Absolutely!! Unfortunately, its so much easier to put the lbs. on than to take them off. That is probably why some people may get frustrated and give up, because they don't see quick results.

So true! However, for burning fat or "weight" I think its more of a moderate steady heart rate, not too fast or too slow, just moderate rate at longer times.

At least thats what "they" are saying now.

7sm

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
So true! However, for burning fat or "weight" I think its more of a moderate steady heart rate, not too fast or too slow, just moderate rate at longer times.

At least thats what "they" are saying now.

7sm

Yes, I hear the same thing. Many of the cardio machines out there today have programs where you can set it for fat burn, cardio, endurance, etc.

Mike

OP
Phoenix44

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well, taking off pounds is different than getting a cardio workout. Taking off pounds can be as simple as walking a mile a day where you DIDN'T walk a mile a day before. Not necessarily pushing your heart rate, but it burns calories.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MJS said:
When I was working out at the gym, (I now workout at home), I would use the elliptical machine for my cardio. I found that out of all of the machines there, I'd get my best on that one. Gave me a great workout in addition to there being alot less impact on the knees.

That's it for me. I use the one at the gym at work, and it gives me the best combination of a hard sweat and low stress on my knees. The cycle doesn't stress me enough, but jogging/treadmill is tough on my knees. The stairmaster and the rowing machine figure in to my cardio workout, but the elliptical machine is the best deal for me.

It took me a few times trying it to adjust to the motion!

OP
Phoenix44

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well, I guess I have to assume that whatever I'm doing, it's keeping my resting heart rate in the 50s, which means it's enough of a cardio workout.

Personally, I like cycling best, because you can actually go someplace on a bicycle. But it's getting a little chilly lately...

Do you folks own your own stationary bikes, ellipticals, etc? I'd like to buy something for indoors, but they're so expensive. Of course, there's always FIT TV...

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would consult a physician if your really worried about getting a workout designed to your own heart rate, but I personally wouldn't consider a workout that didn't raise your heart rate past 60 a realy cardio workout. Fat burning for sure, but the heart must be pushed just like any other muscle. You need to really push the heart rate up higher to really workout the heart (cardio).

Again, just my own personal opinions,
7sm

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Phoenix44 said:
Well, taking off pounds is different than getting a cardio workout. Taking off pounds can be as simple as walking a mile a day where you DIDN'T walk a mile a day before. Not necessarily pushing your heart rate, but it burns calories.

IMO, if you're getting on a machine and working hard, you're going to be getting the best of both..cardio and fat loss.

Mike

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Phoenix44 said:
Do you folks own your own stationary bikes, ellipticals, etc? I'd like to buy something for indoors, but they're so expensive. Of course, there's always FIT TV...

I bought a treadmill. I'll alternate my workouts with walking one day and running the next time.

Mike

M

MountainSage

I consider cycling to be the best choice because it can be done inside and outside. Cycling can be incorporated into your everyday life; ride to training hall,work, or get a trailer and go to the store. You can ride year-round, even up North if you have the right gear and mental strength. If you don't feel you aren't getting a good cardio workout then increase a couple of gears and ride uphill.

Mountainsage
Michael Wood

OP
Phoenix44

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You can ride year-round, even up North if you have the right gear and mental strength

I guess I'm lacking the mental strength...I'm not really happy in the cold!

:idunno:

Latest Discussions