Reciprocal line for reverse cap, bil, and tan.

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hey all, sharing a concept out of Wing Chun as I've practiced it. We call it the reciprocal line, curious if there are other names for it in other lineages. Hope you all enjoy!

OP
lansao

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It can sometimes feel like you need to pick a fight about people’s art to get engagement. I mean, it makes sense, forum of fighters, haha. I’ll take 0 response over that. But following up and would love to have some technical discussion.

Last edited:

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
So you are talking about generating force out sideways from the back as opposed to from center of mass right?

I do that, but not in a Wing Chun sense. That's where a jab comes from sometimes after a slip or a weave, either if I can't get my line back or if I intend to throw a round kick or back kick.

I also do the bong to tan thing a lot, but generally followed by a lop; but I use that from my gaurd on the ground to get to the outside. On the feet stuff like that is pretty hard to pull off.

OP
lansao

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
So you are talking about generating force out sideways from the back as opposed to from center of mass right?

I do that, but not in a Wing Chun sense. That's where a jab comes from sometimes after a slip or a weave, either if I can't get my line back or if I intend to throw a round kick or back kick.

I also do the bong to tan thing a lot, but generally followed by a lop; but I use that from my gaurd on the ground to get to the outside. On the feet stuff like that is pretty hard to pull off.

The bong to tan makes a good transition point for lop, that’s smart. Good transition point for that reverse cap and bil too.

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
A slightly different method that I employ is twisting my hips aggressively to face the dummy as I sidestep and transition the bong into a tan.

Last edited:
OP
lansao

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
A slightly different method that I employ is twisting my hips aggressively to face the dummy as I sidestep and transition the bong into a tan.

One small piece of advice that I can offer is to drop your shoulders more as you deliver power through your palms on the Tan Da, otherwise you'll only be using your wrist and elbow power, and you won't be able to use your back and shoulder muscles properly. Or as some would say, "duh chi get stuck".
Great input, thanks for sharing. On the hip twist, are you switching stance as you cut in?

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Great input, thanks for sharing. On the hip twist, are you switching stance as you cut in?
We tend to utilize the hips like DanT stated. The footwork is similar to yours but is done without stopping and resetting the stance as you are showing. It done as a single motion vs two.

OP
lansao

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
We tend to utilize the hips like DanT stated. The footwork is similar to yours but is done without stopping and resetting the stance as you are showing. It done as a single motion vs two.
Got it, good to know. When you cut the angle, are you switching stance?

OP
lansao

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Gotcha, picking up what you're putting down. For reference, the right strafe banks on the reciprocal line to deflect with the left arm and optionally strike off that left arm in that first step. From there you can recapture and strike again in a second step.The footwork should really be more fluid though and time between that strafe and recapture should try to approach 0 with practice.

OP
lansao

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yes, from a right shifted YJKYM to a left foot forward Biu Ma.

Interesting. I’m not familiar with those acronyms. When you say right shifted YJKYM, does that mean your feet are pointing to the right? Also biu ma, is that a forward stance? Our footwork naming conventions are all in English and don’t seem to align, although I imagine many of the postures and transitions are similar.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Interesting. I’m not familiar with those acronyms. When you say right shifted YJKYM, does that mean your feet are pointing to the right? Also biu ma, is that a forward stance? Our footwork naming conventions are all in English and don’t seem to align, although I imagine many of the postures and transitions are similar.
You know, the goat riding stance.

The pidgeon toed stance maintained throughout slt

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
"Right shifted YJKYM" is the stance you would find yourself when doing a turning punch with your left hand.

"Biu Ma" is a front stance.

OP
lansao

lansao

Purple Belt
Reaction score
"Right shifted YJKYM" is the stance you would find yourself when doing a turning punch with your left hand.

"Biu Ma" is a front stance.

Gotcha, thanks for that. Our left neutral might correspond to the right shifted. Good to know about biu ma, we just call it front stance.

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Gotcha, thanks for that. Our left neutral might correspond to the right shifted. Good to know about biu ma, we just call it front stance.
Yes I forgot that's what TWC calls it.

Latest Discussions