(Recipes) Mixed drinks to die for

geocad

Green Belt
Reaction score
Although my intensions for drinking are not to get drunk it just happens to end that way from time to time. Now and then I really like good beer and/or red wine but on occation I like a good 'foo foo' or the other so called 'girly' drink. My new favorite is called a "SUNNY-BOY" (very similar to the Tequila Sunrise but slightly modified and stronger).

SUNNY-BOY - double shot Tequila, orange juice, banana liqueur, and a splash of strawberry liqueur or daiquiri mix (blended with or without whip cream on top). Try it, you'll like it. I think it's new because not too many places (here in AZ) have heard about it.

What are other good foo foo drinks worthy of mentioning? Please list the recipe too if you know how it's prepared.

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Make iced tea. Insert copious amounts of sugar. Mix well. Insert ice cubes and straw. Enjoy!

*salivates*

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The official drink of Salem, Mass.

"Wharf Rat"

1 1/2 oz light puerto rican rum
3/4 oz apricot brandy
4 oz orange juice
3 oz sour mix
1/2 oz grenadine

Blend and pour over ice in a snifter
Float 1/2 oz Goslings 151 rum
Garnish with lime wheel
drink with a straw.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Make iced tea. Insert copious amounts of sugar. Mix well. Insert ice cubes and straw. Enjoy!

*salivates*

Actually more my speed these days (actaully the last 15 years or so), just without the sugar. Speaking of tea, I'm off to make some. Thanks for the idea.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
There's always the Padded Attacker (invented after a Women's Self Defense class)...

Red Gatorade, Arrak, and Absinthe :barf:

More seriously, the people who brought you good Absinthe, as well as other really cool things like Un Sapin, Pointiane, Liqueur Perique (yes, it really is flavored with tobacco, no it won't kill you, and yes Tim Breaux is a genius chemist for doing both of those things at the same time) and really good cherries in kirsch have a new one. They've found a source for Creme de Violette. Does anyone know any of the old drink recipes which use it?

OP
G

geocad

Green Belt
Reaction score
Okay, not quite a foo foo drink but definately worthy of mentioning. The Liquid Cocaine (shot) contains equal parts:

Gold Schlogger (sp?), Rumple Mints, Jaggermister (sp?) and then float 151 on top. When made correctly the drink is actually closer to 2-3 shots rolled into one drink meant to go down fast.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Carol, since you mention the Wharf Rat I feel it's only fair to warn you that Tiel wrote a story by the same name. It's loosely based on a scene from The Wind in the Willows. Don't thank me yet. Read it first...

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Usually, I'm a purist. My hard alcohol choices are Single Malt neat, or cognac/armagnac. On occasion, I love a greyhound. It's gotta be with fresh squeezed grapefruit juice and decent vodka though. I'm also a snob.:drinkbeer

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh, I guess it would have to be a Classic Cuban Mojito.

Glass: Highball
Garnish: Mint

• 1-1/2 oz Cuban Rum
  • 1 oz Lime Juice
  • 1/2 oz Sugar Syrup
  • 8 Mint Leaves
  • Top Club Soda

Muddle mint, sugar syrup and lime in base of glass. Fill glass with ice and then add rum and fill with club soda and stir.

OP
G

geocad

Green Belt
Reaction score
While bartending during my college years I once burned my good friend with a Flaming Dr. Pepper. He twitched just before dropping the shot into the beer and spilled his shot on his arm. His arm caught on fire and he spilled the beer freaking out.

Flaming Dr. Pepper-
3/4 shot of Amaretto
top shot off with 151 rum
4/5 pint of beer (Bud or any other light beer works well)

Pour beer and set aside. Pour Amaretto and then float 151 on top. Light shot and drop into beer. Drink fast because the combination causes the beer to fiz and overflow. Tastes like a Dr. Pepper.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sonny from Miami Vice movie ordered this drink. Thanks for the recipe. It sounds refreshing.

One important point that doesn't really jump out in the link I posted, but it is stated. Be sure to use Key Limes or I think they may also be called Mexican limes. They are very tart and the flavor will be much better.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hot White Russian.

Glass full of ice.
2. oz. vodka
2 oz. coffee liquer
fill rest with milk
sprinkle cayenne pepper over top.

Hmmm. That give me an idea.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Forgot the mixed drinks to end all mixed drinks, the Irish Coffee.

1 jigger good Irish whisky. I find Bushmills Black Label to be perfect.

Sugar to taste, usually 1-2 teaspoons

Strong black coffee to fill the glass 1/2" below the rim

Fresh whipped cream on top

This is a perfectly balanced drink that covers all four of the major food groups: Sugar, fat, alcohol and caffeine. :)

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The worlds driest Martini. Hold the shaker next to the phone and call your best friend in Finland to wave the dry vermouth over the reciever.

Latest Discussions