Reasons for dropping out of (or taking a break from) Taekwondo (or another martial art)

OP
lifespantkd

lifespantkd

Blue Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
oftheherd, what wonderful opportunities you've had to do more than book learning. Fantastic!

Cynthia

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I always took karate through non-profit organizations. The second dojo I attended from 13-16 lost too many members and had to close down. I spent six months of the following year in Kempo and three months in Taekwan Do after that. At 17 I left home and was living on the street so my priorities changed. I spent the next six years getting a job, moving from place to place, completing my high school and earning two college diplomas.

At 23 I moved to Red Deer and I met a group of JKDers whom I studied with for about a year, then I moved to Toronto and got an office job.

I got comfortable, then I got soft, then I got weak. I ate junkfood, stayed up late and exercise meant walking to the bus stop. My self-esteem was never great to begin with and I annihilated what was left. My willpower and motivation dissolved and I'd occasionally "rage-out" in disgust with myself and hit myself. My self-abuse escalated until one day I came to work with a bruised-up face and my boss had a chat with me.

I took a $16,500 pay cut, had to downsize my living arrangements and my lifestyle. I had little money left over so life stopped being comfortable, my softness began to reverse and my resolve (and sanity) began to recover. I imagine the irony isn't lost on you...I became more stable and grim. My sense of humor took over my rage and if I was hungry, sit-ups. If I was bored, push-ups. If I missed my ex or my family, chin-ups. In three months I was hard again.

My original style is Chito-Ryu and our honbu (flagship) dojo, run by Canada's Chito-Ryu Kyoshi, Shane Higashi, is located in Toronto. My boss was willing to sponsor my return to the martial arts and paid all my dues and bought me a gi. I took full advantage of his generosity and dove into it every day, at least three hours per day. I stayed in Toronto until last February and moved to Vancouver. Currently I'm making arrangements for personal training with an MMA Fighter, Murray "Showtime" Sogen (look him up, he's young but he's good). I also study boxing at the Astoria Gym three times a week, wrestle my mates and engage in backyard tameshiwari.

I'm not a disciplined person. Instead of self-discipline I tend to punish myself for percieved failures. Add to that that I'm a creature of extremes and you can imagine my lack of progress. Instead of feeling like I've failed at life though I lowered my expectations. I detest falling into patterns and routines. It makes it tough to keep to a training schedule.

vikings827

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi Cynthia:
I am sure there are many reasons for continuing/quitting TKD.

1. I transferred to another school that was much more time consuming. I was 21. I was a brown belt.
2. I returned 2 years ago. I am 57 now. So, 34 years off.
3. I returned at the urging of my younger brother. He's just a kid (54 years old). He has ALS, and continues to practice still, as much as he can. He was diagnosed 2 years ago, and we had a serious discussion about ALS and TKD. He told me "there is no reason you can't start up again". This is the very short version, but it was a very heartfelt talk. He kept telling me I was always the athletic one, and I had no excuse for not picking TKD up again.
4.I joined an ATA group. I know about the bashing. I don't care about this, I am 57, have one kidney, and don't want full contact. In fact I can't afford to have full contact. I sparred my 4th degree instructor 2 night ago, I know enough that he is EXCELLENT. He is that good. I was running 25 miles per week, lifting and doing other cardio, so I was in very good condition. I always have been.
5.My motivation from my younger brother was enough.
6.My age made it the most difficult. 2 hamstring pulls, meniscus surgery in May, and groin pull (that one is the worst) in August. Stuff like this never happened in my teens and 20's. I found myself doing kicks mentally like a 20 year old, but in a 55 year old body.

I will not stop until I can't do it anymore. I have made many friends at my ATA dojo, they know my background, and support my efforts. They are a second family.

Scott

OP
lifespantkd

lifespantkd

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I always took karate through non-profit organizations. The second dojo I attended from 13-16 lost too many members and had to close down. I spent six months of the following year in Kempo and three months in Taekwan Do after that. At 17 I left home and was living on the street so my priorities changed. I spent the next six years getting a job, moving from place to place, completing my high school and earning two college diplomas.

At 23 I moved to Red Deer and I met a group of JKDers whom I studied with for about a year, then I moved to Toronto and got an office job.

I got comfortable, then I got soft, then I got weak. I ate junkfood, stayed up late and exercise meant walking to the bus stop. My self-esteem was never great to begin with and I annihilated what was left. My willpower and motivation dissolved and I'd occasionally "rage-out" in disgust with myself and hit myself. My self-abuse escalated until one day I came to work with a bruised-up face and my boss had a chat with me.

I took a $16,500 pay cut, had to downsize my living arrangements and my lifestyle. I had little money left over so life stopped being comfortable, my softness began to reverse and my resolve (and sanity) began to recover. I imagine the irony isn't lost on you...I became more stable and grim. My sense of humor took over my rage and if I was hungry, sit-ups. If I was bored, push-ups. If I missed my ex or my family, chin-ups. In three months I was hard again.

My original style is Chito-Ryu and our honbu (flagship) dojo, run by Canada's Chito-Ryu Kyoshi, Shane Higashi, is located in Toronto. My boss was willing to sponsor my return to the martial arts and paid all my dues and bought me a gi. I took full advantage of his generosity and dove into it every day, at least three hours per day. I stayed in Toronto until last February and moved to Vancouver. Currently I'm making arrangements for personal training with an MMA Fighter, Murray "Showtime" Sogen (look him up, he's young but he's good). I also study boxing at the Astoria Gym three times a week, wrestle my mates and engage in backyard tameshiwari.

I'm not a disciplined person. Instead of self-discipline I tend to punish myself for percieved failures. Add to that that I'm a creature of extremes and you can imagine my lack of progress. Instead of feeling like I've failed at life though I lowered my expectations. I detest falling into patterns and routines. It makes it tough to keep to a training schedule.

Thank you for your honesty, Em. You have persevered through some very difficult times. Do any of your martial arts offer a philosophy to help sustain you?

OP
lifespantkd

lifespantkd

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hi Cynthia:
I am sure there are many reasons for continuing/quitting TKD.

1. I transferred to another school that was much more time consuming. I was 21. I was a brown belt.
2. I returned 2 years ago. I am 57 now. So, 34 years off.
3. I returned at the urging of my younger brother. He's just a kid (54 years old). He has ALS, and continues to practice still, as much as he can. He was diagnosed 2 years ago, and we had a serious discussion about ALS and TKD. He told me "there is no reason you can't start up again". This is the very short version, but it was a very heartfelt talk. He kept telling me I was always the athletic one, and I had no excuse for not picking TKD up again.
4.I joined an ATA group. I know about the bashing. I don't care about this, I am 57, have one kidney, and don't want full contact. In fact I can't afford to have full contact. I sparred my 4th degree instructor 2 night ago, I know enough that he is EXCELLENT. He is that good. I was running 25 miles per week, lifting and doing other cardio, so I was in very good condition. I always have been.
5.My motivation from my younger brother was enough.
6.My age made it the most difficult. 2 hamstring pulls, meniscus surgery in May, and groin pull (that one is the worst) in August. Stuff like this never happened in my teens and 20's. I found myself doing kicks mentally like a 20 year old, but in a 55 year old body.

I will not stop until I can't do it anymore. I have made many friends at my ATA dojo, they know my background, and support my efforts. They are a second family.

Scott

Good for you--and your brother! And, thank you for your input.

Latest Discussions