RBSD talks a big game about “situational awareness,” but nobody actually teaches it, except a few people?

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think you are underestimating the value of accurately predicting violence before it happens. And also the depth of skills that can be developed to do this well.
Unless you've lived on a desert Island until your 30th birthday then I doubt very much if the average martial artist needs or has time to study all of that. I would say that you're wasting time & should concentrate on your physical training.

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Unless you've lived on a desert Island until your 30th birthday then I doubt very much if the average martial artist needs or has time to study all of that. I would say that you're wasting time & should concentrate on your physical training.
That's an opinion, based on your knowledge and experience. I also have met a lot of people who don't think they need martial arts training because they carry a weapon. Lots of different options floating around.

OP
G

GreenieMeanie

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I think if someone is a little street wise & has some basic common sense then I see no need for all this.
Might be important if you're Secret Service Guarding the President as I'm sure they recieve teaching in some of these things.
For a switched on person in a Dojo.. nope

It's not preparation for a PHD. It's real simple stuff, that only takes a matter of hours to learn the basics of.

Look at the relevant materials, before you make judgements based on a single original post.

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I never said you needed anything. I only advised on the act of assuming.
Well I don't need to assume anything as I know from my experience, real life facts. You see some people are Theoretiker & others are doers. Think of it this way. You went to the academy & I got a field commission.

OP
G

GreenieMeanie

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Well I don't need to assume anything as I know from my experience, real life facts. You see some people are Theoretiker & others are doers. Think of it this way. You went to the academy & I got a field commission.
As much as I would have a response to this—it’s clear you have an axe to grind, and there’s not much point to conversation until you deal with that.

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It's rare to meet someone who has figured everything out on his own, without training. I wish I had that ability! I know you are against people training at these skills, but not everyone is blessed with your natural talent and IQ.

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It's rare to meet someone who has figured everything out on his own, without training. I wish I had that ability! I know you are against people training at these skills, but not everyone is blessed with your natural talent and IQ.
I'm ex military so maybe that's why amongst other things

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I know it's difficult to express tone via text. I want to express in all kindness that you are coming off in a way that is discrediting your opinion.

If you wanted to talk via pm I would love to have a friendly conversation to get to know you better. Maybe say a few things without calling you out publicly. Up to you?

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
That's just your opinion. Being honest with you I don't need lectures from someone who thinks he knows but in reality it's all just theory.
Let's leave it there, old chap
I mean, do you ever say something that demonstrates maturity and wisdom? Bragging about common sense then displaying zero is such a massive failure in "self-awareness" it calls into question your ability to understand "situational awareness" or any subject.

I don't need adolescent drama. I'm done responding to your posts. I only have time for adult conversations.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

The issue is that situational awareness is just that. Situational.

And I don't think it is necessarily intuitive.
(Which is the problem with most situational awareness training by the way.)

Eg. This.

Now whether or not it works doesn't matter. The point is still valid.

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
And I don't think it is necessarily intuitive.
(Which is the problem with most situational
Along with common sense people lack this..
Screenshot_20220919-122545_Google.jpg

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Let me give you an example..
A nerdy looking geek decides he wants to go into a biker bar full of rowdy guys with his cute Teacher wife.
Would this be a good idea? Now his wife is plain but pretty & is showing some nice curves.
Or would it maybe be better to avoid the said Bar & go to a nice Bistro 15 minutes away? Talking everyday situations here.
Another example:
Nerdy guy is at the bar, two loud rednecks are eye balling him & grunting farting. He needs to pee...is it wise to turn his back to them & go into the mens room alone? What could be their intentions? Can he risk it..
Ok a bit of fun here but you know what I'm saying.

Latest Discussions