Head bouncing on concrete

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have watched a lot of people being knocked out in street encounters lately. Everyone has a cellphone going these days. But I also have seen a lot of unconscious people bounce their head on concrete after falling.

That's scary and can lead to some extremely serious injuries or death. I'm not a huge fan of Lee Morrison but I have heard him talk about grabbing and striking, so you can control their decent upon knocking them out.

I think there is some validity to this. I also think this is one more reason the Muay Thai clinch is valuable. Being able to even articulate an attempt to keep them from bouncing their head would go a long ways in a police report to set the stage for a positive legal aftermath.

Thoughts?

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have watched a lot of people being knocked out in street encounters lately. Everyone has a cellphone going these days. But I also have seen a lot of unconscious people bounce their head on concrete after falling.

That's scary and can lead to some extremely serious injuries or death. I'm not a huge fan of Lee Morrison but I have heard him talk about grabbing and striking, so you can control their decent upon knocking them out.

I think there is some validity to this. I also think this is one more reason the Muay Thai clinch is valuable. Being able to even articulate an attempt to keep them from bouncing their head would go a long ways in a police report to set the stage for a positive legal aftermath.

Thoughts?
yes i agree & keep you out of jail. however in a brawl on the cobbles it´s not always easy if it´s a fight with more than one person. Nowadays kids will kick you in the head until your passed out or worse. for me it depends on the situation, if i´m fighting for my life...no rules simple as that.

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score

Thoughts?
I think it depends on priorities, but also your instincts and reflexes. My father and my old Shorinji Kempo sensei (who was an a police detective in the UK for 10 years) are both very big on ensuring you defend yourself as best as you can, but to do so legally too. In the UK, the laws are very strict - it is not like in some USA states where you can escalate the situation in retaliation. It is very illegal to use more force than what the aggressor is using, and even then you can still wind up in jail. It was not long ago that a man was arrested for using a kitchen knife to defend himself from home invaders.

The way I see it, in the UK, if anything happens I am guaranteed to be fined or incarcerated, regardless of my response, especially if they find out I train in martial arts. Regardless of the fact that I may not be the aggressor, the fact that I am trained places a certain responsibility upon me to control the situation under the eyes of the law (correct me if I am wrong, I believe this is how it is). Because of this, unless I run away or escape, 9 times out of 10 I will be in the wrong too - so I might as well make sure I defend myself to the best of my ability, regardless if I escalate the situation or not.

Furthermore, it is not easy to control your reactions in a real-life situation. Even in jiujitsu competitions, I find myself taking action before thinking ahead about whether it's the right thing to do. My body reacts before my mind analyses or perceives. If some random person on the street decides to kick me out of nowhere, and my reaction is to catch the kick and sweep them and they crack their head on the pavement, then I'm going to jail - but I did not consciously or premeditatively plan to do so; my reactions and instincts did.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's the most common way to die from an "unarmed fist fight" and happens much more frequently than most people are aware of.

Thoughts?
It's also a good argument from grappling.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Thoughts?
I don't try stop the bullet if I shoot a gun in self dfense. I don't try to stop the fall of my attacker when I send him to the ground. I have no assumptions that I'm so good at fighting that I can afford to care for my attacker's safety. If I could then I wouldn't fight knowing that I was that dominant.

OP
J

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't try stop the bullet if I shoot a gun in self dfense. I don't try to stop the fall of my attacker when I send him to the ground. I have no assumptions that I'm so good at fighting that I can afford to care for my attacker's safety. If I could then I wouldn't fight knowing that I was that dominant.
Fair enough, but what I'm saying is that with the clinch, you are far more likely to naturally control his fall. Or at least be able to articulate that you attempted to.

I'm not saying someone needs to take on this moral responsibility. I'm only saying it's something to consider. You may have good reason not to want to clinch based on the situation.

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Fights can move awfully fast and crap simply happens. I would like to think that I can, with my amazing locking skills (yeah right!) set the perp down easy. Most civilized folk don’t want a confrontation, let alone bounce someone off the pavement. Most civilized people, even when a bit crazy mad can usually be talked out of a confrontation. But being nice can also get you killed. Seconds count. The true criminal does not have your best interest in mind, regardless of some woke laws about self defense. You are simply in the way of what they want. You are disposable. Watching cop videos where they are bending over backwards to be as civilized as possible with the perp, only to have the perp escalate to the point of being shot teach us much. Only a civilized person would, at the point of confrontation, consider the surface and determine it to dangerous to defend themselves on. “I know you’re threatening my life, but can we please take it over to that grassy area?”

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Fights can move awfully fast and crap simply happens. I would like to think that I can, with my amazing locking skills (yeah right!) set the perp down easy. Most civilized folk don’t want a confrontation, let alone bounce someone off the pavement. Most civilized people, even when a bit crazy mad can usually be talked out of a confrontation. But being nice can also get you killed. Seconds count. The true criminal does not have your best interest in mind, regardless of some woke laws about self defense. You are simply in the way of what they want. You are disposable. Watching cop videos where they are bending over backwards to be as civilized as possible with the perp, only to have the perp escalate to the point of being shot teach us much. Only a civilized person would, at the point of confrontation, consider the surface and determine it to dangerous to defend themselves on. “I know you’re threatening my life, but can we please take it over to that grassy area?”
I've seen a fight where the mma guy wants to fight on the grass so he moves to the grass then his attacker follows and loses lol

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So you're at your 27th Annual Family Reunion and Uncle Fred gets drunk which makes him froggy and he takes a poke at you. So you're just gonna throw him on his head and let the depressed skull fracture happen or are you going to try to mitigate it a bit because you really don't want to kill him?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So you're at your 27th Annual Family Reunion and Uncle Fred gets drunk which makes him froggy and he takes a poke at you. So you're just gonna throw him on his head and let the depressed skull fracture happen or are you going to try to mitigate it a bit because you really don't want to kill him?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
That's not even closely the same thing.
1. I don't have family members who would attack each other like an attacker on the street.
2. If someone has a family member who they might have to fight like that then may be they shouldn't hang around that person or show up at the Family Reunion. Be proactive is what I say. Either don't invite the aggressive family member or don't show up at the family reunion.

Now if I did have a family that I felt that I need to attack like that then there would have been clues that we hated each others guts and then that would be a clue for me to not be around him, which is #2 above. I had an uncle who used to get drunk and become a risk for the family. My dad laid down the rules. "If you are going to be drunk then you can't be here." Which leads back to #2.

My family is not above disowning family members. Family rule is that the head of the house will not let 1 family member bring down the rest.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Being able to even articulate an attempt to keep them from bouncing their head would go a long ways in a police report to set the stage for a positive legal aftermath.
When talking with the police... you need to be very careful.... and you need to understand ALL of the laws. I would speak to lawyers and police in the place where you live to get a good understanding of what to say and what not to say. You could end up digging your own grave... or just adding years to your sentence....

Use of force laws usually talk about when you can use what amount of force. I have yet to see one that says that you can use a certain level of force, if and only if you control their fall. Either you can use that level of force or you can't.... easing their fall after using that level of force does not change anything....

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's the most common way to die from an "unarmed fist fight" and happens much more frequently than most people are aware of.

It's also a good argument from grappling.
Even in the rural area I live in now we see subdural bleeds at the hospital fairly often. This is a college area with lots of bars.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
I whipped his *** last year at Thanksgiving for taking all the skin off the turkey, I’m likely to stab him with a turkey bone shank. If he disrespects like that again, he will be layin in gravy. ;)

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's not even closely the same thing.
1. I don't have family members who would attack each other like an attacker on the street.
2. If someone has a family member who they might have to fight like that then may be they shouldn't hang around that person or show up at the Family Reunion. Be proactive is what I say. Either don't invite the aggressive family member or don't show up at the family reunion.

Now if I did have a family that I felt that I need to attack like that then there would have been clues that we hated each others guts and then that would be a clue for me to not be around him, which is #2 above. I had an uncle who used to get drunk and become a risk for the family. My dad laid down the rules. "If you are going to be drunk then you can't be here." Which leads back to #2.

My family is not above disowning family members. Family rule is that the head of the house will not let 1 family member bring down the rest.
You don’t? Oh man there was always blood at my fam gatherings. I wasn’t raised right. Dominoes and liquor can get the blood flowing.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
There doesn’t need to be a skull fracture. A good bounce is plenty to kill a fella.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There was a case a while back where a bouncer punched a famous cricketer and killed him.

It cause a huge uproar. And the bouncer barely got off a manslaughter charge.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You don’t? Oh man there was always blood at my fam gatherings. I wasn’t raised right. Dominoes and liquor can get the blood flowing.
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully that will change with the younger generations and generations to come.