Rate My Kung Fu Video (Display Strikes & Self Defense)

stonze

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

I practice some strikes and combos on the dummy, then I do some kicking drills on the bag. I then do 5 Self Defense scenarios with my sparring partner.

I do a 5 punch strike combo, a 14 kick combo, and I even break out a baby Ip Man punching series on the bag. Can you count how many punches I land?

Ip Man Punching Sequence 1:44
Self Defense Breakdowns 1:58

The 5 scenarios are as follows in order
1-Defend Against A Sucker Punch
2-Defend against a grab
3-Defend Against A Knife Attack
4-Defend Against A Gun To My Back
5-Defend Against A Pole, Club

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think it's AWESOME! I think you and your partner have a future in TV.

OP
S

stonze

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
thanks for the feedback
out of the 5 scenarios..which 1 was your favorite?

Happy-Papi

Green Belt
Reaction score
I like all of them especially when your partner shouted "I hate you" which added realism to your drills. Love the orange gun and bat too. The kids practicing on the background are very cute. Keep it up!!!

OP
S

stonze

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have a tournament 2morrow at my dojo
I'm doing the kata and self defense.. i hope I can walk away with a trophy, that would make my day

thanks for the feedback on my video.. also, if you have any helpful tips to help me out, i am a white sash, but people tell me I'm skilled to be so low in rank thus far.. So I just always look to improve on everything I do

Prostar

Green Belt
Reaction score
OK, let's talk about kicking for a moment.

Ever see one of those wooden toys with the string down the middle, that when you pull the string the arms go up and the legs go out? You kind of remind me of that.

What I'm asking you to do is to mentally cut the string that is attached between your hands and your feet.

When you kick, your upper body should not be activated at all. It should be completely relaxed and flowing along with the kick.

Then you can kick with more power, with less effort, without your upper body trying to go another way.

One more thing I would like you to do is to lead with your belt. The kicks really weren't that bad, but from a critiquing point of view, I look for something to lead the way. If you lead with your upper body, the legs trail. If you lead with your feet, the upper body trails. Lead with the belt and both move together.

So, three things...
1. Cut the string.
2. Lead with the belt.
3. Send more video.

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
Which style of kung fu? Most of the self defense looked good. The only one that I think is incorrect is the gun disarm. Honestly, a gun to the back is a bad position to be in. Have you done this drill with a airsoft or a simunition gun? If so, can you really turn and control that firearm from that position, before his brain gets the nerve to his finger to squeeze the trigger? Your best bet, from that specific position is give him your wallet and not die.. If he wanted you dead, he would have assassinated you right off the bat.

I think that maybe that move should be pressure tested with a airsoft or simuniton gun to see if it works.. Just looks like way to much movement that is taking to long to execute. Ill show this video to my instructor and see what he says.

OP
S

stonze

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
thank you very much for the detailed feedback... I'm taking all the helpful info in.. thank you very much
I will post the video of the tournament 2morrow once i get everything edited and rendered

OP
S

stonze

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
yes, please show it to them just to see what they think.

I was taught 2 gun disarms.. one from the back which i did in the vid..and one from the front.. where basically..if the gun in in the attacker's right hand pointing at me..i quickly dash to my left at almost a 45 degree angle and quickly lock his right wrist into a eagle claw wrist lock with my right hand, then secure the lock with my left hand and twist his wrist down, then up..making sure i keep the gun pointed at the attacker's body the whole way up.. flip him with the wrist lock, then finish him off on the ground.. by this time, the pain in his wrist would have made him drop the gun anyhow

aaradia

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
This has been bugging me since you posted this elsewhere. I have to ask.

Your labeling your video as "deadly" moves strikes or whatever..... is this your take/ attitude or what your school is telling you? I hope it is yours, because you can unlearn that attitude a lot easier than if your school is coming across with that attitude towards self defense.

It is all well and good to teach gun defense, but I sincerely hope your school is being realistic about just how BAD a situation you are in if it actually comes to gun defense. I hope they are not teaching you that you have "deadly" moves to counter a gun attack.

I hope they teach you to hand over what they want, run away if you can. And use such moves ONLY if you think you are going to get shot no matter what. Please, do NOT use your "deadly" moves except as a very last resort against a gun. It would be a shame to get shot when handing over a mere wallet could save your life

Because if your school is NOT teaching you about gun attacks with some sense of reality, you are going to build a false confidence and the likely deadly scenario is you getting shot.

Especially two months into training.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
As you advance in your training, your self defense moves need to be done against a partner who is not a slightly animated dummy. The sucker punch defense is reasonable, if done quickly and smoothly -- but isn't it likely that the guy attacking you would have a second punch lined up, and probably try to throw it? That's just one example. I hope you do well; you've clearly worked hard and drilled them well.

OP
S

stonze

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
i was the one who labeled it "deadly" because if they were done in a real life situation, the end results would be deadly self defense that would render an attacker useless.

as far as the gun goes, yes they do teach us that we are not superman..and how deadly a situation with a gun can be

OP
S

stonze

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
thanks for the feed
i think they will teach us more advanced scenarios life having another punch lined up..but for now, this is what they taught me

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I kinda dont like being the first person to be really critical. Ill just let you work on the presumption that the stuff im not mentioning i consider to be fine, rather than having to justify criticism using praise :)

I will say though that your making one defense a 'go-to' isnt a bad thing, as long as *you* selected it.

2:00-2:05, the sucker punch one.
1: He was WAY too far away. You could have just leaned back slightly and it would have been fine.
2: He telegraphed excessively. It tends to happen when you tell people to throw a haymaker the way they see other martial artists who are told to throw a haymaker throw one. The arm isnt pulled back, so much as it goes back to follow a circular motion. Try just throwing a big wide hook starting from your hips, and watch in the mirror. Your arm goes back. Thats basically a haymaker.
3: You were prepared for it. The second he moved you twitched into your predefined motion. BEFORE he even started punching. He stopped walking, you started blocking. Watch it slowly. Thats not bad if you do that for real, but for real, youre not gonna know what hes doing, he wont be the only person in the area, you wont be expecting the punch, and chances are by the time you work out what youre supposed to do, itll be a bit late for that.
4: He just stops completely after the first punch. No momentum, no following strikes, no shoving, grabbing, nothing. Its a very limited exericse.
5: He started falling slightly before you threw him. Thats just a training leftover, but still. He wasnt 'trying' to keep attacking.

2:06-2:13, the grab one.
1: People dont grab you like that just to stand around doing nothing. Its a push, a pull, a shove, a headbutt, a knee, a grab and punch, or a grab-stand-right-up-close-and-yell-in-your-face.2
2: Same thing. He doesnt even try to stop you. But thats okay. Its just that by these standards, he grabbed your shoulder, so you threw him on his back, beat his head in, and smacked his arm up.

2:13-2:20, the knife one.
Okay, basically, im just going to be very nice and say that he was nowhere near close enough to stab you, he wasnt trying to cover the distance, he froze the second you started your counter, he didnt even attempt to stab you again, he didnt use his free arm for anything, and he basically just let you set up your... defense. Other than that, this hurt my poor delicate eyes slightly less than some of the other... stuff you can find around.

2:20-2:28, the gun one.
1: Guy brings a gun means hes risking imprisonment for using a deadly weapon, let alone whatever he wants off of you. Shooting you the second you do anything twitchy is much safer for him than risking being imprisoned for attempted murder if he does nothing. Youre counting on him not wanting to shoot you.
2: Again, hes just standing there. I second the suggestion to get a training weapon.

2:28-2:35, the club one.
1: He isnt even trying. Hes slowly straight-arming the thing out of range at your head, stopping before you even do your defense before your head, then waiting while you do your defense.

In the name of being helpful; (counting 1-5 for each one)
1: Get him to sucker punch you as if he actually wanted to hit you. Thats all, really. You dont typically walk past someone then try to hit them straight on. Think about it. Closer, less telegraphed. Thats it!
2: Actually make the grab serve a purpose other than giving you something to wrap your arm around. You know, whatever HES using it for. Thats it!
3: Yeah, do whatever you want mate.
4: Its not really a situation thats easy to defend against. Try being the attacker, and emulate 'shooting' the second you freak out because the other person moves. I guarantee, youll do it before his defense every time.
5: Same as the knife.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
thanks for the feed
i think they will teach us more advanced scenarios life having another punch lined up..but for now, this is what they taught me

Having another punch lined up might be an advanced scenario in the gym, but its a normal scenario for anyone doing the attacking. And they do more than line it up.

aaradia

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
i was the one who labeled it "deadly" because if they were done in a real life situation, the end results would be deadly self defense that would render an attacker useless.

as far as the gun goes, yes they do teach us that we are not superman..and how deadly a situation with a gun can be

Very relieved to hear your school has a more realistic attitude.

I strongly suggest talking to your instructors about thinking about things like that. This whole "I have the deadly ultimate moves thing" is not a good attitude to approaching martial arts. ESPECIALLY against a gun attack and ESPECIALLY beginning your training- no matter how quickly you are picking things up.

OP
S

stonze

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
thanks for the evaluation and break down of each scenario
i greatly appreciate it man

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi Stonze

I practice some strikes and combos on the dummy, then I do some kicking drills on the bag. I then do 5 Self Defense scenarios with my sparring partner.

I do a 5 punch strike combo, a 14 kick combo, and I even break out a baby Ip Man punching series on the bag. Can you count how many punches I land?

Ip Man Punching Sequence 1:44
Self Defense Breakdowns 1:58

I'll get to the crux of all of this at the end, but for now, what is the purpose of the combinations, particularly the kicking ones? If it's just to work on balance, or accuracy, or similar, it's fine. From a practical standpoint, though, it's far better to be able to throw one solidly, rather than a lot of taps. Count how many punches you land? Nah. I prefer to see how few it takes to be effective... my ideal is one. But that's my approach... your system might be different, and that's fine, provided the reason is understood...

The 5 scenarios are as follows in order
1-Defend Against A Sucker Punch
2-Defend against a grab
3-Defend Against A Knife Attack
4-Defend Against A Gun To My Back
5-Defend Against A Pole, Club

I like the attitude, you're obviously taking things seriously, and want to develop realistic skills. That said, I'd hesitate to say too much either in criticism or in praise of anything I saw there, for reasons to be explained as we go.

yes, please show it to them just to see what they think.

I was taught 2 gun disarms.. one from the back which i did in the vid..and one from the front.. where basically..if the gun in in the attacker's right hand pointing at me..i quickly dash to my left at almost a 45 degree angle and quickly lock his right wrist into a eagle claw wrist lock with my right hand, then secure the lock with my left hand and twist his wrist down, then up..making sure i keep the gun pointed at the attacker's body the whole way up.. flip him with the wrist lock, then finish him off on the ground.. by this time, the pain in his wrist would have made him drop the gun anyhow

If I'm reading this one right, I can see where the thinking is, but it's not quite what I'd advise. There are a range of aspects missing, as well as a few other things, but again, I'm not getting too far into detail here...

Those actions were far from "deadly". And, really, that's a good thing. Most self defence isn't "deadly", and shouldn't be... but it is common to think in that way.

thanks for the feed

Good. Here's the crux.

You're young, and you're very new to the system you're training here (a few months, yeah?). As a result, while I think that filming yourself can be great, and help with your monitoring of your development, you need to bear in mind that any issues in your performance could be down to a lack of experience and understanding of what you're being taught. The knife and gun defences shown, for instance, I can see as being a little less than ideal... although I can also see what the ideas behind them are. My advise is to, as much as possible, ask for advice from your teacher, rather than people on the net... as your instructor will know at what level you should be performing, as well as how close you are to what you're supposed to be doing. I'd also advise leaving off ideas of "deadly self defence", as that just leads to fantasy, rather than reality.

So, well done on the effort, but for now, your focus should be on learning what you're being taught... and realizing that the best (and, for now, the only) source for advise you should be looking to is your instructor.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
S

stonze

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
excellent feed my friend

Yea those kick combos I did on my own just to test my balance and stability

Latest Discussions