Rank when changnig dojo/dojang/etc

jared555

White Belt
Reaction score
I was reading on here that when you change schools at least at some ranks/arts you go back to white belt. Is this the case with all arts/ranks or just certain ones?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends entirely on the school, the teacher, and the individual student.

Come to my class as a new student, with experience elsewhere, and we may move you up to green belt -- or not. It depends on what you know and can do.

tallgeese

Green Belt
Reaction score
It will vary based on all those things above. For my part, if you've earned a rank in another system then you can continue to wear that rank.

It doesn't mean you hold that rank in the style we practice, it just means you've earned that rank somewhere and should get to continue to wear it.

It's kind of a moot point because we're rarely in a gi but the principle is there.

OP
J

jared555

White Belt
Reaction score
I should have been more specific but I was reading where people within the same art would be dropped back to white belt when they changed between schools within that art due to the number of schools that just give away ranks, etc.

Also, do these factors include blackbelts, etc?

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just started training in EPAK a few months ago, after a hiatus from the style for 20 years. I have BB rank in other styles, but I chose to put back on a white belt. I was given the option and I chose to start over. My Wife(a 4th Dan in Chito-ryu) did the same.

Every time I have started a new style, I put back on a white belt. IMO, it is the only way to go.

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think it differs a little.

There are certain training devices or methodologies that have to be met from style to style or even different Instructors of the same style.

Requirements also have to be met, in other words you may be a b.b. in the same style but not up to the spec's of a different teacher of that given style.

So again it depends.

Now for CMA for example, most likely especially in certain families (take note families) you would start over and then continue after what the Sifu would say. As to take the poison's out of you 1st before you progress, just another way of stating your not up to his/her standards or specs for that given style. It gives the Teacher the chance to form you and shape your M.A.

So there's really no definite answer its up to the Instructors judgment.

But good luck with that!

Shinobi Teikiatsu

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think, if it's an in-style change, then you should have your instructor contact whatever instructor you're going to train with, and then see what they say. At the same time however, you could make the choice to start as a white belt again, when it really doesn't make much of a difference. If your skill is black belt level, the belt doesn't change that. If you have skill, your instructor will notice and rank you accordingly.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was reading on here that when you change schools at least at some ranks/arts you go back to white belt. Is this the case with all arts/ranks or just certain ones?

I should have been more specific but I was reading where people within the same art would be dropped back to white belt when they changed between schools within that art due to the number of schools that just give away ranks, etc.

Also, do these factors include blackbelts, etc?

It will depend on the school and teacher. I changed schools. It was still a Kenpo system, however I went from Parker Kenpo to Tracy. I still wore my black belt when I went to class. I was still acknowledged as a 3rd degree, however, I started from the beginning and learned the required material at my new school. I tested and am ranked as a BB at that school. The test was basically a toned down version of what a typical 1st degree test would be. By toned down, I mean, while it was still a physical test, I didn't do pushups, situps, etc. I ran thru a few kicks, punches, but not to the extent as someone testing for the first time. That is not how the test was designed. I did however, go thru all of the techs and kata, and yes, by the time I was done, I was pretty tired. :ultracool

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only the children wear belts in our club and we let them keep the belt they came in with. They only stay for three years at the very most before moving on again. it would be unfair to them to make them go back to white.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I recently changed styles and put on a white belt again. Even though I have earned black belts in other styles, it isn't right for me to go into another style and another school and wear someone else's rank - particularly when I have NO knowledge about the style. Wearing that belt would misrepresent me to those around me....which is the biggest thing. Dans are viewed as teachers and as a brand new student in a style, wearing a black belt, no one could ask questions and I would be at the level of a beginner.....so what does wearing that belt get you??

BlueDragon1981

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I know of this first hand. Generally it depends on the school. I am a brown belt in Goshin Jutsu Karate. Recently I just joined up with a Shotokan school. The instructor said it was up to me. So my choice was to start from white. I don't want any special treatment and wish to progress like anyone else. Most the basics are the same however so it should allow for a somewhat faster progression. Now I just need to stop the katas from jumbling up in my head ;)

I do have a question though. When you do start over what is the proper ediquette in appling your previous experience. I mean I am finding it hard not to speak up when I see something wrong on the basic techniques. However I'm a white belt now. Is it my place? Or should I because they could benefit from my past knowledge.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I do have a question though. When you do start over what is the proper ediquette in appling your previous experience. I mean I am finding it hard not to speak up when I see something wrong on the basic techniques. However I'm a white belt now. Is it my place? Or should I because they could benefit from my past knowledge.

You should keep silent unless asked for your input. Different styles execute the same technique different ways, for example consider the differences in the side snap kick in taekwondo and karate. While your prior experience in another system may be helpful to you personally, it does not mean you understand the hows and whys of your new system. Best to leave the teaching to the actual instructors of the style.

BlueDragon1981

Brown Belt
Reaction score
You should keep silent unless asked for your input. Different styles execute the same technique different ways, for example consider the differences in the side snap kick in taekwondo and karate. While your prior experience in another system may be helpful to you personally, it does not mean you understand the hows and whys of your new system. Best to leave the teaching to the actual instructors of the style.

Thanks. Much of the techniques are indeed the same. However you are right that there are some that have different "methods" you might say. How about sparring? Or Waza?

So far like you said I have not said a word because I feel its the instructors choice if he wants my help ;)

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I certainly wouldn't correct anything done in another style, because it may already be correct. But my recent experience is that the instructors want to know that you have past experience. Plus, you won't be able to keep it secret for long....

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I know of this first hand. Generally it depends on the school. I am a brown belt in Goshin Jutsu Karate. Recently I just joined up with a Shotokan school. The instructor said it was up to me. So my choice was to start from white. I don't want any special treatment and wish to progress like anyone else. Most the basics are the same however so it should allow for a somewhat faster progression. Now I just need to stop the katas from jumbling up in my head ;)

As others have said, it may be best not to say anything. Due to the fact that many arts have the same punches, kicks and blocks, application could very well be different, so while it seems that application is 'wrong' its possible that it may not be.

Of course, there is nothing wrong with asking a question. For example:

"Sir, in my old school, we threw this particular punch this way. I notice that you are doing it like this now. Could you explain the differences, so I can get a better grasp of your art?"

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
How about sparring? Or Waza?

Depends on the type of sparring. If you mean tournament sparring, all systems will look largely the same since the rules force you to use certain techniques in a certain fashion to be successful.

With regard to traditional sparring, I teach goju-ryu karate which has entirely different aims from shito-ryu karate, although both systems do share a common link back to Kanryo Higashionna. Shito-ryu tends to teach a speedy entry in and a quick entry out, peppering your opponent with strikes along the way. Goju as I was taught theorizes entry into the opponent with the intent to crush the opponent with an inside strike with options to throw him down or force a controlling hold.

These are generalizations but they hold some truth to them. I teach a system rather than a collection of techniques, so naturally it would be my preference that the only instruction in my dojo come from myself or a designated student. Sure you can impart some tips that might be helpful in a generic context, but would they necessarily further a specific style flavor? Perhaps not.

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've been told it's somewhat annoying to see a white belt with the technique and knowledge of a more experienced rank and have been told to wear the blue belt even when I didn't feel I was qualified. Their solution was to beat some kata into me. Within two weeks I was able to display adequate knowledge of a blue belt in their system, though some of my stances and techniques had old habits.

I prefer sweat pants, T-shirt and sneakers now out of principal.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

You're a beginner in that style; what was "wrong" in one system may not be wrong in another.

For example, many styles make a basic fist by clamping the thumb down over the first two fingers. But a few styles place the thumb on top of the index finger; change schools and "everyone" is punching wrong. Except they're not -- according to THAT SYSTEM.

Even if it's truly an error -- as a student, not a teacher -- your job is to learn, not correct other students.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with those who say that it depends on what you move to; if it's a similar style, then retaining rank would be more likely. I've spent 22 years learning Ch'ang H'on style TKD; if I joined to a class that did a different pattern set, I would have a lot to learn - but not as much as if I joined a judo class. I would talk to the instructor before starting, and do whatever s/he wanted me to do - but I would prefer to start again as a white belt unless I stayed within a Ch'ang H'on style class, and even then, I would do whatever the instructor preferred.

As far as questioning technique, and technical differences, I agree with jks - whatever is right in that class/style, is right - you can politely ask why it is done that way, but telling the instructor, or other students, they are wrong would, IMHO, be rude, at best. Ask why they do what they do - with no value judgment attached; there are pros and cons to virtually every variation - the fun lies in learning why.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just started training in EPAK a few months ago, after a hiatus from the style for 20 years. I have BB rank in other styles, but I chose to put back on a white belt. I was given the option and I chose to start over. My Wife(a 4th Dan in Chito-ryu) did the same.

Every time I have started a new style, I put back on a white belt. IMO, it is the only way to go.

i really like wearing a white belt. nobody expects anything from you.

jf

Latest Discussions