Random Airport Screenings Resume

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do they have a reason to start them back up or did they think to themselves, "Hey that was fun lets do that again!"

No idea, but if I had to guess, I'd say its a CYA thing. Maybe they have been slacking so they figure they better start doing them again.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wonder if there've been any cases of a bomb being planted in the cargo, and being set off by remote device from someone in the plane.

Well then - since no terrorist has done it, no need to check for it.

Then again, I wonder how much of the baggage is screened, but we dont see it.

According to the TSA's testimony to Congress, quite a bit.

http://www.tsa.gov/press/speeches/031809_kelly_air_cargo.shtm

As of a couple days ago, they screen 50% of it. The rest - not.

I mean, I've gone on a few cruises. Considering there are thousands of people, it'd take all week to screen every bag, thus, the use of dogs.

They have had 8 years to get this done. Failed.

But more intensive passenger screenings will make up for it.

Right.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No big deal either way... people who get all uppity & indignant about it are looking for a reason to raise hell anyway.

If you don't stand up for your rights, they'll slowly be stripped away. I'm indignant at being treated as a criminal for wanting to fly in an airplane. Making a fuss at checkpoint isn't a useful way to protest--the people there can't change the policy--but I am not happy about the current system, and I sure as heck want my congressman and senators to know that.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well then - since no terrorist has done it, no need to check for it.

Well, who knows, just like 9-11, I'm sure noboyd dreamed that they'd use planes as weapons to crash into buildings, I'm sure it'll only be a matter of time before some nut does plant something in the cargo area.

According to the TSA's testimony to Congress, quite a bit.

http://www.tsa.gov/press/speeches/031809_kelly_air_cargo.shtm

As of a couple days ago, they screen 50% of it. The rest - not.

Kinda like the random screenings and DUI checks....TSA doesnt check every passenger and every pieve of luggage, and the LEOs dont stop every car. I'd be willing to bet that if the cars that went thru the checkpoint were stopped at another check point, we'd be surprised as to what go thru.

They have had 8 years to get this done. Failed.

But more intensive passenger screenings will make up for it.

Right.

8yrs to get what done?? Don't know if you've ever been on a cruise Bill, but if you havent let me tell you.....every time you want to get back on the boat, you have to scan a card, which will show your pic. on the screen so they can match it, as well as put anything you bring back on board, thru a scanner. Cry about it...well, forget about getting too far, because you won't.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I wonder if there've been any cases of a bomb being planted in the cargo, and being set off by remote device from someone in the plane. Then again, I wonder how much of the baggage is screened, but we dont see it. I mean, I've gone on a few cruises. Considering there are thousands of people, it'd take all week to screen every bag, thus, the use of dogs.

Explosive Detection Systems work more efficiently than dogs, and can detect more threats. Despite their moniker, an EDS can detect more than just explosives.

Baggage/cargo gets loaded in to an EDS system at a port (incl. an airport). Sometimes every bag gets screened, sometimes random bags get screened - depends on the port. The system then sends a series of radio waves across the baggage, with the waves targeting a set of detector crystals on the opposite side of the wave. The detector crystals receive the wave that is modulated by whatever material the wave went through. The crystals act as a transducer, that turn the the modulated waves in to an electronic signal. Its akin to a bag getting an MRI or CT-scan.

The signal is then run through a bunch of algorithms (that have generally been programmed manually). After the signal goes through the algorithm, the result is a digitized image of what sort of matter the wave actually went through as it traveled through the bag.

As the signal goes through the algorithms, the algorithms will be checking for types of threats. If the compound appears explosive, the image will be highlighted a certain way to alert the human screener. Most EDS systems can also check for radioactive materials, heavy metals (such as lead), wires (esp. loose wires), weapons, and magnets. Some units, especially those deployed at ports can also check for drugs. Some of the larger units can detect stowaway passengers.

The trouble with EDS units is their price. Someone has to pay for the units; the burden has generally been borne by us (taxpayers). The ports (including airports) also need sufficient physical space and infrastructure to support an array of them (multiple units are required to process a load of baggage in an efficient manner). EDS units are notoriously heavy. The smallest units are about 1600Kg (about 3500 pounds) and the larger ones are many times that amount. Most ports were not designed to support 50,000 - 100,000 pounds of detection equipment focused in one area, therefore remodeling is required to build a proper physical plant.

So, yes, the equipment is there, and use of it is growing...slowly.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Those TSA guys are a real friggin pain in the drain..I did the walk through with the boots off and as I started to put them back on I realized that I dropped my wedge and the insisted that they do a complete search AGAIN despite the fact that they saw me the whole time..

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you don't stand up for your rights, they'll slowly be stripped away. I'm indignant at being treated as a criminal for wanting to fly in an airplane. Making a fuss at checkpoint isn't a useful way to protest--the people there can't change the policy--but I am not happy about the current system, and I sure as heck want my congressman and senators to know that.

You're right & I do agree.

BUT... everybody nowadays is pretty much aware of the rules & regs for clearing security at airports. People who can't seem to follow the rules & regs for packing carry-ons, laptops, etc... and then get as cranky as a 4 year old without a nap just make it worse the experience for the rest of us who just want to pass on to our gates.

At this point I'm not sure what the Congressional body can do/would do based on security policies, procedures & purchased equipment in place. I mean there's been a butt load of money dumped into the whole thing. Do you really want the gov't to waste all of that??? C'mon...

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
8yrs to get what done??

8 years to obey Congress. They were ordered by Congress to screen every piece of cargo that went onto passenger aircraft. They have been hauled in front of Congress every year since then to explain why they have not yet done it. They make lots of excuses, but they still have not done it. 8 years, they have been given explicit, direct, orders and have failed to comply.

If you do not check all the items that go on a passenger plane, you do not have security. Period. You can look up all the passenger's hoo-hoo's with a flashlight - if any terrorist can put a bomb with an altimeter or a timer or a remote control in a box and SHIP it via plane, guess what? You do not have security.

So that's my complaint. There is zero point to all this passenger hassle - it doesn't stop anything. A fence around three sides of a four-sided property is not a fence.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Explosive Detection Systems work more efficiently than dogs, and can detect more threats. Despite their moniker, an EDS can detect more than just explosives.

Baggage/cargo gets loaded in to an EDS system at a port (incl. an airport). Sometimes every bag gets screened, sometimes random bags get screened - depends on the port. The system then sends a series of radio waves across the baggage, with the waves targeting a set of detector crystals on the opposite side of the wave. The detector crystals receive the wave that is modulated by whatever material the wave went through. The crystals act as a transducer, that turn the the modulated waves in to an electronic signal. Its akin to a bag getting an MRI or CT-scan.

The signal is then run through a bunch of algorithms (that have generally been programmed manually). After the signal goes through the algorithm, the result is a digitized image of what sort of matter the wave actually went through as it traveled through the bag.

As the signal goes through the algorithms, the algorithms will be checking for types of threats. If the compound appears explosive, the image will be highlighted a certain way to alert the human screener. Most EDS systems can also check for radioactive materials, heavy metals (such as lead), wires (esp. loose wires), weapons, and magnets. Some units, especially those deployed at ports can also check for drugs. Some of the larger units can detect stowaway passengers.

The trouble with EDS units is their price. Someone has to pay for the units; the burden has generally been borne by us (taxpayers). The ports (including airports) also need sufficient physical space and infrastructure to support an array of them (multiple units are required to process a load of baggage in an efficient manner). EDS units are notoriously heavy. The smallest units are about 1600Kg (about 3500 pounds) and the larger ones are many times that amount. Most ports were not designed to support 50,000 - 100,000 pounds of detection equipment focused in one area, therefore remodeling is required to build a proper physical plant.

So, yes, the equipment is there, and use of it is growing...slowly.

Thanks for the breakdown of this machine Carol. :) Going by what you said towards the end, ie: cost, weight, etc., I'm going to assume this is the reason for using dogs vs. this machine.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
8 years to obey Congress. They were ordered by Congress to screen every piece of cargo that went onto passenger aircraft. They have been hauled in front of Congress every year since then to explain why they have not yet done it. They make lots of excuses, but they still have not done it. 8 years, they have been given explicit, direct, orders and have failed to comply.

And this is the main problem. They should be fined and forced to do it, because we all know as soon as something happens, the questions of "Why" this or that will come up, like always. "Why wasnt this bag checked?" Why was this person allowed to board?

If you do not check all the items that go on a passenger plane, you do not have security. Period. You can look up all the passenger's hoo-hoo's with a flashlight - if any terrorist can put a bomb with an altimeter or a timer or a remote control in a box and SHIP it via plane, guess what? You do not have security.

I'm sure right after 9/11, everyone was checked, then the security got lax again.

So that's my complaint. There is zero point to all this passenger hassle - it doesn't stop anything. A fence around three sides of a four-sided property is not a fence.

Sadly, it'll probably take another tragedy for people to wake up. Seems like thats the typical par for the course nowadays.

Latest Discussions