Questions regarding MA-80

Bester

<font color=blue><B>Grand UberSoke, Sith-jutsu Ryu
Reaction score
"Hmmmm" what?
It's a 2 year old post. Search around enough on any forum and you'll find conflicting things.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well either they encourage the propagation of MA-80 or they (WMAA) dont. If they NOW dont. Why the change? I would think an encouragement from the top dog would be acceptance...Unless the organization announced a different statement I havent seen.

Bester

Reaction score
The message in question:
Good Luck Dan Anderson

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We at the WMAA would like to wish Dan Anderson good luck with his endeavors to propagate his MA-80 organization. It was an interesting ride while he was a member of our organization and has left us with some very lasting memories. We hope his martial art journey is very rewarding.

Respectfully,
Datu Tim Hartman
World Modern Arnis Alliance

Looks like any other "neutral" seperation statement I've seen. I've seen similar notices when people have left or been force to leave jobs under less than pleasant circumstances.

Encouragement is not the same as endorsement. I've told many people "Good Luck" when I really meant "Sod Off."

Anyway, what do you care? Working on a sokeship or know anyone who is?

Bester

Reaction score
Mr. Anderson,
Where can we find your videos and books? Also, where will you be touring this summer?

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Bester said:
The message in question:

Looks like any other "neutral" seperation statement I've seen. I've seen similar notices when people have left or been force to leave jobs under less than pleasant circumstances.

Encouragement is not the same as endorsement. I've told many people "Good Luck" when I really meant "Sod Off."

Anyway, what do you care? Working on a sokeship or know anyone who is?
Well..if these guys didnt want input from the peanut gallery then perhaps this shouldnt be in a public forum eh? For that matter why do you care? :idunno:

Bester

Reaction score
I don't. But you didn't answer my question.

A detailed search didn't turn up any other statement. I just wonder how many others aren't able to read between the lines on the original.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hmm..I dont really know what the question is. Unless its that "Soke" comment which is no ...and no.:idunno:

Unless you are implying that Dans promotion is equivalent to a "sokeship"? If this is a "soke" thing. I think an individual with a high rank in an art who takes that art in his own direction is miles different from someone who takes two 1st dans, puts together his own style in a mish mash and declares himself a 10th dan. Could be wrong but thats how I see it.

Bester

Reaction score
You're right, they are different. I don't think Mr. Anderson is dumb enough to buy a sokeship. I honestly think taking a small difference and claiming a foundership to be a little misleading, but Mr. Anderson's karate background, competition experience, various publications and seminar instructions as well as being a 6th under a well respected innovator such as GM Presas may allow for such things. It's a different story if one was say, only a 3rd in one art, and had no current rank in others but somehow became a founder and swapped rank with his buddies. I mean, that sort of thing is a bit less honorable.

If Mr. Anderson believes that his additions/changes to the core Modern Arnis system qualify it as deserving it's own distinction, that is his call. It would I think have been more of an issue if he had called it "Anderson Style Modern Arnis". Ultimately, regardless of the names it is called, or the ranks/titles in play, it is Mr. Anderson's ability that will be the determination of "worth". Not us arguing on a forum, thousands of miles apart. It is Mr. Andersons ability to pass his vision down, through his books, videos, seminars and most importantly, his students. Students being a reflection of the teacher, if their skills are sharp, their form good, and their honor intact, it will grow.

Anyone can write a book, or make a video. Any idiot can teach a seminar. Trust me, I know. But in the martial arts, it is that ability to pass on your knowledge that will tell the tale in the end. GM Presas had an organization, and helped create and develop many excellent martial artists such as his Datus, Senior Masters and MOTTS. What they do with what he gave them, and what they pass on I think will tell if they were worthy of those titles and honors. A guy with 5 students, no blackbelts, working out of his garage is alot different than someone who has a sucessful seminar career, or video library, etc.

There seem to be people in the Modern Arnis world that for what ever reason have problems with these people. The Hartmans, Wordens, etc. They seem to do stuff, and inspire alot of good people to learn good things. Pity you all can't work together more, but instead have to spend so much time tearing each other apart. I doubt any of you have "learned it all", and if you think you have, more is the pity.

But, what do I know? Other than all the "knotted panties" that are constantly on display here are a poor reflection on your art, yourselves, and most importantly your founder. It tends I think to drive more people away from studying Modern Arnis than atracts. But, who cares right? As long as one gets the final word, and had kicked his "enemy"'s ***, who cares if in the process they themselves look the fool, right?

No concern of mine really, just an outsiders view on how stupid all this bickering looks. I'm done. I have ninjas to annoy, soke's to make cry, and losers to fry! :wavey:

DoxN4cer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Bester really hit the nail on the head.

FWIW, Dan Anderson is a class act. He makes every imaginable attempt to be friendly with everyone. No matter who screws him, he won't say a bad word about them. Moreover; he is man enough to settle his differences with people person to person, and if it cannot be resolved he's happy to quietly let it be. Furthermore; Dan's presentaion of Modern Arnis/MA80 is clean and damn near unadulterated RP Modern Arnis. He does not scrub material from videos and seminars of other prominent FMA instructors and inrtuduce them as "innovations" the Professor's art or independently discovered "new concepts". He's honest about what he does. I doubt that many of his critcs can say the same.

All this fuss two years after the Dan Anderson/WMAA split would certainly lead a reasonable person to believe that it is all orchestrated to draw support away from Dan's training camp. It's all territory that has been visited before. Do we really want to go there again? Hmm?

It's Dan's gig. Leave him to it.

r/

Tim Kashino

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Little tangent Bester, but has Dr. Hatsumi initiated any plan to prevent these same issues with his art when he eventually passes?

DoxN4cer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Dan Anderson said:
The key here is that RP never publicly clarified any of the titles. The recipients have but up to his death, RP never did. I include the senior master title I recieved as well. What was publicly verified and validated was numerical rank. I do not doubt that things were said behind closed doors. Hell, how many of us were privately slated to be the successor?
Too many. that is what I mean by my remark.

I snipped you post for brevity, Dan. No dis...

The Professor said a lot of things behind a lot of closed doors. I think that often it may have been just what his audience at the time wanted to hear. Yes, I know it's not a nice thing to say. However, you can't deny it. I too have been present when the Professor told me (and people around me) "how he really felt" about certain people. These statements, however, were not for the public and would simply cause more friction.

One things for sure; everyone thought that they got what the wanted, and everyone felt like the #1 student in his presence.

r/

Tim Kashino

Bester

Reaction score
DoxN4cer said:
Bester really hit the nail on the head.

FWIW, Dan Anderson is a class act. He makes every imaginable attempt to be friendly with everyone. No matter who screws him, he won't say a bad word about them. Moreover; he is man enough to settle his differences with people person to person, and if it cannot be resolved he's happy to quietly let it be. Furthermore; Dan's presentaion of Modern Arnis/MA80 is clean and damn near unadulterated RP Modern Arnis. He does not scrub material from videos and seminars of other prominent FMA instructors and inrtuduce them as "innovations" the Professor's art or independently discovered "new concepts". He's honest about what he does. I doubt that many of his critcs can say the same.
That sounds like you're speaking about someone specific. Well damn it man, name names. Don't drop hints and tease us like that. Call a spade a spade already!

All this fuss two years after the Dan Anderson/WMAA split would certainly lead a reasonable person to believe that it is all orchestrated to draw support away from Dan's training camp. It's all territory that has been visited before. Do we really want to go there again? Hmm?
I've seen alot of the past pissing, moaning and game playing. Bunches of nobodies, think they should be somebodies, can't let their deeds speak for them, so they play games on the internet. It's all best left in the past. We shouldn't light the shadows nor should we dishonor the dead.

It's Dan's gig. Leave him to it.
Yup. It'll prove it's worth or not over the next few years. I even heard there was a rumor they were going to get Brad Pitt to play Mr. Anderson in a movie version of one of his books. (just kidding, sorry ladies.)

Bester

Reaction score
Tgace said:
Little tangent Bester, but has Dr. Hatsumi initiated any plan to prevent these same issues with his art when he eventually passes?
My understanding is that something is plannen, but it's not spoken of at this time. I'm not a member of the Buj, so am not privy to the info.

DoxN4cer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Bester said:
That sounds like you're speaking about someone specific. Well damn it man, name names. Don't drop hints and tease us like that. Call a spade a spade already!

Do not tempt me so...

Now Bester, you know better than that. If I named names, then I would get flamed and suspended... maybe even banned. That's how things work when someone brings reality into this little cyber-reich that we've all come to enjoy so much. Besides; the people I'm alluding to know who they are, and they know that I'm talking to them. That's enough for me.

Do a little research, and you'll figure it out. If you've ever trained with them it would be very evident to you as well. I'm not being coy, just staying within the parameters of MT rules.

r/

Tim Kashino

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
DoxN4cer said:
I snipped you post for brevity, Dan. No dis...

The Professor said a lot of things behind a lot of closed doors. I think that often it may have been just what his audience at the time wanted to hear. Yes, I know it's not a nice thing to say. However, you can't deny it. I too have been present when the Professor told me (and people around me) "how he really felt" about certain people. These statements, however, were not for the public and would simply cause more friction.

One things for sure; everyone thought that they got what the wanted, and everyone felt like the #1 student in his presence.

r/

Tim Kashino

I would have to agree with this. Sometimes in private he would say things differently than in public.

Bester

Reaction score
But, isn't taking veiled shots at someone considered a violation of this sites "Sniping Policy"? Especially if the "shot at" parties "know" it's aimed at them?

Personally, I think if you can't come right out and say it, and say it clearly, then it shouldn't be said.

Too many games played behind closed doors by closeminded, bitter, sad old men.

Or, are you saying that this boards "Powers that Be" will censor you if you dare speak the "Evil Ones" name?

My own take on all this is that Modern Arnis is a simple system, with no real history or information to share. After all, the Kenpoists have dozens of threads on technique, form, history and such. Same is true of the Koreans, argumentive and sometimes anal bunch that they are. Let's not forget the ninjas, busy flipping out whenever a PowerRanger walks into the room. But not Arnis. No. Arnis is all about spending a few years arguing over who is king, rather than showing it. It's like reading the latest WWF pay per view. "In this corner weighing 270 pounds, I'm sorry, 217! pounds, The Pretty Boy, Datu DeeToo Tim Hartman. And in the other corner, weighing in at 265 pounds, the Oregon Destroyer, Dan The Karate Man Anderson!! Former Tag Team partners now turned bitter rivals. In The Pretty Boys Corner for this bout is the Washington Assassin himself, Datu Kelly "The Hammer" Worden. Can the two Datus get along? The rively has been bitter, but they have joined forces to defeat the Evil Mr. Anderson. Neo, where are you! In Mr. Andersons corner, a small datsun named Colin.

Join us later as we feature our IMAF grudge match, Schea vs. Delany in an empty arena."

Please, I looked at the back history, the games, the arguments. Ya'll look like a group of school yard children fighting over a bike. Let Mr. Anderson do his own thing. He'll make it, or he'll flop. It's in his hands. Everyone else, well, I guess you can actually show your art does something besides generate sad bitter jokes, or, you can go back to picking the flesh off Mr. Presas' body. Up to you all really. Arnis isn't my gig.

Latest Discussions