Questions about US gun laws by a European:

OP
M

MisterMike

Originally posted by Jmh7331
This is what most people don't understand. The reason we (the gun owners) are againsts such steps is because they are just that: Steps. One thing leads to another.

Yup. Ever see the movie Red Dawn? When the invading army got hold of the firearms registrations, all they had to do was go door to door.

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
To be fair, there's a very low probability that will happen. Historically, however, registration records have always been used to confiscate the registered items -- by the governments claiming to protect their citizens, rather than by foreign invaders.

We'd all like to think our enemies are out there, external -- alien entities easily identifiable by their "other-ness."

Our most dangerous enemies, however, are right here. They are martial artists who fail to grasp the reality of force. They are American citizens who spit on the freedoms for which those who came before them fought. They are Statist politicians who believe government control is the answer to all ills.

They are us.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Sharp Phil
To be fair, there's a very low probability that will happen. Historically, however, registration records have always been used to confiscate the registered items -- by the governments claiming to protect their citizens, rather than by foreign invaders.

We'd all like to think our enemies are out there, external -- alien entities easily identifiable by their "other-ness."

Our most dangerous enemies, however, are right here. They are martial artists who fail to grasp the reality of force. They are American citizens who spit on the freedoms for which those who came before them fought. They are Statist politicians who believe government control is the answer to all ills.

They are us.

This is true, in that they are often "us." I have changed my views a bit since keeping an eye on these few threads. I still like the idea of proper registration for many reasons, but not if it leads to mass banning of firearms. I wouldn't want any legislation requiring manditory registration unless we could somehow safegaurd against a "mass banning".