Question

Jitsu

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey wuts up guys...i just have a question and hope you guys can help me out with it...at the current time im practicing american kickboxing...never took muay thai yet though im going to be switching schools soon...but anyway my question is...does muay thai have the same similar striking skills to western boxing or is there striking different...well i would highly appreciate if you guys can help me out with this question...thanks ahead of time.

P.S. Sorry if there is a thread on this already...marc.

thaistyle

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The punching is going to be similar. The main difference with muay thai is the kicking and the use of kness and elbows. In muay thai, the round kick or thai kick as some call it, has a distinct action or movement that seperates it from other roundhouse type of kicks. There is much more hip involved to where the leg is swung like a bat and of course you're hitting with the shin.

OP
J

Jitsu

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for taking out the time to clarify that for me...marc

MetalStorm

Green Belt
Reaction score
I dont really have any experience with boxing but I have heard it mentioned quite a few times by an instructor that the hooks are usually quite a bit different in boxing and muay thai/kickboxing, it sounds like in boxing you twist your body and your front leg a lot more when doing a hook to put more body weight into it. In muay thai its not so good since your weight wont be as balanced and if you could kicked in that leg it would be easier to lose balance, with boxing you obviously dont have to worry about getting kicked in the leg.

Like I said I dont have experience with it but I have heard it quite a bit and it makes sense to me.

Latest Discussions