Need some good Heavy Bag Gloves!

viva51

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys! I new to the forum and I'm starting to do Muay Thai and I need some good heavy bag gloves! I am not really joining a gym just yet, but I am ordering a Muay Thai style heavy bag and I need a pair of good gloves to go with it! Can anyone help?
Thanks!

OP
V

viva51

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Guys! One more thing guys, since I'm just starting out on the heavy bag, how heavy of a bag glove would you guys suggest for me to buy? Maybe 12-14oz? Because their are some glove that just come in S,M,L sizes and they also have open thumbs on them as well, but since I'm a beginner I think I should buy the one's with closed thumbs. But what weight should I buy? Please help!

thaistyle

Blue Belt
Reaction score
How much do you weigh? If you're a heavyweight then go with the 14oz. They will give you the added protection your knuckles need. If you're a smaller person go with the 12oz or even 10oz. Whatever size you get just make sure they fit good. A little loose without wraps, nice and snug with wraps.

OP
V

viva51

White Belt
Reaction score

colesey

White Belt
Reaction score
I've got 12oz twins, there the best gloves i've ever used i love them! tbh as a starter just working the bag any gloves will do, it may be worth getting some cheaper gloves for now & see how you go ..

colesey

White Belt
Reaction score
Those gloves look nice, 12 oz is imo the best for all round use, i have always used 12 oz for bag, pads, sparring, everything. Like i say imo Twins are real nice gloves, quite a tight fit though but snug esp with hand wraps.

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Personally I like to start training people with NO gloves at all...This I believe keeps you from making bad habits...I feel proper form is better attained by not hitting hard in the beginning.once you're comfortable with good form ( I know what is good form?? whole 'nother thread) then get gloves that you like...I like the fingerless full contact gloves...

colesey

White Belt
Reaction score
i wouldn't recommend training on a heavy bag without gloves as this can cause damage to the knuckles etc, for some martial arts this may form part of the 'conditioning', i've never seen anyone do this in muay thai or a boxing gym. personally i think you should be wearing a decent pair of boxing gloves or atleast bag gloves & should wrap the hands to prevent injury to the wrist etc, good form should still be used.

Open handed gloves are good for grappling ma's but for MT imo you should use MT gloves ie. twins, fairtex, windy. If you compete in Muay Thai you will be using boxing gloves not grapping gloves & so need to learn how to clinch etc with gloves on.

fightstuff

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I agree with colesey on this one. Under no circumstances should you be training the heavy bag without gloves. There are many ways to train "good foam" such as shadow boxing, isokentic training, fresh air work. This is what you should be doing before you get yourself on the bag. Footwork is key. Everything in MT comes from the floor up, so if your footwork is wrong then it will reflect in your technique.

Regarding the gloves, I would go for either Fairtex, Twins, King or Raja. These are the top end of the gloves market. Windy uses a lower grade leather than the previous mentioned. I have heard of Title and the Everlast brands. However I really don't rate them because the construction and leather is so poor.

Latest Discussions