Question

A

AnimEdge

Now maybe this was said before, but a recent News artical: http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20050525155009990006
Got me to wondering again, what can we do to War Prisoners? I been seeing all this storys of what cant we do but what CAN we do is what i would like to know a Quote from that story that just erked me was this:

''Their behavior is bad,'' one detainee is quoted as saying of his guards during an interrogation by an FBI special agent on July 22, 2002. ''About five months ago the guards beat the detainees. They flushed a Quran in the toilet.''

I thought my self, what? are we now, well have we been, asking our "Prisoners" there views on how we are treating them? i can just hear it "What do you think of how we are treating you mister war criminal" "Well im not to thrilled about this whole "Prison" idea my self, i mean really, Guards? Interagation? How bout a nice Spa treatment, hating America sure takes a lot out of someone ya know"

So thats why i want to know What CAN we do to them? I know we cant have them stay up to long, or stand for a extended period of time, or not feed them, or do anything involving women, or turning off there water, or do anything with there Koran: Quote from the artical:

"In January 2003, the military issued a three-page written guideline for handling a detainee's Quran, including a stipulation that it should be handled ''as if it were a fragile piece of delicate art,'' and that it not be placed in ''offensive areas such as the floor, near the toilet or sink, near the feet or dirty/wet areas.''

So what can we do?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you where a prisoner on there side what would be the minimum stuff you'd want?

Clean water?

A place to sleep?

Being allowed to sleep?

Not being torutured?

Food?

Freedom to follow your religion?

To not be forced to do anything, or have anything done to you which you believe to be a violation of your religion and resulting in you going to hell for eternity?

In some places my understanding is that doing anything dissrespectful to a koran is punishable by death. Muslims aren't allowed to touch a non-translated version unless they are first purrified. To us it is a little... ok a lot extreme, but they have a very different set of beliefs then us.

OP
R

rmcrobertson

Well, we could try observing our own laws, the UCMJ, and little things like our international treaty obligations. We could try teaching American kids to behave decently no matter what, and we could try demanding that our politicians behave decently too. We could avoid lying and posturing ourselves into wars...

And we could try behaving better than the, "evil," we're trying to fight...you know, locking people up when necessary and interrogating 'em, pretty much as we'd do with any other criminals.

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have often wondered this myself. Observing our own and international laws is fine. I would like to know exactly what those laws allow us to do. I mean it is neccessary to interogate POW's sometimes I would think. What are we actually allowed to do during an interogation? Can they smack the guy around or not? A nice polite interview with a nap break and a hot shower for the prisoner every few hours just doesn't seem as though it would be real effective.

I am not suggesting or condoning anything, I just wonder what is actually allowed.

Latest Discussions