Question! Help I'm new :)

Eric7_27

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey I'm kind of new to martial arts. I've been taking about a year now. Well I've done tournaments around Dallas that are sponsored by the AOK (theaok.org) but wanted to know what other types of tournaments there are in the world. For instance, what's the difference between

this type of tournament,
sparring.jpg

and this one?
KC8DSC_1581.jpg

I want to attend the latter type tournaments- that look more like the olympic ones. I have noticed that the styles are different. And the AOK allows all styles whereas these tournaments only do Taekwondo. Do you have to be a part of some membership or something? All the tournaments on like USA-taekwondo.com are like national events, and what are these qualifier things for? How can I find events like that in my area?? And do you have to be a black belt to attend them? I appreciate any helpful response :)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Admin Note

Thread moved to the TKD section where it will generate more replies.

Mike Slosek
MT Asst. Admin

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi Eric and welcome.

I have never heard of the AOK, so I do not think I will be of much help to you there.

As for your bottom picture, that appears to have been taken at the recent USA Taekwondo (USAT) Senior Nationals / Junior Olympics, in San Jose.

USAT is the national governing body for TKD in the US. If you have dreams of being an Olympian, the only possible way you can reach that dream in the USA is to go through them. They are the only Taekwondo body for the US Olympic Committee.

Just a side note the Olympics use WTF style TKD and follow WTF rules. See www.wtf.org and therefore USAT events are the same.

In order to participate in USAT events, you must be a USAT member. The cost is $35 per year. They also offer a lifetime membership, but that is pretty expensive. Finally they do offer single event memberships where you can pay $7 to participate in a USAT sanctioned event if you are not an annual or lifetime member.

The 6 annual qualifiers are the starting point for the ultimate goal of making either the Sr or Jr National Team. The Jr team is comprised of 14-17 year olds while the Sr team is comprised of 14-32 year olds. Basically you go to a qualifier and if you place 1st-3rd for your division you qualify to fight in World Class for that division at Nationals. If you do not attend a qualifier or if you do not place in your division at a qualifier, you can still go to Nationals but you will fight in the Elite Open division. The good news here is that if you win gold in the Elite Open divison you will be given an opportunity to fight World Class, usually the following day. The bad news is, as the EO winner, you will get the worst seeding in the World Class bracket so you will have a tough road to follow.

If you do well enough at Nationals though you then get to go on to Team Trials which is done in a Round Robin format where everyone fights everyone else in their division at least 1 time and the person with the best record at the end of it all gets the spot on the team for the year. There are 16 Sr Team Members and 20 Jr Team Members.

I should note though that in order to be on the team, yes, you need to be a black belt. However, at USAT events yellow belts up and ages 6 and up are eligible to participate.

I hope some of that information is useful.

If you want to find WTF rules events in your area, I would suggest contacting a WTF affiliated school in the area and asking them about upcomming events. Check your phone book under Martial Arts and if any advertise as being WTF or USAT affiliated, you can give them a call and explain that you are interested in finding out about local events in the future.

Good luck.

OP
E

Eric7_27

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
wow thanks for al that info! I certainly appreciate it! So what are the oppertunities for me as a 21 year old green belt in this type of thing? How far can I person with my belt go?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Eric first off welcome, who ro you train under first? Second we so both point and Olympic and we also compete in the AOK ones Master Dillehays in Arlington every February. Right after that there is Texas State which is Olympic Style only that is in Dallas at Loos Fieldhouse then there is the Hummadang which also does tag team sparring and both point and Olympic. In August there is the Texas Cup located in Arlington Texas where GM Garcia host this one and it is a very nice small tournament. The AAU is also an option they have a qualifier and then National all iover the place and they are a great group, USAT has already been mention so I will leave that alone. But any anll of these tournaments will ahve plenty of competition for a young mid belt. If you like click on my link and e-mail me or give me a call at my school and I can go over all the option that are available to you here in the metroplex.
Master Stoker

OP
E

Eric7_27

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
^^ Huh? You do attend AOK? My academy is the Greenville Karate Dojo, and my instructor is Jorge Elizondo. I also take from Roy LaFon. I'm not really looking into changing dojos right now- but just want some more tournament options. Do any of the ones you suggested have websites? Thanks for your guys' time!

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi Eric and welcome!!

Since you are new here and don't know everyone, I just wanted to let you know that you should definitely follow Master Stoker's (Terryl965) advice and give him a call. He has a great reputation on this forum, and I am sure he is well aware of all the local tournaments that are going on in your neck of the woods. These local tournaments are (in my opinion) the best option for you right now and will probably give you everything you are looking for. After some experiences at these you will easily be able to move in to larger qualifying tournaments and beyond.
Good luck and I am glad you are here at Martial Talk! We always need more TKDers :)

DArnold

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hey I'm kind of new to martial arts. I've been taking about a year now. Well I've done tournaments around Dallas that are sponsored by the AOK (theaok.org) but wanted to know what other types of tournaments there are in the world. For instance, what's the difference between

this type of tournament,

and this one?

I want to attend the latter type tournaments- that look more like the olympic ones. I have noticed that the styles are different. And the AOK allows all styles whereas these tournaments only do Taekwondo. Do you have to be a part of some membership or something? All the tournaments on like USA-taekwondo.com are like national events, and what are these qualifier things for? How can I find events like that in my area?? And do you have to be a black belt to attend them? I appreciate any helpful response :)

Every tournament you have an oppertunity to go to... GO
The point is not if you win or loose but "if you learn"
Most students/instructors get caught up in the win/loose thing.
BAH, waste of time.

In each tournament are you smart enough to win playing by whomevers rules? Have you learned enough to be able to read and minipulate the judges? Are you good enough to be able to change what you do on the fly to win? It's not just about your opponent. How about strategy. This is what tests how good you are.

This is where most blame their loss on someone else, I was fantastic, it was the judges, the rules, the organization... simpley excuses, BOOO HOOOO.

When I was a red belt I would compete in anything I could find.
Not because of any silly medal or trophy, but for the competiton and the ability to imporve myself.

An oppertunity is an oppertunity. An excuse is an excuse.

Latest Discussions