Question about breaking concrete

pensrockman02

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi all. Long time reader, but this is my first post. I will be testing for my 3rd Dan in TKD at the beginning of September. The only requirements are to put together a demo, but of course I want it to be a memorable one for all involved. As the "finale" I hope to break concrete,which I've done before, but this time I want to light it on fire. My question is, how do I do that? I'm guessing lighter fluid and a match, but if anyone has any tips or notes of caution, I'd very greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Kerosene or canned heat works pretty well, too. There is always the fuel they use in the timing torches.

Just make sure to have a fire extinguisher handy, regardless.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Most things involving fire are pretty commonsense. Don't do this on carpet. Outside is better than inside. Fire+grass=more fire.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
P

pensrockman02

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm also concerned with fuel splashing during the break. Anyone had an experience like that before? I would imagine the fuel will soak into the concrete and not splash out but safety first I guess

rickster

Purple Belt
Reaction score
"Murphy's Law" to remember. If you plan on doing something for "the first time", that things can go wrong

Many of martial art demos went awry and the consequences are more devastating.

IMHO, don't do anything you haven't been prepared for and tested prior to

OP
P

pensrockman02

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you both for your reply. I'll let you know how it goes!

dougmukashi

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hope I am not too late for your feat, but I use 91% rubbing alcohol. It doesn't give off a bad odor, is safer too handle and burns off fast with no residue. Good luck. Post a video so we can see. I have one on you tube of 2 of my students using it.
http://youtu.be/X8DNt8XaaW4

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hope I am not too late for your feat, but I use 91% rubbing alcohol. It doesn't give off a bad odor, is safer too handle and burns off fast with no residue. Good luck. Post a video so we can see. I have one on you tube of 2 of my students using it.
http://youtu.be/X8DNt8XaaW4

Well, that's different!

Latest Discussions