A Question about breaking!!!!

Jesse

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering what the long term effects are on breaking? I'm thinking about training my hands and feet but I don't want to get arthritus and other messed up side effects from smashing through wood and concrete all the time.

Thanks for the replies.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anything that is repetitive collision of joints is apt to go to arthritis. I ran for twenty years, did high impact aerobics so knee joints were 75% there-cartilage gone, before I joined TKD about nine years ago. If I were you, its okay to do some. If you learn the right technique it is okay to do it awhile just don't get into years and years and stacks and stacks of boards/concrete. I've done knife/concrete and ridge hand to the inside of the hand. But I draw the line at hitting the hard practice board-makiwara over and over doing round kick to the instep. It would just lead to arthritis of the foot IMO. Others on this board have said that practicing high side kicks would lead to problems of the hip. Just use some common sense and listen to your body. TW

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't do "conditioning." But I can break. It's proper technique, not how ugly your hands look LOL. Sorry. Couldn't resist. Anyways, if you use the right striking surface (IE heal for side kicks, ball of the foot for round and front kicks, ect), you don't need to condition. The only time I couldn't break is when I tried a roundhouse with the instep (speed break). OUCH! I'll never do that again. Oh and if you have sucky holders, use more speed as well as the above.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you condition right and use things like Dit Da Jow, you will have lessened problems. How far you are wanting to go will ultimately decide what your chances of injury are and how it will effect you. Even though I do break, I do not take it too seriously. I use DDJ and train using iron palm techniques. I suggest that if you are thinking of breaking then you need to find a good breaking instructor. Don't think that because somebody is an instructor that they are knowledgeable in breaking. Many instructors have little to no experience in breaking.

No matter what you do be careful.

scottcatchot

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have to second the opinion about getting good instruction. I never had instruction on breaking. I was with some friends who were breaking some bricks and decided to give it a try. I was going to use my forearm, but sctually hit closer to my elbow. I broke three bricks which felt cool, but my arm hurt for two weeks. I attempted again at another time, different technique and had similar results. I am currently holding off until I get some better instruction.

Latest Discussions