Pyung Ahn Oh Dan

mssg2laura

White Belt
Reaction score
Try lifting your left foot slightly and then using it as a springboard (pressing it hard into the floor) to launch your jump. For some reason when I tried this it not only improved the height of my jump but my ability to land lower to the floor. If jumping in general is an issue I would suggest jumping onto a step/platform about 1 foot off the ground (a set of 15 slow jumps focusing on a light landing, and a set of 15 fast jumps with no pause in between). Jumping rope will also help with coordinating your jumps. Keep practicing - you will succeed!

Dana

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I do not know if you are still interested in advice, but simply go for height and not for distance. This way you do not have excessive forward movement off your dan jon.

Dana

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The kind of jump you do, really depends on what you are using it for. The move directly before it can be interpreted as a throw, so the jump could be used to jump on someone. Also, the crossed legs and hand position could indicate chokes or locks of some kind. In both of these scenarios, the jump is going to be different.

OP
agemechanic03

agemechanic03

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hehe...Yes, I have since then recieved my cho dan, but new advice is ALWAYS accepted. You never know till you try. Personally, I prefer height over distance, I can control the landing SOOO much better. I have a tendancy to tip over and look sloppy if I go for distance. Thanks!!!

Montecarlodrag

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just a question because every organization is different. What rank do you learn Pyung Ahn Oh Dan at? For us it is a requirement to go from 4 gup green to apprentice red.

Oh Dan is required to go from 3rd Gup (brown) to 2nd Gup (red).
It is also required to know Bassai So and 7 kichos.

Montecarlodrag

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hehe...Yes, I have since then recieved my cho dan, but new advice is ALWAYS accepted. You never know till you try. Personally, I prefer height over distance, I can control the landing SOOO much better. I have a tendancy to tip over and look sloppy if I go for distance. Thanks!!!

I have never found much sense in that movement (jump, block high, then land and block low with both hands while you're almost on your knees with feet crossed).

We blackbelts sometimes practice it with a low punch when landing instead of blocking. The punch is with left fist, right fist is retracted, something like a Ha Dan Kong hyuck. It is harder to keep balance, but it looks way better on tournaments and seems a lot more practical.
The highest you jump, the lowest you land and the better you keep balance, the better it looks. It looks yet better if you keep the low position for a second (without losing balance) before resuming. It helps to show you have absolute control of the hyung.

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Last night, we were told we must sit on our heel when we land. I had never gone down that far. I guess the instructors wait until we can land without falling over before they tell us we need to go all the way down!

Montecarlodrag

Green Belt
Reaction score
Last night, we were told we must sit on our heel when we land. I had never gone down that far. I guess the instructors wait until we can land without falling over before they tell us we need to go all the way down!

That is a common practice when you don't have the neccesary leg strenght, you can sit on your heel to help you land without falling or losing balance.
It's easy to notice for a trained eye when you don't have strong legs, but for everybody else, it looks ok.
Once you have developed stong legs you can do the position as it should be and hold it for a split second (it looks better).

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That is a common practice when you don't have the neccesary leg strenght, you can sit on your heel to help you land without falling or losing balance.
It's easy to notice for a trained eye when you don't have strong legs, but for everybody else, it looks ok.
Once you have developed stong legs you can do the position as it should be and hold it for a split second (it looks better).
I'm finding it harder to sit on the heel than not. :)

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I did this form in TKD, and found the balance after I land to be a bit hard. I just started kind of easing my way down slow at first, until I got the feel, and then pretty soon I didn't have a problem in the landing.

JT_the_Ninja

Black Belt
Reaction score
My biggest tip is not to try to land both feet at the same time. Just take it step-by-step:

(1) Both hands come down to right hip as left knee comes up.
(2) Push off with left foot; hands stay at right hip.
(3) Land with right foot; hands are still at right hip.
(4) Set down left ball of foot just behind and to right of right foot. Don't have them too far apart. Keep all your weight over your right foot.
(5) Rotate hips as you force your fists down in the blocking motion (which, of course, could be other things, but for the sake of description...) and bend both knees. Keep your back straight...do not lean over, as this will cause you to tip. Your weight should stay over your feet. Most of your weight should still be on your right foot, with the left there for more balance. This can be done simultaneously (or near-simultaneously) with step (4), but practice with a pause first, so you don't rush the movements. If you try to slur it all together, you stumble.

Tang Soo!

Btw, should we merge the two threads on this topic?

Latest Discussions