Punish or not?

OP
L

lvwhitebir

Originally posted by moromoro
Punish for excessive contact? Nah, it's the martial arts, and you will get hit and you have to hit.

Point taken, several people have said that, but...

Then where's the limit? What if he would have broken the guys rib? What if he maimed him? Where do you draw the line and say that the student went too far? Is it a matter of following the rules or something more than that? Something to do with intent (which you can't see)?

Also, do I as an instructor have a legal/moral responsibility in what I help create? If I know the kid is going around beating up people at school, do I have a responsibility to punish him? Don't the actions of my students reflect on me?

WhiteBirch

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by lvwhitebir

This is the reason why sparring has rules; I have to work the next day and my students do too. They have to know where the line is on contact so that everyone can spar and still be safe. I believe sparring is a required aspect of martial arts training, so that you develop reflexes in an uncertain environment against a resisting opponent.
There's also a reason for how the rules are typically structured. Usually excessive contact results in a point deduction (rather than a disqualification) so some excess contact is anticipated as unavoidable. If they are going to play the tournament game successfully, they should recognize that losing points will probably cost them the match and that calm, controlled techique is a much more effective winning strategy.

If they care about that piece of metal, they'll work to tone it down from there. ;)

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by lvwhitebir
Point taken, several people have said that, but...

Then where's the limit? What if he would have broken the guys rib? What if he maimed him? Where do you draw the line and say that the student went too far? Is it a matter of following the rules or something more than that? Something to do with intent (which you can't see)?

Also, do I as an instructor have a legal/moral responsibility in what I help create? If I know the kid is going around beating up people at school, do I have a responsibility to punish him? Don't the actions of my students reflect on me?

WhiteBirch
Depends on his intended purpose. If he attacked moves that he know will hurt the person severely, like attacking the groin or something... Yes, he should be punished.

Or during a match, if his intent is to beat the living piss out of the guy, then yes.

But, if it's a solid, perfect attack, with skill, speed, and power yet some degree of control, then no, he should not be punished.

I played football. People DO get hurt in football, and some people's mentality is to flatback the guy and break every bone in his body. Does that reflect the coach?

Now, the MA is different. Like in the movie, Karate Kid, the students reflected the teacher. But excessive contact and hitting hard is no biggie. Trust me, during training, I've had bruises all over my body, had sprains, bloody noses, etc. Getting hit hard once in a while is actually helpful for the student...

If he happens to fracture something, or pop something... It happens. But everything is in grey, you have to look at the individual situation.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
this is very different from real martial arts and non sport MA....

That's kinda the point. Learn to adjust to different situations.

OP
M

MartialArtist

would YOU PUNISH HIM IF THIS MOVE SAVED HIS LIFE IN THE STREET!!!!!!! JUST LET IT BE talk to him but dont punish
I'm not talking about the street for groin kicking.

If he does it purposely during a tournament, then yes, I would punish him. If he sucker punches the guy in the mouth, then keeps on pounding him in a tournament, then yes, I will punish hiim. But if the guy throws a kick and happens to hit his groin, that's what cups are for.

You don't see many people in the ring/octagon/wherever biting, eye gouging, groin kicking, ground and pound, or when he knocks the guy down, stomps on him.

OP
S

Shinzu

YOU ARE TEACHING THE MA'S AND NOT BALLET!!!!!!!

agreed.. thats what i tell my students when they are not showing enough spirit. i also remind them that this is not a sport. their life is on the line and they need to train like it.

as long as there was no intent to hurt then i would say all is fair. accidents do happen unfortunately, but it's all part of the training. maybe the opponent will think twice or cover himself properly next time.

in the end as long as the other guy was alright then there was no real harm done.

Latest Discussions