Punching & Kicking Trees

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
No. Rather than tear up the flora, I'll tear up things that are intended to be punched and kicked. Poor old BOB. The makiwara. Bricks. Boards. Students (KIDDING!).

OP
T

Tenacious_Red

Orange Belt
Reaction score
No. Rather than tear up the flora, I'll tear up things that are intended to be punched and kicked. Poor old BOB. The makiwara. Bricks. Boards. Students (KIDDING!).

I kind of have the same thought process, that we should be aware and protect our surroundings; take care of what takes care of us...but it's also so appealing to me and I may or may not be guilty of such activity. *clears throat*

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Does anyone here punch and/or kick trees for training? Any thoughts on the matter?
I do it all the time. :) I also hate concrete pillars. I just have to punch 'em. I tell myself it is for my betterment in martial arts, but I really just enjoy punching trees and concrete pillars. :)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are a couple steel support beams, at my work, I always give the what for to, as well. How could I forget? :)

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Unless the object has give to it for punching you are doing one of two things 1) Seriously going to injure yourself long term in the form of joint problems/arthritis or 2) No develop a good punch because you CAN'T punch an immovable steel/concrete object full power so you will always be holding back or not penetrating.

The makiwara is designed to be flexible to allow penetration and full impact as you build up to it. If you are only intersted in getting big or calloused knuckles then punching an immovable object will probably help you. I know for me, just doing knuckle pushups on concrete has added a nice callous to my top two knuckles. Punching a makiwara never did add any callouses. Neither one has hurt my hands or caused bigger/swollen knuckles.

From talking with my instructor (started training in the 50's through now), they used to punch concrete walls etc. because they were trying to smash up the knuckle area to get big knuckles that kind of mashed into one giant lump. He really regrets doing that type of trainng now.

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
As long as trees leave me alone, I'll leave them alone. The first tree that makes a move on me, gets it!

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the long run, you don't have anything to gain by smashing your fists and feet into a hard object on a repeated basis.

Why risk nerve damage just for a short-termed "toughening" of your hands or feet? There are ways to toughen up your hands that don't cause nerve damage, etc., but smashing them into trees (or any hard object) isn't part of it.

To put it this way, is it worth not being able to hold a cup of coffee when you're in your late 30's, without your hand shaking badly and spilling your coffee everywhere? Not being able to write optimally with a hand that has the jitters? Losing fine control of your computer mouse? These are just a few of the common everyday tasks you'll have a hard time accomplishing if you damage your nerves.

Stick with punching bags, makiwara, etc. If you want to start a toughening routine, then do it right.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Unless the object has give to it for punching you are doing one of two things 1) Seriously going to injure yourself long term in the form of joint problems/arthritis or 2) No develop a good punch because you CAN'T punch an immovable steel/concrete object full power so you will always be holding back or not penetrating.

The makiwara is designed to be flexible to allow penetration and full impact as you build up to it. If you are only intersted in getting big or calloused knuckles then punching an immovable object will probably help you. I know for me, just doing knuckle pushups on concrete has added a nice callous to my top two knuckles. Punching a makiwara never did add any callouses. Neither one has hurt my hands or caused bigger/swollen knuckles.

From talking with my instructor (started training in the 50's through now), they used to punch concrete walls etc. because they were trying to smash up the knuckle area to get big knuckles that kind of mashed into one giant lump. He really regrets doing that type of trainng now.
I hold back! LOL But I think it is good to get a feel for how hard you can hit something that doesn't give. Also, don't want to damage my knuckles on someone face either. Strikes are a timing mechanism meant to create an impression, not destroy the skull. I use my elbows for deep penetration or skull smashing. LOL My hands are delicate. :)

OP
T

Tenacious_Red

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I hold back! LOL But I think it is good to get a feel for how hard you can hit something that doesn't give. Also, don't want to damage my knuckles on someone face either. Strikes are a timing mechanism meant to create an impression, not destroy the skull. I use my elbows for deep penetration or skull smashing. LOL My hands are delicate. :)

*snickers* :)