Punching Air

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I punch air all the time. Because it travels really well. It's with me, right there, all the time. Bags aren’t, or partners with mitts, shields, whatever. And sometimes, there's just nobody around to train with.

Keep in mind - when you punch air, you are punching at the exact distance and height that is one hundred percent comfortable to you, the exact height, distance and power that makes your punches feel the best through their ideal level of distance, height and technique. It is the natural place your punches come from.

Which is why you have to always change their level. You don't throw punches at a 6 ft 5 guy the way you would at a 5 ft 6 guy. When you air punch, you should mix it up, constantly.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
That air was talking smack bro. I taught it a lesson in humility.

But in all seriousness. I enjoy it sometimes, I shadow fight a lot but by no means do I think it is a substitute for sparring and bag work. I like it to test my agility.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this the last couple of days. I don't do much "punching air" these days. There are the strikes inside the forms I'm working on, of course. And some simulated strikes when teaching. But I don't shadow-box, and I don't spend much time punching from a formal stance anymore. Most of my striking either happens when I'm practicing defense (when there's usually at least light contact), or with a bag.

I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this the last couple of days. I don't do much "punching air" these days. There are the strikes inside the forms I'm working on, of course. And some simulated strikes when teaching. But I don't shadow-box, and I don't spend much time punching from a formal stance anymore. Most of my striking either happens when I'm practicing defense (when there's usually at least light contact), or with a bag.

I'm not sure if that's good or bad.
Bad. o_O

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Visualization drills are fantastic... sounds like that's what you are doing Bill.

Latest Discussions