punch

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I cannot find the discussion on the vertical punch i read recently, however, i would like to share some thoughts on the horizontal punch as it came up in hat discussion.
The horizontal punch as i learned it does not strike horizontally, rather it strikes almost in a vertical position and twists with the contact and follow through. Also, this punch is most effective when the strike isangled downwards, not parallel to the ground nor upwards. The power generation comes from the center in a wave like motion providing a more eefective utilization of mass and a marriage of gravity.

Just my thoughts...interesting to take these concepts as 'true' and then re view the techniques and forms that use such a strike...ones understranding perspective and vision may change

Respectfully,
Marlon

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
generated from the bottom up, yes, but...

if at the point of impact, you settle your weight into your target, you'll find a serious increase of force.

also, move your arm less and your body more.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
marlon said:
I cannot find the discussion on the vertical punch i read recently, however, i would like to share some thoughts on the horizontal punch as it came up in hat discussion.
The horizontal punch as i learned it does not strike horizontally, rather it strikes almost in a vertical position and twists with the contact and follow through. Also, this punch is most effective when the strike isangled downwards, not parallel to the ground nor upwards. The power generation comes from the center in a wave like motion providing a more eefective utilization of mass and a marriage of gravity.

Just my thoughts...interesting to take these concepts as 'true' and then re view the techniques and forms that use such a strike...ones understranding perspective and vision may change

Respectfully,
Marlon
The way I understand it, is that you should contact the body on a vertical but touch the spine at the horizontal apex. If you are grafting the hammer with your thrust, you would, of course, be on a dropping angle. However, there is no law against making contact verticaly and ascending to an upward block type motion-- throat shot.
Sean

OP
marlon

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No i was not speaking of a law...just what i have noticed and prefer. Waving the hara and allowing the wieght to settle into your stike does greatly increase the effect of the strike. Thank you for sharing

Respectfuly,
Marlon

Latest Discussions