Psychic Surgery...faith or farce?

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychic_surgery

And wikiwpedia's accuracy gets questioned :lol:

It's a magic trick. No more real then Kris Angel levitating people or Copperfield walking through walls.

Wikipedia's accuracy gets questioned because ANYONE can edit it. If I write something in Wikipedia are you going to believe it? In fact I have written a Wikipedia entry...

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Okay...so you are all nuts, you know that right? ;) :p

Shads, thanks for being such a great sport about the whole issue, it is truly appreciated.

Back to the topic at hand.

I think everyon has a right to believe whatever they want to. I believe there is some truth to mind over matter. Trust me, give birth without drugs and live to tell about it in a sane and rational manner and you too will believe! :)

All joking aside, I think what gets everyone's panties in a knot about it is that there are charletons out there ready willing and able to pray on the weak and scared. Ready to take their money and take them for a huge ride, offering them false hope while emptying their bank account. The important thing to remember is we are more likely to hear the bad (because it sells) then we are the good. Try it, if you feel it works for you, great. Only you can know for sure.

I love you.

*looks around cautiously*

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
All joking aside, I think what gets everyone's panties in a knot about it is that there are charletons out there ready willing and able to pray on the weak and scared. Ready to take their money and take them for a huge ride, offering them false hope while emptying their bank account..

A lot of these charletons have M.D. shingles hanging outside their offices..

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
No Drac, "Psychic Surgery" really is all of those things. It's a very specific scam. This particular fraud is most popular in the Phillipines and usually comes with heavy Catholic trappings. The patient lies down. The con artist appears to stick her (usually her) hand inside the patient and rummage around. She pulls out something nasty looking and organic and pronounces the patient cured. There is no sign of the skin being broken.

It's lies and ******** and has been exposed too many times to be amusing any longer. It has nothing to do with acupuncture, herbal medicine, spiritual healing or anything else.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
A lot of these charletons have M.D. shingles hanging outside their offices..

True, but not all, However all those who claim to do or do Psychic Surgery are charlatans

It has nothing to do with acupuncture, herbal medicine, spiritual healing or anything else.

Being the husband of a TCM doc trained in Beijing who worked in Beijing’s government hospital who now has a reputable business in the US that is growing and has a lot of happy patients, I feel it VERY necessary at this point to agree with tellner and make it PERFECTLY clear that Psychic Surgery has ABSOLUTLY NOTHING to do with acupuncture, Herbal medicine Traditional Chinese medicine in any way shape or form.

TCM works has been proven to work for a VERY long time in China and it takes a long time and a lot of training to learn.

Psychic surgery on the other hand is a farce, a dup, a complete rip off that preys on the beliefs and fears of others.

Trent

Green Belt
Reaction score
Investigating potentially fraudulent activities in preparation for criminal proceedings have been my profession for over twenty years. I have quite a bit of experience with allegations of fraud with regard to healthcare and medical treatment. That being said, I will state that physical healing in connection with spiritually related practices do work if properly done, and that those spiritual practices have nothing to do with claims of surgery through psychic means.

Why spiritual healing does work is due to a variety of reasons I don't wish to explore here, and it has nothing to do with "psychic surgery."

One thing is sure, "psychic surgery" is without exception, absolute nonsense and perpetuated by those who prey on the sick and desperate-- the least able to bring them to justice for taking their money under false pretenses and misrepresentations. I'm not aiming to offend anyone here, but I'm hoping that others don't become a victim when they least need to be one. Often, people are willing to accept patently false things because they are cloaked in a guise that's similar to something they are already familiar with and have accepted. "Psychic surgeons" use a spiritual front, or atmosphere, to confuse and add credibility to their activities. The reason I keep quoting "psychic surgery" and it's derivative is because they are neither psychic nor surgeons.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It may (or may not) come as a surprise to hear that someone with as 'academic' a background as mine does not consider 'spiritual' healing to be bunkum.

This is a broad 'church', so to speak, and I do concur with tellner that 'psychic surgery' (i.e. phantom hands reaching in and removing tissue) is fraudulent. However, those aspects of this 'New Age' approach to medicine that call upon the bodies own resources to solve a health problem are very real.

Of any group of individuals, I would expect martial artists, who almost prosaically call upon mental 'powers' to augment the physical, to be open minded about such things.

To be balanced, I have to be honest and admit that one personal reason why I'm less sceptical than average about this issue is that practically every woman I've been close friends with or been in a relationship with has had some 'contact' with either 'white witchcraft' or healing (my missus being an exception to this rule).

In England, at least, it does tend to be a 'feminine' trait. I'm not saying anything negative with regard to Shads friend here, but I can't think of one bloke I know who professes 'psychic/spiritual' healing abilities that hasn't got some counterveiling cause to claim such.

I think the female bias devolves from a long tradition of wise women/herbalists rooted in an even more ancient, Celtic, tradition of 'magic' and that men 'tapping' into this mythology (for want of a better term) are more often seeking status augmentation than anything else.

Of course, other cultures have a different bias, where it has been the male that has been the 'keeper' of the 'secrets', so all is relative :D.

Anyhow, wandering off topic (as ever as I do at this time of the morning) - time to shut up :blush:.

Callandor

Green Belt
Reaction score
Something may be considered mysterious and mystical today until science and medicine can catch up tomorrow. People tend to be afraid of something they don't understand or to dismiss them. Lightning was treated in the same manner aeons ago. Fake practitioners who prey on gullible people are not helping either. However, it does not mean that if faith healing is for real then all faith healers are not fake. They still have to be affiliated with the WTF and spar with my master! :D

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Something may be considered mysterious and mystical today until science and medicine can catch up tomorrow. People tend to be afraid of something they don't understand or to dismiss them. Lightning was treated in the same manner aeons ago. Fake practitioners who prey on gullible people are not helping either. However, it does not mean that if faith healing is for real then all faith healers are not fake. They still have to be affiliated with the WTF and spar with my master! :D

Sorry Callandor, I'm ITF and we call it "Energy Healing" not "Faith Healing" That's strictly Olympic domain ;) I do spar with my Subum, but I'm not sparring with yours. :p

Callandor

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sorry Callandor, I'm ITF and we call it "Energy Healing" not "Faith Healing" That's strictly Olympic domain ;)

:lfao:
Ok, I'll keep the difference of terminology in mind when somebody posts another what-is-the-difference-between-itf-and-wtf thread. :lol:

Latest Discussions