Professional Martial Artists

K

Kirk

So to become a "professional" Martial Artist, you need to basically
get paid for martial arts related stuff, correct? Owning a school
is one way, hosting tournaments could be another way, maybe
supply manufacturing or selling. Any others? How can one make
money being involved in their art as their job? Any ideas?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Trainer for actors. Possibly a growing one, with movies such as the Martix, LOTRs, Star Wars, etc. having much more intricate fight scenes.

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Many martial arts become security consultants or even bodyguards.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would say a professional martial artist would be anyone who utilizes his/her training to make a living, without assistance from another source of income (like a real job :D).

Most of the positions already mentioned probably qualify: security consultant/bodyguard, MA trainer, stuntperson, instructor (of course), and the like.

I don't know about martial arts promoters/retailers qualifying as 'professional martial artists', as they are really using other skills for those positions. The positions are most certainly martial arts related, but don't quite fall into the same category as the previously mentioned occupations.

Cthulhu

OP
J

John_Boy

Many martial artists I know also work as personal fitness trainers. Not necessarily with their art, but more with diet and other exercise.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Professional trainers may use some of the knowledge gained from their martial arts training, but by and large, they aren't really using any of their skills. So, to me, they are not professional martial artists. It's still a valid occupation, I'm not knocking that.

Cthulhu

OP
F

fist of fury

Ok I have a question for the instructors on this board. Do any or all of you still have to work a 9-5 job in order to keep your school open? If you don't did you have to in the beginning? If so how long did you have to work at both until you were able to work at your school full time?
I'm curious since I would like to pursue that opportunity in the future, I'm nowhere near being a qualified instructor now.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Another good question, raised from the dust. :)

"So to become a "professional" Martial Artist, you need to basically
get paid for martial arts related stuff, correct? Owning a school
is one way, hosting tournaments could be another way, maybe
supply manufacturing or selling. Any others? How can one make
money being involved in their art as their job? Any ideas?"

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm biased, but have to say yes.
Course.....I run 12 of em. LOL!

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
So to become a "professional" Martial Artist, you need to basically
get paid for martial arts related stuff, correct?

"Owning a school is one way" - - Professional Business-person/School Owner. Not necessarily a "Professional Martial Artist."

"hosting tournaments could be another way" - - Professional tournament host/promoter

"maybe supply manufacturing or selling." - - Professional retail

"security consultant" - - Professional Security Consultant with a Martial Art background

"stuntman" - - Professional Stuntman who also knows some Martial Art.

None of the above are "Professional Martial Artists." They are other Professions where the individual might utilize Martial Art skills to better perform the job, but each could also be done without the Martial Art.

Any of the above mentioned jobs might also be enhanced if the person is a skilled wrestler, but that does not make them a "Professional Wrestler," thank God!

There are many options (some already mentioned), but these are professions other than the Martial Art, which involve or utilize your Martial Art skills as a tool within that profession. Just like being good with computers might be a plus in many professions, but that does not make you a professional computer technician unless you are specifically employed as such.

In my opinion, the only "Professional Martial Artist" is one who either solely teaches the Martial Art for pay (self employed or hired; Full time or part-time), or performs and demonstrates their Martial Art skills for pay. An actor who demonstrates Martial Art skills in fight scenes is a "Professional Actor" with Martial Art knowledge as a talent on their resume'.

How can one make money being involved in their art as their job? Any ideas?

There are many options (some already mentioned). Here are some that come to my mind of how to use Martial Art skills in your chosen profession:

Security guard
Security guard trainer
Firearms instructor
Bodyguard / Executive Protection
Private Detective
Law Enforcement
Probation Officer
Child Protective Services
Jail or Prison Guard
Military
Movie Film Industry: Actor; stuntman; stunt coordinator; fight scene coordinator
Bounty Hunter
Automobile Repo
Jerry Springer Show
etc., etc.

I am sure there are a few more!
CM D.J. Eisenhart

Latest Discussions