Probably the best Taekwondo video I've personally found on youtube.

Kenlee25

Green Belt
Reaction score

Found this a while back and found it interesting. I've never seen any karate or Taekwondo dojo train like these guys. I'd definitely love to get a chance to train with him. This is only one of the videos, and I suggest some of you check out his channel and look at some of the other videos he has uploaded, but It's definitely a different type of Taekwondo class than I've often seen. He's even got videos fully devoted to take down defense, jab training, and the "1 inch kick"

from what I can tell, he is staying very true to form of the actual art itself as it would be used on the street when it was created, rather than the more sporty styles of most taekwondo and karate dojos. However, I could be very very wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Im inclined to think that its on the right track, yeah. With the single exception of the abundant Hook Kicks, I liked what I saw.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Fun looking class. The kid at the end with the long hair found out about TKD cardio in that lesson. I have always said that no other art has the cardio of a TKD person. We sometimes go five 5 minute rounds. Even longer a few weeks before a tourney. Good find. I enjoyed the watch.

Also (just the coach in me :-D) Master Kwon is left handed. He always has left foot back. He counters to the back of a right handed person mostly.

Last edited:

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Fun looking class. The kid at the end with the long hair found out about TKD cardio in that lesson. I have always said that no other art has the cardio of a TKD person. We sometimes go five 5 minute rounds. Even longer a few weeks before a tourney. Good find. I enjoyed the watch.

Also (just the coach in me :-D) Master Kwon is left handed. He always has left foot back. He counters to the back of a right handed person mostly.
That, or Hes Right Handed, and employs a Left Handed Stance so that He can Counter to the back of a Right Handed person ;)

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Interesting video. Some very good stuff in it. I didn't view his other videos, but I did like a lot of what I saw in that one.

from what I can tell, he is staying very true to form of the actual art itself as it would be used on the street when it was created, rather than the more sporty styles of most taekwondo and karate dojos. However, I could be very very wrong.

This statement, I am unsure about. As I said before, I didn't view the rest of his youtube channel so I don't know how indicative this video was of all of his stuff. I am unaware, however, of ground work being a part of Taekwon-Do so I don't think I'd say he was "staying very true to form of the actual art itself as it would be used on the street when it was created." In fact, MMA and BBJ do lots and lots of ground work and are definitely "sporty styles."

Good stuff, though.

Pax,

Chris

OP
Kenlee25

Kenlee25

Green Belt
Reaction score
Interesting video. Some very good stuff in it. I didn't view his other videos, but I did like a lot of what I saw in that one.

This statement, I am unsure about. As I said before, I didn't view the rest of his youtube channel so I don't know how indicative this video was of all of his stuff. I am unaware, however, of ground work being a part of Taekwon-Do so I don't think I'd say he was "staying very true to form of the actual art itself as it would be used on the street when it was created." In fact, MMA and BBJ do lots and lots of ground work and are definitely "sporty styles."

Good stuff, though.

Pax,

Chris

Well, taekwondo as it is now does not have much ground work. But just like everything else, arts must evolve. You can stay true to yourself for example yet still add on some more desirable character traits. Same with the arts I say.

It does have sweeps though. And with sweeps comes some kid of ground work.

OP
Kenlee25

Kenlee25

Green Belt
Reaction score
That, or Hes Right Handed, and employs a Left Handed Stance so that He can Counter to the back of a Right Handed person ;)

Also, yes I agree more with this. Generally, since most people are right handed, they stand the traditional way. However teaching a right handed person to fight southpaw can be to their major advantage as it gives you a better opening while still maintaining power ( the difference being now your jabbing hand has a lot more power, thus it can be used for heavy damage, and your left hand now has the extra torque and momentum needed to make it powerful ), and allows you to more easily do faster step in front leg kicks ( any kick ) and still maintain the power that your left leg could not generate without the added torque that it now has.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, taekwondo as it is now does not have much ground work. But just like everything else, arts must evolve. You can stay true to yourself for example yet still add on some more desirable character traits. Same with the arts I say.

Well, whether an art must evolve is debateable. Certainly they do tend to, however. But what I was referring to was your statement that "from what I can tell, he is staying very true to form of the actual art itself as it would be used on the street when it was created..." It's not being "true to form ... when it was created" to add things later, IMO. YMMV, of course.

It does have sweeps though. And with sweeps comes some kid of ground work.

Oh, there's more than sweeps in Taekwon-Do. Sweeps, throws, foot tackling, joint locks, seated techniques, prone techniques, etc. But my point was rhar grappling while on the ground wasn't included in its syllabus when it was created. Maybe it will be added at some point but I'd say that if so (or in the case of the video you posted, when it is) that's not being "true to form" so much as changing things. Which isn't bad, just different.

Pax,

Chris

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score

What "actual art" are you referring to? And I can't say that was the best "taekwondo" video I've personally found on youtube. But then again, I generally not the one who finds videos on youtube; people post or send me links and then I might click on the link.

OP
Kenlee25

Kenlee25

Green Belt
Reaction score
What "actual art" are you referring to? And I can't say that was the best "taekwondo" video I've personally found on youtube. But then again, I generally not the one who finds videos on youtube; people post or send me links and then I might click on the link.

Chrispillar already set me straight with that comment.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u

Found this a while back and found it interesting. I've never seen any karate or Taekwondo dojo train like these guys. I'd definitely love to get a chance to train with him. This is only one of the videos, and I suggest some of you check out his channel and look at some of the other videos he has uploaded, but It's definitely a different type of Taekwondo class than I've often seen. He's even got videos fully devoted to take down defense, jab training, and the "1 inch kick"

I see nothing new, nothing different. Most of his movements are right out of what you might call sport style Taekwondo. The boxing gloves the guy is wearing is right out of sport style boxing. The chest guard, shin guards, and forearm guards in the background are those used in what you call sport Taekwondo. Not the best example of Taekwondo, but not a bad one.

Last edited by a moderator:

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I see nothing new, nothing different. Most of his movements are right out of what you might call sport style Taekwondo. The boxing gloves the guy is wearing is right out of sport style boxing. The chest guard, shin guards, and forearm guards in the background are those used in what you call sport Taekwondo. Not the best example of Taekwondo, but not a bad one.

I like the way the teacher moves for the most part. He could have a little more hip or body involvement on his kicks instead of relying too heavily on knee snap only. Looks like the teacher could be good at poomsae if he was so inclined, with his low center of gravity.

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u
I like the way the teacher moves for the most part. He could have a little more hip or body involvement on his kicks instead of relying too heavily on knee snap only. Looks like the teacher could be good at poomsae if he was so inclined, with his low center of gravity.

right, but then again, he is really just kicking air, so to me he is more or less gesturing with his kick and hands.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The more I look at the video it looks to me that the TKD Master has adapted his style to be affective against specific styles shorter quicker kicks to counter sweeps and throws. He looks like he has spared with allot of boxer or MT fighters. I really like what he does.

Some people commented on excessive hook kicking. He does that because he can!!!!

His technique is not text book TKD....but TKD with a twist...a very adaptable method...probably very personal to him...not everyone can fight that way...I think that the sport oriented fighter would find his methods very attractive for use outside of sport TKD.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I personally distaste it (His Hook Kicking) for one reason: It curves the body away from the opponent. And using it THAT regularly probably isnt a good idea. But, if He either A: Used Outward Crescent Kicks, or B: Altered the way the Hook Kick is done slightly, Id be totally cool with it.

The more I look at the video it looks to me that the TKD Master has adapted his style to be affective against specific styles shorter quicker kicks to counter sweeps and throws. He looks like he has spared with allot of boxer or MT fighters. I really like what he does.

Some people commented on excessive hook kicking. He does that because he can!!!!

His technique is not text book TKD....but TKD with a twist...a very adaptable method...probably very personal to him...not everyone can fight that way...I think that the sport oriented fighter would find his methods very attractive for use outside of sport TKD.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
From the skill level shown in the video. I think that he would be able to alter his hook kick to the situation. He looks to me to have a great understanding of how to adjust to what is needed to be the most affective.

RobinTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I like his movement, how he was able to smother the guys attack with his own. I'd like to see him fight full contact.

Latest Discussions