Pro Taekwondo

ProTaekwondo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of a man named Huang-Ho Han, I think he used to be a Kickboxing champ (I don't know anything other than that) and is a 5th dan in TKD. He is extremely friendly and seems very knowledgeable. He teaches a style of Taekwondo that he calls Pro-Taekwondo and it seems like Taekwondo and Kickboxing fused. He is my instructor and I respect him immensely just I just can't find anything about him so any help would be great.

This is the bio on the site for where he used to teach (a student of his bought out one of the studios for him after he left because he did not like how DS Kim's was turning more to the sport side) but it doesn't really say much http://www.dskims.com/han.html

Tryak

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Never heard of him personally. If he is your instructor you should be able to ask in for info right?

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of a man named Huang-Ho Han, I think he used to be a Kickboxing champ (I don't know anything other than that) and is a 5th dan in TKD. He is extremely friendly and seems very knowledgeable. He teaches a style of Taekwondo that he calls Pro-Taekwondo and it seems like Taekwondo and Kickboxing fused. He is my instructor and I respect him immensely just I just can't find anything about him so any help would be great.
Finding internet info on an instructor is of little significance compared with being his or her student. My grandmaster is a former body guard to the president of South Korea. Whether the current president or a former president, I don't know. But that isn't why I train in taekwondo or teach kumdo at his school; I have seen first hand the caliber of man that he is and have no need for internet verification.

What would interest me is what elements of kickboxing have been mixed with taekwondo. I've never done competative kickboxing, but I would venture that taekwondo already has the kicks that you'd use in kickboxing, plus a whole lot more. Not jab at kickboxing, mind you; just that taekwondo has such a plethora of kicks and generally sport fights are won more on basics and good footwork.

Is it the sparring rules that have been mixed in or techniques? I am genuinely curious, not trying to pick it apart.:)

Daniel

estranged13

White Belt
Reaction score
ummm ya he seems okay if your really worried check his kukkiwon number but if i lived in the area I'd check him out

but like previously said, all the skill in the world doesn't make a good instructor. are you happy with the classes?

OP
P

ProTaekwondo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Finding internet info on an instructor is of little significance compared with being his or her student. My grandmaster is a former body guard to the president of South Korea. Whether the current president or a former president, I don't know. But that isn't why I train in taekwondo or teach kumdo at his school; I have seen first hand the caliber of man that he is and have no need for internet verification.

What would interest me is what elements of kickboxing have been mixed with taekwondo. I've never done competative kickboxing, but I would venture that taekwondo already has the kicks that you'd use in kickboxing, plus a whole lot more. Not jab at kickboxing, mind you; just that taekwondo has such a plethora of kicks and generally sport fights are won more on basics and good footwork.

Is it the sparring rules that have been mixed in or techniques? I am genuinely curious, not trying to pick it apart.:)

Daniel

Our sparring uses a lot more handwork than most of the other styles I see. We use a fighting stance similar to boxing/kickboxing except the main hand is kept slightly lower and the other hand is at face level and extended farther (this can be seen on the link I gave) focus on kicks but if someone gets too close for an effective kick we start up with handwork. In training we also use elbows and knees as well as low kicks so it almost looks like Muay Thai. I appreciate the interest and responses. He is an excellent teacher and I hold very high regards for him so I guess that's all that matters.

OP
P

ProTaekwondo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thats not a Kukkiwon Certificate. That does not mean he is not good either.

You're right it says "World Pro Taekwondo Federation" but I am pretty sure I have seen his Kukkiwon certificate in class. I actually am not asking because I doubt him, but just to see really if anyone knew him or his style of TKD :wink:

kyuksuldo

White Belt
Reaction score
This is the world protaekwondo association. A different organization from your world protaekwondo federation.

http://www.prowta.org/

I only hear this from hearsay but the protaekwondo fighters fight under kickboxing rules rather then olympic sports rules. You won't find any sparring videos there, though.

OP
P

ProTaekwondo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
This is the world protaekwondo association. A different organization from your world protaekwondo federation.

http://www.prowta.org/

I only hear this from hearsay but the protaekwondo fighters fight under kickboxing rules rather then olympic sports rules. You won't find any sparring videos there, though.

That rule part definitely sounds like something he would partake in, thank you for the excellent find! Now just to find a way to translate it haha

Latest Discussions