Prisoners on run cannot be named 'due to privacy rights'

OP
Deaf Smith

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
And this concerns non Brits how?

I'm sure there's pretty stupid things going on all over the world which would be far less boring to read than things that go on in England.
Isn't there a phrase "people in glass houses......."

Now Tez3, don't we here post alot of stupid things our government does in the U.S.A.? So why not post some that happen in the UK? Or Australia, or other countries? Especially when alot of them want the U.N. or some other governing body to bring some kind if world government, and thus their idea of what basic rights are.

We all comment...that's why the section is up here. However, Tez and the other good folks from outside the US generally don't make a habit of posting up stories that show American culture in a light that is not the best.

Well maybe they should Carol. If anything, I'd nod my head in agreement!

And note this thread... It sure does not show America in a good light.

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78231

Deaf

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now Tez3, don't we here post alot of stupid things our government does in the U.S.A.? So why not post some that happen in the UK? Or Australia, or other countries? Especially when alot of them want the U.N. or some other governing body to bring some kind if world government, and thus their idea of what basic rights are.

Well maybe they should Carol. If anything, I'd nod my head in agreement!

And note this thread... It sure does not show America in a good light.

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78231

Deaf

haven't I pointed out several times the whole stupidity of our members of parliament ( all parties) and their expenses scams? If you notice I'd didn't say that this thread didn't point out something stupid, I actually agreed but couldn't shed any light on it because it's civl law and I don't know a huge lot about it, my point was why always post things that are stupid or appear to be stupid here.
It's one thing to point out your own countries follies but when I posted how things seem to us non Americans ( not necessarily how they are but how they appear) I got abuse from one poster and told not to come on MT again. Though I'm still pondering on how that poster thinks we are all self buggerers! Unless that means something different in America which I doubt I think it's very unlikely but it's not nice being called that.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
my point was why always post things that are stupid or appear to be stupid here.

Not trying to be facetious here, but...if it isn't something like this then it doesn't usually make for very interesting discussions, and this is a discussion forum. Posting "Armed Robbery is Illegal in the U.K." will get a lot of two word "That's good." follow-ups...not very stimulating debate.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not trying to be facetious here, but...if it isn't something like this then it doesn't usually make for very interesting discussions, and this is a discussion forum. Posting "Armed Robbery is Illegal in the U.K." will get a lot of two word "That's good." follow-ups...not very stimulating debate.

The UK is made of several nations of eccentrics who value their idiosyncracies so how come the best people can come up to talk about us is in connection with crime!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chatting to a solicitor friend last night, it seems as if it's not the law thats at fault, it's the Data Protection Act, as it makes no mention of prisoners etc but it's the interpretation thats wrong so there you go.
http://www.ico.gov.uk/what_we_cover/data_protection.aspx

From the Act
Releasing information to prevent or detect crime

The Data Protection Act 1998 does not stop organisations from releasing personal information. Any organisation may be asked to release personal information because it is needed to prevent or detect a crime, or to catch and prosecute a suspect: information needed for these purposes will be exempt from parts of the Act.

OP
Deaf Smith

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
information needed for these purposes will be exempt from parts of the Act.

And there is the loop hole. Who defines what is 'exempt'.

Deaf

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Tez, 2 things. First it affects non-UK posters because you know somewhere out there there is a politician and/or lawyer and/or prisoner's rights advocate slapping their foreheads saying 'why didn't I think of that'.

and second, if we confined ourselves to posting about intelligent things politicians do, this forum would be quite empty.:ultracool

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesn't make any sense to me. I mean, we always hear about the police asking the public for help, if they saw anything, if they know anything, etc. to call and give a tip, which may lead to solving the crime. So in this case, we have..."X number of prisoners escaped....but we can't say who they are." So in the event, a citizen knows who one of the escapees is, they will never be able to say anything, because its a 'secret.' *shrug*

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And there is the loop hole. Who defines what is 'exempt'.

Deaf

The courts will decide. As I've said before, it will be done on precedent.
The chances are that the case in the OP will go to court now and it will be decided whether or not it's legal to name prisoners or not. If I had the inclination I could take it to court, it would be heard in the civil courts so basically anyone can challenge this if they want.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm still confused on what the big secret is about telling the names? I mean, if they're already in jail, chances are pretty good that they're guilty of something, so why not make names public? I could see if a case is still being investigated, but once its over.....

Latest Discussions