Preferred choice of hand protection for heavy bag work outs for small kids

spawn2031

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys, about to purchase a wavemaster for the family to punch and kick on and I want to get my kids some hand protection so they dont tear themselves up on it right away and not want to use it anymore. They are 4 (girl) and 5 (boy) so they have pretty small hands. Does anyone have any suggestions? I personally prefer just hand wraps but I dont think that would work out too well for them.

Thanks!

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey guys, about to purchase a wavemaster for the family to punch and kick on and I want to get my kids some hand protection so they dont tear themselves up on it right away and not want to use it anymore. They are 4 (girl) and 5 (boy) so they have pretty small hands. Does anyone have any suggestions? I personally prefer just hand wraps but I dont think that would work out too well for them.

Thanks!
just tell them to put a pair of winter gloves on ? or shell out for some mma gloves, if the size is available

OP
spawn2031

spawn2031

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I thought of that too, just some of those cotton gloves, cut the fingers off and they have something cool. Might be the way to go. Since they are youngins, they are motivated by getting to "play" with cool lookin stuff so I dont mind shellin out a little more if it makes them want to use it.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
nb possibly not a heavy bag, by adults standards, that will be like punching concrete for them

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I bought a pair of small women’s MMA type gloves for my daughters. They’re lycra and have some padding on the knuckles. Pink and Century brand, I believe. I bought them at Dick’s Sporting Goods. They’re a little big on them, but they cover them up pretty well. My daughters are 6 and 8 for reference. They use them on my BOB XL. No complaints.

Edit: they’re more of a cardio kickboxing glove than actual MMA glove.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No gloves have them hit a softer target. I trained a 4 or 5 year old this way. She was fine. Kids tend to not punch things harder that they should. They know when to ease up and are willing to do so. Teens and adults not so much. I would check to see if they made a wave master specifically for kids.

I also used a punching pad stuffed with plastic bags.

OP
spawn2031

spawn2031

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
No gloves have them hit a softer target. I trained a 4 or 5 year old this way. She was fine. Kids tend to not punch things harder that they should. They know when to ease up and are willing to do so. Teens and adults not so much. I would check to see if they made a wave master specifically for kids.

I also used a punching pad stuffed with plastic bags.

Yup, they do make a kids version, though it seems the base is just a little lower and easier for shorter folk to hit the bag. The actual bag material seemed to be the same though. Either way, that's the one I got for them.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yup, they do make a kids version, though it seems the base is just a little lower and easier for shorter folk to hit the bag. The actual bag material seemed to be the same though. Either way, that's the one I got for them.
I had the kids version as a kid, and loved it. Never used gloves though, and my hands were fine. Knowing myself, i probably would have used it less if i had to put gloves on each time i tried. I think it's a combination of:
1. kids aren't as focused, so it's not like they'll keep going for an hour on the bag.
2. Like jowga said, kids know how to limit their power, better than some adults.
3. For kids, it's entirely enjoyment. If they're hurting their hands, they'll either hit it softer if they realize that's why it's hurting, or just stop until their hand stops hurting. They're not going to actively do something that's hurting themselves to do it.

OP
spawn2031

spawn2031

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I had the kids version as a kid, and loved it. Never used gloves though, and my hands were fine. Knowing myself, i probably would have used it less if i had to put gloves on each time i tried. I think it's a combination of:
1. kids aren't as focused, so it's not like they'll keep going for an hour on the bag.
2. Like jowga said, kids know how to limit their power, better than some adults.
3. For kids, it's entirely enjoyment. If they're hurting their hands, they'll either hit it softer if they realize that's why it's hurting, or just stop until their hand stops hurting. They're not going to actively do something that's hurting themselves to do it.

That's some good points... maybe I'm just trying to be too much of a parent and keep them from hurting themselves which might in turn make them shy away from using it. My 5 year old is a glove fanatic though, for him.. the gloves will only make him want to do it more! lol

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Punch the bag a few times a day to help soften it up. Your worst case scenario would be to wrap a thin layer of foam around it.

Or maybe a kids workout glove. I think they call it a hybrid wooing glove. I just Google kiss workout glove to see move options. Then they can have some cool gloves.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's some good points... maybe I'm just trying to be too much of a parent and keep them from hurting themselves which might in turn make them shy away from using it. My 5 year old is a glove fanatic though, for him.. the gloves will only make him want to do it more! lol
Getting hurt is a part of child development. It helps kids to understand their physical, mental, and emotional limits. Some kids cry when the trip, others may cry only if the adult looks concerned. Asa toddler my son was like that so we he fell I would give a quick scan to see if he was ok and smile and kind of joke about the fall. After a while he would just pop back up like there was nothing wrong.

When he got hit in the stomach the first time and lost his first breath. I looked at him and smiled said "yeah that stuff hurts doesn't it" then reassured him he would be fine and helped him regain his breath.

I think kids only become worried when they see worry in an adults face. Let them play alone and they will fall and get bruised and handle the pain without fear. They will also be better of by knowing their limitations. As a parent it doesn't get any easier. I did a little sparring with my nephew and I saw the worry on my brothers face as if I was going to beat up his son. lol. I think my nephew was 16 at that time.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you think it'll encourage him to use it, then go for it, that's probably the best reason I could think of. He doesn't need it for safety though.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
With kids, the gloves are more for not scraping their hands than actual padding. When my kids hit my BOB, focus mitts and kicking shield, they complained about the scraping and not the firmness of the bags. Their hands got red. Bought the gloves and problem solved.

OP
spawn2031

spawn2031

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I guess it'll just depend on the kids. I'll have them try it both ways and let them decide, I ended up getting the gloves I linked below. Not too expensive but great reviews and ... bonus.. in their favorite colors! lol.

MMA Gloves - Pro MMA Gloves - Combat Sports

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Love seeing everyone helping each other on this subject.

Latest Discussions