Pre-emptive force vs a relaxed state

cwk

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Taijutsu translates to body art or body skill. It's basically based around a few basic joint locks trained in an unrealistic fashion for the most part. I trained in it as a young kid for a short while, good fun when your that age, learning all the break falls and rolls and getting to wear a black ninja gi. I grew out of it very quickly though.

tenzen

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Not all taijutsu is like you said. Taijutsu is a very effective and intriicate martial art. Now with that said I will say that what you experienced was probably from the bujinkan and in that case it has been extremely watered down and is close to ineffective. I would also like to add that it is a a blanket term it does not refer to one art system or style. Saying taijutsu is like saying martial art. Wing chun is taijutsu. That is just how the japanese classify it, the art of using the body. Yoga is taijutsu. There are systems that are called taijutsu directly but not all of them are trained unrealistic and ineffective, but with the bujinkan arts and its relatives yes they are trained very unrealistically but its for preserving the original movements of the systems involved not for making a modern day fighter. Its an antique so to speak, a history lesson.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There are no shortcuts.

However ... people have been led to believe there are shortcuts because of the successes derived from beginner's luck, where an un-self-conscious practitioner stumbles on the correct method the first time. The trouble is, it's difficult to replicate that mindset in the short term, especially under stress, and when one becomes self-conscious. However, with practice and time, I think it can be replicated, but from a position of wisdom and seasoning. And you'd have technique as well, given enough time, guidance and proper practice.

As for chi, I believe that the Chinese reflected on whatever stuff seems to keep us alive, and they gave it a name. I also believe that it makes sense to describe it in terms of quality and quantity, as we've all felt high-energy, low-energy, but also calm or nervous. But anyone that says that you can use all chi and no technique is selling something. In fact, the combination is important: I think that if you have a lot of energy (and stamina) but are calm, and if you have technique, you'll prevail.

Oh, one more thing: I don't think that just doing forms lead to results. Intention, internal sensitivity and adherence to principles inform the forms, as it were. Without those, the forms are empty, and just choreography.

Although Wing Chun doesn't seem to suffer from flowery fists or embroidery kicks. :D