Practicing single handed combinations

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Do you purposely train single handed combos while holding the attacking weapon holders wrist with your other hand? Or even being inches from a heavy big. I think there is a great benefit to this practice, even for those that are not in weapon based MAs. What say you?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I practice it. I teach it. It doesn't matter if your weapon is a stick, a blade, your fist, or a sharply worded insult, controlling the other parties defensive tools is a useful skill.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Yes absolutely. As a shorter guy half of my game is closing in to control you weapon hand and then hitting you while I have control.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do you purposely train single handed combos while holding the attacking weapon holders wrist with your other hand?
Weapon has

- short weapon and long weapon.
- cold weapon and hot weapon.

If your right hand is holding a

- spear (long weapon),
- RPG (hot weapon),

it makes little sense for your left hand to punch.

spear_1.jpg

RPG.jpg

Last edited:
OP
H

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Weapon has

- short weapon and long weapon.
- cold weapon and hot weapon.

If your right hand is holding a

- spear (long weapon),
- RPG (hot weapon),

it makes little sense for your left hand to punch.

View attachment 30118

View attachment 30119
Think you forgot chain saws. Suppose I should have mention common non-firing street weapons ie knives, sticks, flame throwers, etc.

Fungus

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Do you purposely train single handed combos while holding the attacking weapon holders wrist with your other hand? Or even being inches from a heavy big. I think there is a great benefit to this practice, even for those that are not in weapon based MAs. What say you?
We sometimes do this as exercise, ie. during fighting you are instructed to not be allowed to used your left, or right hand (sometimes we do the same with the legs)

I love those excercises and I tend to for some reason do better in the outcome of the fight than with two hands for some reason.

I think its because
- i find single armed combos tend to be faster and less telegraphing as they involve less torso movements. Only disadvantage is that they generate less power, so not as useful for my style, as we focus on body shots. But for strikes to head or neck, its way faster.
- easier for the my beginners brain to control one limb well, than two limbs. And its easier to rely on reflexes.

screamingskull

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Controlling the tool is not enough. As illustrated by Renaissance master Vicenzo de Rossi's famous sculpture, Hercules and Diomedes:

H20259-L167609403.jpg

Did I say "Renaissance"? Clearly he was going for Baroque!
this is Gold ...hahaha

Latest Discussions