Practice exits as well as entries

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The (first) RNC was at school. And I was asked to explain my behavior after. The explanation would be harder if I had put him unconscious. And I don't know reanimation.
The second RNC was on the street, late in the night. I was asked to stop by friends of mine. And the guy came back to fight again. (Just managed the distance until the taxi.)
The issue with that solutions (choke and snap) may be legal ones... (And in may case, I need a great motivation, or no alternative, to go so far.)
In the first situation, I assume while you are at school, holding them still would be better than 'escaping' until the public safety comes. For the second, depending on how dangerous, I would still have choked the guy...choking doesn't mean killing.
For many of the situations where you aren't willing to choke, snap, or let go, you should be doing something else rather than putting them in one of the holds designed to do those things.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Going back to the original post...

Training exits is specially important (and omitted) in grappling for self defence. I never found how to release a 'arm lock' or rear naked choke. So you stay there forever, or you risk to have the bad guy fighting again... (In that case I was ready to grab again or strike, but it would be ad lib. hopefully he just stopped.)
The exits are different from escapes. Your exit should be a technique that prevents the choke from being initiated and the escape is what you do when it is being applied.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The (first) RNC was at school. And I was asked to explain my behavior after. The explanation would be harder if I had put him unconscious. And I don't know reanimation.
The second RNC was on the street, late in the night. I was asked to stop by friends of mine. And the guy came back to fight again. (Just managed the distance until the taxi.)
The issue with that solutions (choke and snap) may be legal ones... (And in may case, I need a great motivation, or no alternative, to go so far.)

The classic rnc is a bugger for that and one of the few times I will make a street sport distinction.

images

Normally I will do a sleeper hold instead. Which I can just walk away from if I want.

images

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That helps. If I put training on it.
In both situations I put all the focus on the neck and very few on 'positions'... First time acted automatically. Was choosing the best approach (yes, had that time) and from nothing it was done. Second time I had the discernment to hold 'him' facing the ground, so he couldn't use arms and nails... Nothing like 'rolling'.
In self defence I don't 'work' as in sparring or sport. Is more like one shot, one kill. So I didn't search 'positions'... I chose the shortest way from what I had.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The exits are different from escapes. Your exit should be a technique that prevents the choke from being initiated and the escape is what you do when it is being applied.

I agree. An escape is something I consider as getting out of danger as my first priority, with no other requirements. An exit is a strategic and hopefully planned and well-executed move or routine designed to not just extricate but to do so in an advantageous manner.