Practical application examples from TKD forms

cbursk

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello all,
At the school where I teach we use the Chon-Ji, Tan-gun, To-san, etc forms. I have found that giving the students examples of how to extract parts of their forms and apply them gives the student a much better feeling and motivation to learn forms.

I was hoping that in this thread people might post practical application examples that they have used to convey a better understanding of the forms (or parts of the forms) to their students.

For example - we show how the first 3 moves of Won-Hyo can be used to defend against a double grab to the throat or chest.
  1. As the attacker grabs the defenders hands come together and up through the attackers arms.
  2. The double blocks cause enough seperation of the attackers arms to allow the defender to then strike to the attackers throat with the knifehand strike.
  3. The defender cups the attackers neck long enough to keep them in position for the side punch.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
We break down the forms as well. Most recently we did it to pyong ahn 2, with the beginning at the first four moves. At the picture frame block, the top hand grabbed punching arm, and the other hand does a strike to either the ribs or neck. Then we also at another "set", did a down block with one hand and did an uppercut with the other. A third "set", we did at the 2 knife hand blocks, downward push, and did a spear hand strike.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
We do the WTF, (Chong -Gi, Dan Gun, Do-San etc.) as well as the ITF (TaeGuek forms) however, it seems a general consensus that most schools break the forms up into four move pieces. It just seems easier to learn.

icon10.gif

monkey

Brown Belt
Reaction score
We do the Chun-gi forms & practicla application led us to see that most of the moves needed retooling or updateting.The evolution was to be a constent reminder that things change.Example- In the Raiseing arm block.The orig form had the arm at a bend inward twords solar plex & raise the arm till it is a 45 degree slant over the head.This let the attacing limb or wepon slide off the body to the side.Our adapotion we did is bring the arm to solar plex & keeping the fist teight to contur the body (aprox 2" away but contur )when your are ready to reach impact,The sudden snap from the wrist that was (palm in twords the body)-now palm out.This action gave more power to the block.It also provided a faster responce to act.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Are you serious that you want to break down moves in all of the TKD forms? Sir, we could do this until the cows come home. Besides that, a lot of us do different TKD forms depending upon association, affiliation, and instructors personal preferences.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
matt.m said:
We do the WTF, (Chong -Gi, Dan Gun, Do-San etc.) as well as the ITF (TaeGuek forms) however, it seems a general consensus that most schools break the forms up into four move pieces. It just seems easier to learn.

icon10.gif

Matt I'm sorry for this but WTF is Tae Gueks and ITF are Chon-ji, you just had them a little wrong Sir.
Terry

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
jfarnsworth said:
Are you serious that you want to break down moves in all of the TKD forms? Sir, we could do this until the cows come home. Besides that, a lot of us do different TKD forms depending upon association, affiliation, and instructors personal preferences.

We don't do all moves from all of our forms- just a few to get a "feel".

OP
C

cbursk

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks to all who have contributed.

jfarnsworth - how about sharing just one or two? As I said, I teach the Chon-Ji, Tan-gun, To-san, etc style forms - but that doesn't mean you need to limit yourself to those. :)

To all:
If we aren't teaching our students what the moves are in the forms, then what is their motivation to learn them? just for tradition? Or a cardio workout?

I find that my students tend to do better and work harder at their forms when they can visualize and believe in their forms. But that's just one man's opinion. :)

Thanks,
Chris

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Taeguek 1 starts off with a "left low block" in left walking stance followed by right "middle punch" in right walking stance.

Rather than a low block, perhaps the defender's right hand has been grabbed by the attacker's right hand (i.e. cross hand wrist grab). The "low block" becomes a strike to the back of the attacker's elbow since the defender's right arm, when pulled to the hip, turns the elbow so it faces up. Now the defender's punch can be a punch to the head. :)

Miles

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Miles said:
Taeguek 1 starts off with a "left low block" in left walking stance followed by right "middle punch" in right walking stance.

Rather than a low block, perhaps the defender's right hand has been grabbed by the attacker's right hand (i.e. cross hand wrist grab). The "low block" becomes a strike to the back of the attacker's elbow since the defender's right arm, when pulled to the hip, turns the elbow so it faces up. Now the defender's punch can be a punch to the head. :)

Miles

On that, I should have asked GM Park when I had the chance.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I did say the example of the form line incorrectly. Not enough oxygen going to the brain. Thank you Terry for correcting my mistake.

Latest Discussions