powdered booze for kids!

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For a certain definition of 'can't'....go look at the height of many cigarette ads these at your local minimart some time. Just 'cos Marlboro can't advertise in Boy's Life and Cosmo for Kids doesn't mean they're not marketing to the kids.

Exactly... it's subtle but it's there... sometimes it's NOT so subtle... which is why Joe Camel was removed from Camel cigarette ads because he was a tad too cutesy for adults and thus appealed to the younger minds.
But market researchers hire psychologists they look for ways to get us to BUY their products...now or later it doesn't matter... create a niche and you got income... With Marlboro try this: (also hoping not to go off topic but it is related I think because it could be done ... and probably is done with Beer ads and other alcoholic beverages)...
Kids have an instinctive need to emulate adults around them in one form or another. It's (partly not mostly) how they learn to BE adults when they get older. Thus the Marlboro man, strong, independent and masculine. Cool huh?
Same with these beer/liquor ads... which are now accessable to kids via internet... I'm wondering if parent blocks apply to certian YouTube videos?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For a certain definition of 'can't'....go look at the height of many cigarette ads these at your local minimart some time. Just 'cos Marlboro can't advertise in Boy's Life and Cosmo for Kids doesn't mean they're not marketing to the kids.

The Bud Light ads from the 1980s featuring a cute dog named Spuds McKenzie came under fire for marketing booze to kids.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Thanks Carol... helped my point... :D

Yes I'm aware of Joe Camel and Spuds, there is a reason they aren't on the air anymore. Don't you think your Marlboro Man example is a wee bit of a stretch? Is every beer ad with a big boobed scantily lady aiming at 15 year old boys? I don't doubt they are watching in rapt attention, but 15 year olds don't have the purchase power of a 21 year old.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yes I'm aware of Joe Camel and Spuds, there is a reason they aren't on the air anymore. Don't you think your Marlboro Man example is a wee bit of a stretch? Is every beer ad with a big boobed scantily lady aiming at 15 year old boys? I don't doubt they are watching in rapt attention, but 15 year olds don't have the purchase power of a 21 year old.

Quite true... but they WILL in about six or seven years... eh? That's the beauty of it... create a future market... look at McDonalds okay... Why did they really create "Happy Meals" and later added "play-lands" to their restaurants? So to build a good memory down in the subconscious to take them to a place where they'll remember feeling good when they're feeling down later as adults... i.e. a bad morning at work... ehh go to McDonalds for lunch.
Now maybe THAT is a bit of a stretch but I don't think so. Ok, take the "big boobed bikini beer babes (that's 5 b's in a row dude! :lol: )... subconsciously beer equals "babes" or the meeting and possibly getting "babes" (ladies forgive the *ahem* seemingly sexist wording here but am trying to emulate the mind of a 15 year old... OK, OK and the mind of every red-blooded American (and European) male... :rolleyes: ), now where was I? oh yeah, babes... or more precisely beer and babes...
The point of it all is marketing appeals to the subconscious not the conscious mind. We're not thinking of those commercials and ads when we're shopping for something to drink or eat or whatever but they're there: subconsciously... and they'll stay there until we're convinced otherwise to buy brand X instead of brand Y. Now also true that personal budgets and a bunch of other factors play an integral part in our shopping habits, but if we had the money...

While this was an (IRONIC) college experiment/assignment, that the guy did mention it was to appeal to a younger set of drinkers. Chances are he'll get a good job at any alcoholic beverage manufacturer.

Whole point (*ahem* of mine) is that the guy who invented the stuff made a casual joke without (probably) realizing the irony behind it and that the method of getting people to buy products is based on appeal and get 'em while they're young. It's not a conspiracy it's fact.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I find the entire idea of marketing drugs of any type - cigarettes, alcohol, harder drugs, etc. - to kids to be wrong. Marketing alcoholic kool-aid - which is what this stuff sounds like - is heinous.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Now this is something that might actually be useful... I wonder how that brisket will taste over the BBQ when prepared that way....

- Ceicei

especially a Jack Daniels rub. Oh wait they already have that.

I still think the bakcpackers will be the best customers. When you are counting every ounce of weight in your pack, liquor/beer is extremely heavy. Remove the water and glass, and now you are in business :D

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, we know that Coors won't be selling powdered beer anytime soon. After you take the water out, there's nothing left!
icon10.gif

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
Powdered alcohol. The possibilties are endless...
Blow it in your enemy's eyes like a ninja.

:lfao:

The Bud Light ads from the 1980s featuring a cute dog named Spuds McKenzie came under fire for marketing booze to kids.

Back then, when I was in grade school, I had a pair of kid's shoes whith Spuds himself on them and when you walked in the mud it left a Bud Light print. Looking back on that, I have no idea why my mom bought them for me...

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes that is (hopefully) true, but it's the marketing scheme they're promoting... just like selling cigarettes to youths, or promoting promiscuous sex with the sale of condoms to youths.
It's called, (at least in my opinion) irresponsible marketing.
How should we market condom use to children? I envision a commercial showing a group of kids dying from Aids and a small voice saying "Rough Rider Condoms would have prevented this!"
Sean

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I really miss Candy cigarrets. I was a cool junkie; then, THE MAN took them all away.
Sean

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
How should we market condom use to children? I envision a commercial showing a group of kids dying from Aids and a small voice saying "Rough Rider Condoms would have prevented this!"
Sean

Nah, you need a jolly mascot, like Mr. Reservoir Tip or something.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I really miss Candy cigarrets. I was a cool junkie; then, THE MAN took them all away.
Sean

Those tend to be a gateway drug. One day I was on the playground with my candy cigs, and pretty soon I had my shredded bubblegum. Next thing you know, here I am with a Coke habit trying to score a bag of Skittles.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Those tend to be a gateway drug. One day I was on the playground with my candy cigs, and pretty soon I had my shredded bubblegum. Next thing you know, here I am with a Coke habit trying to score a bag of Skittles.
Admitting that you have a problem is the first step to getting help.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
how is american beer like having sex in a canoe?

its f'ing close to water.