Portland USAT Qualifier

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Wade,

Can't you do anything about the weather up your way? ;)

Looks like I will have to rent a car now, if we want to stay dry getting between our hotel and the arena. I was hoping to avoid that expense.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wade,

Can't you do anything about the weather up your way? ;)

Looks like I will have to rent a car now, if we want to stay dry getting between our hotel and the arena. I was hoping to avoid that expense.

Hoping for dry during transitional seasons in the PNW is like hoping for rain in Arizona in the middle of July... actually, that's not quite true. Sequim, on the Olympic peninsula, is so deep in the rain shadow of the Olympics that sagebrush grows there; it's true semidesert—around a foot of rain a year and some change, less in some years. Drive another few dozen miles or so out to Cape Flattery, though, and it's a 100 inches a year average. And that's pretty typical... so bring your umbrella, oilskins and hipwaders!

OP
M

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
We arrive tomorrow afternoon and leave Sunday night. Staying at Courtyard By Marriott Portland Downtown-Lloyd Center which from the maps looks like about a 10 minute walk to the venue, but who wants to walk in the rain especailly carrying all the gear etc. I suppose a cab would probably cost about 10 bucks each way as well.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If I were going to be in town, I'd offer an alternative, but ... alas ... I'm not. Good luck.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
That's a very nice hotel, stayed there many times. There is a free shuttle between the hotel and the venue, Check at the front desk about it. Have a safe trip.

OP
M

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Wade. Nice to know I got a nice hotel. I already went ahead and booked a rental car. Might still take advantage of the free shuttle though.

Take care and we will see you there.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well? How did you do? I waited and waited, you never called, you never wrote and you never came by. BTW, wasn't this great weather?

My player, Ashley Jobin, did win, womens HWgt BB with a face kick, I think she broke her opponents nose. There was an awful lot of blood. Anyway, final score was 9/4. After the 8 count the medics couldn't get the bleeding to stop and my player was awarded the win. It's too bad, as much as I want my players to do well hurting the other player was not the object of the game, winning was. It was just unfortunate that it ended the way it did.

OP
M

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You know, the weather was amazing. Thanks for taking care of the rain. LOL!!!

I was definately looking for a person that looks like your picture above your name here on the board. I didn't see anyone that I could positivly ID as you though.

Congrats to your player. Yeah it is not as much fun when you actually hurt or opponent, or get hurt.

As for my kid, well she took 3rd in both her Jr and Sr divisions so we are qualified for San Jose. Not quite the way we wanted to qualify but I was mostly happy with what I saw.

In her only Jr fight she went against a girl that she has faced probably 5 or 6 times over the past couple years and the scores have always been with my daughter loosing 6-3 or 8-4 those type numbers. During their fight on Saturday they were 10-10 with seconds to go and there was a flurry of kicks from both of them and the other girl ended up winning 12-11 but it really could have gone either way, it just depended on which order the judges were pulling the triggers. So I was happy.

Then Sunday the first opponent was a no-show, she won her 2nd fight 5-5 then 1-0 in OT then in her 3rd fight early in the first round she took a hard kick to the left forearm. She stuck it out though but really couldn't fight very well and ended up getting gapped 8-0. Then in the medical area she ended up in a cast and diagnosed with a severly bruised or possibly fractured arm.

We had a few hours to kill before our flight home so we took her to Kaiser and explaned we had a plane to catch but were concerned and wanted x-rays. Thankfully they understood and rushed us through the system and the x-rays were negative for broken bones.

So we have just gotten home and she and the wife are in bed, and I think I will go join them.

Gotta say though that Portland was a great city and the people are so friendly. I hope we have a chance to get back there again in the future.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ah, that must have been the young lady with her arm in a sling Sunday afternoon at the awards area. I'm very happy to hear that there were no broken bones. I'm happy to hear that she qualified. There was some great matches there and many that thought they were going to get an easy win were sadly disabused of that notion.

The woman behind the counter in the awards area on the laptop was my wife, I was all in black like the USAT staff, kinda because I was one of the USAT staff. My wife sometimes lets me think I'm in charge of that area. Next time just ask any of the staff if I'm around and they'll point you in my direction.

Oh well, in 2 weeks I'm in KC and then I'm not sure where or when after that. If nothing else I'll see you in San Jose.

OP
M

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
That was most likely my little girl down there. She wanted a picture with all the medalists from her division so she was waiting around the awards table for the others once the division was complete.

I guess only 1 other girl came over though so they took a picture together.

Latest Discussions