Most memorable seminars!

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok! What's the most memorable seminar you have been to, who held it, and what stuck with you? What made it so memorable? If there are any dislikes about one, what is it? Would you go to another one like it again- if there is one?

I'll start with mine...

One of my instructors hosts (or at least tries to) an annual seminar led by Leo Fong. They've always been interesting, but I especially liked the time that he did a women's self defense session. It was small, and covered quite a bit of information. The other times, he's covered trapping, punches, etc. I've also enjoyed going out to eat afterwards, hearing some of the stories he had to share. A really nice guy! The only complaint I have, is that he goes through things extremely fast, and covers a lot of material. All I can do, is go in with what I remember from last time, and try to catch something new this time around. I hope to be able to go to the one coming up this week...

Anyone else?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The most recient one with our very own Brian Vancise he is very knowledgable and extremly gifted with his teaching skills both with childern and adults.

Over the year the best probaly was a kicking seminar with Bill Wallace it was back in the eighties late and the way he could kick with that speed and power was just awesome.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What did you take from Kathy's seminar. I always thought she would put on a good seminar but unfortunately I've never had the opportunity to get to one of hers.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Damn, I did Bill in North Carolina about 40 years ago. Did one with Kathy in Tampa Bay at a NAPA seminar a few years back, they were both great. Being full contact made me appreciate what they had to share all the more. Did one with Herb Perez in Long View, Washington right after he won his Olympic Gold Medal, it was awesome. Years ago I also did one with Dale Kirby, a swordsman from Tennessee the was extremely good too. Had a class that included Juan Marino, 2 X Olympic Silver Medalist, Herb Perez and Stephen Lopez, another Olympic Gold Medalist in Atlanta last July that was extremely informative, for me anyway. Did a Senior Masters Instructors course in Dallas TX, in 2002. So many others they are hard to remember them all.

TraditionalTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Two stand out for me:

1. First one with Hae Man Park in 1987. My first real exposure to GM Park. Very impressive, and his knowledge of poomsae was incredible. I was a 17 year old 1st Dan, and was honored to be photographed with him.

2. A seminar that I conducted in '98 for free fighting. Aside from having our GM show up, it was also nervewracking because I organized and led everything. Made me appreciate how hard a good seminar is to put on.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Combat Hapkido seminar in Halifax Nova Scotia..It was where I first met GM John Pellegrini...

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A few of us from my TKD organization went to a seminar at Dan Severn's training facility in Coldwater, MI. After kicking the bejeebers out of some tackling dummies, we did some takedown drills and submission work.

My most memorable moment is putting The Beast into a submission and feeling his hand tap out on my side! I tapped out The Beast!!!!!

If I am to be fair to Mr. Severn, I would provide the details that make this much less impressive than it at first sounds. You know how when you are first learning a technique and the instructor will just kind of stand or lay there and let you apply it so you can understand how it's done? Well, I'm not saying that's how it happened. . . well. . .yeah I am I guess. See, it is much more impressive without the details. I gotta stop sharing too much information.

Not many people can say they got Dan Severn to tap out. :)

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My most memorable seminar that i attended was in NJ when I worked with Prof. Presas and GM Wally Jay. I remember it because we got lost in NJ on our way home from dinner! :0) I drove in circles around NJ with two Grandmasters in the back seat! Wally Jay never forgot me after that! :)

My most memorable seminar i taught was when a very large fellow didn't think one of my blocks would work so he challenged me to let him swing the stick full force while I block it. He was BIG, and the swing was big.
(I did block it) :)

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Boy, that's a tough one. My first seminar with Pendekar de Thouars, Guro Inosanto, Sifu Messina or Captain Ayoob.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
The most memorable seminars I have attended and participated in are, without a doubt, those in which classes were taught by GM Bong Yul Shin of St. Louis (9th dan yudo, TKD, HKD, with yudo being his forte).

Simply amazing to see a man about 30 years older than I am do over 4,000 reps over a variety of calisthenics without ever being out of breath, the whole time calmly encouraging us to not quit: "Don't cheat yourself!"

Equally impressive were his demonstrations of yudo groundfighting, choking and sweeps. GM Shin makes yudo look SCARY.

On another note, I attended a seminar in which Bill Wallace taught &#8212; I agree, he is a great teacher. It was also very memorable.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
On another note, I attended a seminar in which Bill Wallace taught — I agree, he is a great teacher. It was also very memorable.

Yes he is...

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Great topic!

I've been priveleged to attend many seminars over the years by some super instructors, but the most memorable was a seminar I took conducted by Dr. Jin Bang Yang in Cleveland.

The seminar was for instructors and it covered the modern training methods taught in Korea. It was very memorable because my family went to the beach while I went to the seminar-we had a nice family weekend out of it. Dr. Yang was awesome and his English excellent. I also thought it was great to work out and learn with so many other instructors. Finally, and most importantly, I met a gentleman who has been a good friend and training partner.

Miles

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow so many to choose where could I start. There is no way I could pick just one as each brings a unique flavor to their martial arts. Here are some I would whole heartedly recommend.

Hatsumi Sensei - Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu (truly one of a kind martial artist)
Remy Presas (now deceased and was one of a kind) - Modern Arnis
Dan Inosanto - JKD (simply awesome used to love going all the time)
Bob Orlando - Kuntao/Silat
Brian "Buzz" Smith - Kuntaw
Rich Parsons - Modern Arnis
Michael Asuncion - Bujinkan
Mark O'Brien - Bujinkan
Greg Kowalski - Bujinkan
Phil Legare - Bujinkan
Micahel Pearce - Bujinkan
Bart Uguccioni - Bujinkan
General Choi (now deceased) - Tae Kwon Do (ITF)
Eugene Humesky - Tae Kwon Do
Billy Blanks (back in the day) - Sparring
Otto Cardew - Bujinkan
Dan Anderson - Modern Arnis 80
Caique - BJJ (Simply awesome teacher)
Ken Blackburn - BJJ
Rolker Gracie - Gracie Jiujitsu
Royce Gracie - Gracie Jiujitsu
Carolos Machado - BJJ
Relson Gracie - Gracie Jiujitsu
Jeff Fields - Modern Arnis
Master Dave Weatherly - Hapkido
Guropardikal - Kalaripayattu
Chris Malgeri - Silat
Tim Mayette - Archery
Bill Wallace - Kicking
Joe Lewis - Kickboxing/Point Fighting
Larry Hamilton - Bujinkan
Ian Kershaw - Modern Arnis
Joe Doris - Modern Arnis (way back in the day)
A whole plethora of Tae Kwon Do and Hapkido Master's that I cannot remember their full names.
Numerous PPCT and Defensive Tactics Instructors as well as police instructors in different areas such as Firearms, handcuffing, riot control, tactical entry, etc.

These gentlemen do not do seminars in the west but train and teach in Japan and are simply, simply amazing:

Noguchi Sensei - Bujinkan
Seno Sensei - Bujinkan
Oguri Sensei - Bujinkan
Noguchi Sensei - Bujinkan
Shiraishi Sensei - Bujinkan
Nagato Sensei - Bujinkan

This gentleman is a one of a kind teacher but is now located in Israel and not teaching I believe:
Doron Navon - Bujinkan

There are so many, many more that I forgot and I apologize. It would really be hard to pick one person.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Another one that was very memorable:

Nam Suk Lee. Even at his advanced age, he made a deep impression on me.

TraditionalTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Not really a seminar, but any training session I have with my Instructor is a real eye opener and makes me realize how much I still have to learn. Even at 62 years, he still has formidable technique.

Latest Discussions