Wanting some dirt...

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
At the dojang that I attend, we do Pyong An and Kuk Mu series... My question is on the Kuk Mu's. Has anyone heard of them? Is my school the only one that does them (half- joking here, guys)? I know that the Korean millitary either does or used to do them, and I knew an instructor from another school, that told me he used to do them as a kid when he was in Korea. I'm just wondering about them, because you never (or hardly ever) hear about them.

Please, don't use this thread as grounds as bashing or flaming. I'm not- I'm just curious about what I'm studying, and would like to know some background info on those particular forms for my own enlightenment (and anyone else's if they run across this and wonder the same thing).

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At the dojang that I attend, we do Pyong An and Kuk Mu series... My question is on the Kuk Mu's. Has anyone heard of them? Is my school the only one that does them (half- joking here, guys)? I know that the Korean millitary either does or used to do them, and I knew an instructor from another school, that told me he used to do them as a kid when he was in Korea. I'm just wondering about them, because you never (or hardly ever) hear about them.

Please, don't use this thread as grounds as bashing or flaming. I'm not- I'm just curious about what I'm studying, and would like to know some background info on those particular forms for my own enlightenment (and anyone else's if they run across this and wonder the same thing).

TKDG, I know little of the Kuk Mu hyungs. But the Kuk Mu Kwan was one of the later Kwans that opened in the early 1960s, under the directorship of Kang Suh Chong; it's possible those forms originated in that Kwan. Check out the following MT thread; there's some mention of the Kuk Mu hyungs there:

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-30616.html

GlassJaw

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My question is on the Kuk Mu's. Has anyone heard of them?

Never encountered them myself, but I do see that
Kuk Mu hyung are described on the Shamelessly
Unofficial Taekwondo Resource site. (The list says
"Kuk Mu 1-6", but the file ends after #2.)

See http://paperwindow.com/tkd/ and click "Patterns"
then select "Kuk-Mu 1-6" from the pull-down menu on
"Other".

Dan