Poom Dan lining for class in your dojang

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In your dojang, do the Dan students always line up in front of Poom students regardless of "seniority?"
For example, Susan got her Poom last year & Jennifer (at 26 years old) gets her Dan last month. Is Jennifer Now Susan's senior in class, &/or in seniority in your dojang?

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Where I train, adults line up on one side of the room and children on the other. An adult is always senior to a child if they have the same rank. In saying that though, we dont have poom belts, if a child thinks they can pass the black belt test then they can have a go at any age, but no concessions are made because they are a child (except thinner boards to break), and no 2nd dan until a set age (which Im unsure of).

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Where I am, the Instructors stand at the front, and We stand wherever we find ourselves.
The reason being, that theres little point in taking the time to line up properly just to bow in, then leave those lines and get to work. Saves time.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Where I am, the Instructors stand at the front, and We stand wherever we find ourselves.
The reason being, that theres little point in taking the time to line up properly just to bow in, then leave those lines and get to work. Saves time.
We always spend the first 15 minutes or so in line doing stretching, line work, basic form work etc and being in line in order of rank means that the student in front of you is generally higher rank so you have someone to watch if you are unsure of what you are doing. It also means that you have someone beside you of equal rank so if we need a partner for self defence techs etc you can turn to your left and you have a partner ready to go. After 15-20 minutes then we all split up and go and work on our own stuff.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
We always spend the first 15 minutes or so in line doing stretching, line work, basic form work etc and being in line in order of rank means that the student in front of you is generally higher rank so you have someone to watch if you are unsure of what you are doing. It also means that you have someone beside you of equal rank so if we need a partner for self defence techs etc you can turn to your left and you have a partner ready to go. After 15-20 minutes then we all split up and go and work on our own stuff.
We usually move into one straight line down the longest side of the Dojang, then go back and forth with Basics. Then Stretching.
Then move right on to Training.
I dont really see why You need to be in lines to Stretch, but hey :)

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
We usually move into one straight line down the longest side of the Dojang, then go back and forth with Basics. Then Stretching.
Then move right on to Training.
I dont really see why You need to be in lines to Stretch, but hey :)
I remember my first night as a white belt and I was glad we were in lines because even some of the trickier stretches were confusing me and it was nice to have a blue belt standing in front of me and I could just follow their lead. Actually, I remember the same night and we were moving forward and back doing different knife hand blocks and I was always ending up with the wrong foot forward and my hands were getting tangled up and again, it was nice having that blue belt in front of me and I could just try to 'do what they do'.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I remember my first night as a white belt and I was glad we were in lines because even some of the trickier stretches were confusing me and it was nice to have a blue belt standing in front of me and I could just follow their lead. Actually, I remember the same night and we were moving forward and back doing different knife hand blocks and I was always ending up with the wrong foot forward and my hands were getting tangled up and again, it was nice having that blue belt in front of me and I could just try to 'do what they do'.
I see a variance here - Our beginners are sent off to the side with an Instructor at first, to be taught basic Motions, Stretches, and such, to avoid that confusion buffer. It takes about an Hour before they join in with the Class. This is usually just the first and second lesson.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
In your dojang, do the Dan students always line up in front of Poom students regardless of "seniority?"
For example, Susan got her Poom last year & Jennifer (at 26 years old) gets her Dan last month. Is Jennifer Now Susan's senior in class, &/or in seniority in your dojang?

Like most of the others, our juniors and seniors line up in different halves of the hall. However, hypothetically if they did, I would say that Susan is more senior as she got her (junior) black belt first.

A similar question (albeit one that is not as close) is what if Susan was a third poom and Jennifer is a first dan. Do Dan students always line up in front of Poom grades, even though in this case the Poom grade has a higher rank.

I would say that when they got their rank matters. It's also good for the newly promoted first dan to practice humility in agreeing that the poom got her rank first (besides when she turns 16 they would be the same rank, but the poom got hers first).

Just my 2p.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do not teach adults and children in the same class or setting. What I teach to an adult is different and much more in-depth than the child as the needs differ. I always have the senior students in the rear of the class and the newbies up front. This serves several purposes; first, the newbie is in greater need of seeing what I'm doing as the instructor. Secondly, the senior (usually a Dan holder) student can observe the newbies along with their own training. This allows them to walk and chew gum at the same time. It allows them to get experience in looking for possible mistakes (that they can and should correct as seniors or bring to my attention if they don't know how to advise the newbie). Thirdly, it promotes the concept that the 'senior' isn't special in the class, rather they are a servant. They should be willing to help those newer than themselves. It keeps away from students thinking they're 'all that and a bag of chips'.

That's how we do it and it works well.

ryuu55

White Belt
Reaction score
We line up highest to lowest, regardless of age. The authority of an adult takes precedence over the rank of a child. An adult white belt can correct a higher rank child when misbehaving, but in class order it follows rank.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We line up by seniority, regardless of age. Poom and Dan are treated equally.

Latest Discussions