Polycotton vs Cotton Gi

Okay, in my recent post above I made an error! I mentioned the wrong model. Here is the one I am talking about:

Arawaza Onyx Air, Karate​

Not the evolution model. The Onyx Air is "6oz lightweight, microfiber" and the description does not mention "Kumite" specifically. Instead it says "Made with the most advanced fabric and manufacturing technology, Onyx Air is the ultimate uniform for any serious athlete. 6oz lightweight, microfiber." Here is a picture of fabric. It does appear to have a pattern but to my touch it feels smooth. Pattern is different from one shown in Hot Lunch's post above.

So does anyone have experience with this material? description doe not mention breathability like the description for the evolution madel and it 1 oz lighter fabric, 6oz rather than 7oz.?
 

Attachments

  • thumbnail_image0.webp
    thumbnail_image0.webp
    15.2 KB · Views: 106
It’s the perfect keikogi. It’s tough and keeps it’s shape and dazzling whiteness, snaps like a thunderclap, is easy to wash and dries in seconds without the need for ironing and it’s cut makes one look like a Greek god.

Is that what you want to hear?
 
I liked the GI"s shown in post #50. So I thought I could do that. Kind of hard to see, bur I added some pale yellow trim to jacke. Not as much as in Post 50. But a touch. I also added a pocket for my hankerchief as I have sinus allergies and need it frequently. (otherwise I have to use my sleeve or drip on the floor.) sorry for the mental image created by that last sentence.

When closed none of the yellow is visible.
 

Attachments

  • thumbnail_image0.webp
    thumbnail_image0.webp
    317.5 KB · Views: 110
Funny, I thought there would be comments about what I did to my GI. I expected mostly negative. I am ok with others having different opinions from mine. But, nothing....surprised.
 
It’s called ā€˜marginal gains’ the idea being that even tiny positive changes can combine to make significant improvements. Endurance cyclists, for example, shave their legs to minutely improve aerodynamics (and to reduce infection risk after cuts and scrapes), they don helmets with sweeping, air-funnelling profiles and of course, take copious amounts of performance enhancing substances 😐

Since kata competition has a large, subjective element to it’s judging, an extra crisp and loud snap as the contestants punches and kicks might subconsciously sway a judge in the contestant’s favour.


In the video above, Riku Usama creates a lot of her ā€˜snap’ by slapping her hands/fists against her torso: notice how the punches and kicks themselves are fairly silent!
I think I’m going to do my katas like this from now on.
Just yell so that folks have no chance of hearing my gi not popping!
Maybe even throw in some of those hip thrusters just for fun!

 
I think I’m going to do my katas like this from now on.
Just yell so that folks have no chance of hearing my gi not popping!
Maybe even throw in some of those hip thrusters just for fun!

Oh no! He put his dōgi through a boil wash! Rookie error He should’ve let him mum wash it for him; they always know best.

That video looks like it’s the same venue as that infamous shouty woman. It’s clearly a ā€˜thing’, rather than her just being insanešŸ¤·šŸ¾
 
I think I’m going to do my katas like this from now on.
Just yell so that folks have no chance of hearing my gi not popping!
Maybe even throw in some of those hip thrusters just for fun!

I Fully get the importance of the Kihop. It has it's place(s) and is 100% effective. I am certain there are more than a few thread on here about it. But that guy wasted SO much energy screaming/grunting on every move it is ridiculous. Just make zero sense. I was/am very much an adrenaline junkie but also know how important it is to conserve energy and use it at the right time.

And this post has gotten Way off topic.
 
I liked the GI"s shown in post #50. So I thought I could do that. Kind of hard to see, bur I added some pale yellow trim to jacke. Not as much as in Post 50. But a touch. I also added a pocket for my hankerchief as I have sinus allergies and need it frequently. (otherwise I have to use my sleeve or drip on the floor.) sorry for the mental image created by that last sentence.

When closed none of the yellow is visible.
I had some dōgi made for me with hidden colourful highlights
20191216_164003.webp


20191222_233023.webp


20191222_233128.webp

20191216_163844.webp

The yellow look a little like sweat marks 🤢
 
My hero and inspiration! I thought the yellow was more subdued less obnoxious. Less likely to draw attention if it momentarily became visible for a second or two.

Maybe a brighter color (colour?) would be fun.

If it wasn't for bad taste I wouldn't have any taste at all.
 
Back
Top