Poll: Did the guy in white clash with the right leg or the left leg?

Vergod

White Belt
Reaction score
Does Vergo, the guy in white, clash with the right or left leg (ankle) when he breaks the fibula of the guy in black, Sanji?

Right or left leg, people?

of course it is the freskikg right leg, isnā€™t that obvious? You look at how the stationary leg is tilting, you look at his posture, you see this is not possible if he clashed with the left leg... But the anime studio showed that it was left leg and people believe it is the left leg...

šŸ˜‘šŸ˜‘šŸ˜‘

He switches legs twice (as you can see he follows up with a roundhouse swipe thing/move with the left leg even though he clashed with the right leg). Vergo was trolling Sanji. It is clear portrayal from the author that there is a massive gulf in not only power and, just, leg hardness for one, but general skill level. Vergo is way superior. Only reason Sanji (guy in black) is not crippled is because Vergo must have massively held back his power. Vergo was trolling and making fun of Sanji as we can gauge from the fight.
070F742D-F2B7-497E-9A82-33EA2D385E08.jpeg
231BFD87-37AB-4D9E-B2C3-5FAC386E3C64.jpeg
72D2E940-5D30-4A7D-A33E-445B2D8DCF5B.jpeg

Any sane person (you of all people) can see it is the right leg lol

The animation studio completely fucked up here. They donā€™t get what the author portrayed, they donā€™t understand martial arts (Vergo was superior he clashed with the ankle, he was never struggling) they donā€™t see how the left leg is impossible they still showed him clashing with us left leg. Itā€™s real stupid

So, what is the opinion of this forum? Did Vergo clash with the right leg or the left leg?

Last edited:
OP
Vergod

Vergod

White Belt
Reaction score
Well lol, I know this question is very random, but it is a simple question really.

looking at this panel, would you say the guy in white is clashing with his right leg or left leg? Because I maintain it is clearly the right leg. Most people say it is the left leg which I think is absolutely insane. This is a manga for which there is an animation studio that makes an anime based off the manga and they show him clashing with the left leg. They canā€™t fathom he clashed with the right, but that is what the author wants to clearly indicate

It is clearly the right leg lol wouldnā€™t you say?

OP
Vergod

Vergod

White Belt
Reaction score
View attachment 27316
EDIT: Any chance of moving this to a more appropriate forum, moderators?
Well I forgot to add that in Japan you read from right to left, not from left to right...

But the question is pretty simple

Is the guy in white kicking with the right leg here or the left leg? Is that really so hard to answer? Because 90% of people on anime forums say it is left leg (anime studio also animated it to be the left leg) when it is clearly the right.
3C453B71-564A-4947-AA59-D902F3D90184.jpeg

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well I forgot to add that in Japan you read from right to left, not from left to right...

But the question is pretty simple

Is the guy in white kicking with the right leg here or the left leg? Is that really so hard to answer? Because 90% of people on anime forums say it is left leg (anime studio also animated it to be the left leg) when it is clearly the right. View attachment 27317

Would you be able to demonstrate how that kick is thrown with the right leg?

Because his foot would be backwards.

So yeah. 90% of people are correct.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210921-054430_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20210921-054430_Google.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
OP
Vergod

Vergod

White Belt
Reaction score
Would you be able to demonstrate how that kick is thrown with the right leg?

Because his foot would be backwards.

So yeah. 90% of people are correct.
Thanks that you weigh in with your opinion.

But to reply back, is it really that hard to imagine how it would look like. Ok then, here is a perfect example of how he throws the kick. This is literally how he throws the kick
2BDA9E21-6F4D-46A4-8A5C-C02379727555.jpeg

now you would say this is not a well performed kick. I agree. This is why I say to the people that Vergo was so heavy plu superior he doesnā€™t need to even perform well executed kicks with real power behind them to beat this opponent in question.

the image you provide on the other hand is not congruent with Vergoā€™s position. Look at how the real life martial artist tilts his upper body to his right, while Vergo stands completely erect facing the other guy. We see Vergoā€™s right shoulder because he is standing straight, he is not tilting.

If he were tilting we would not see his right shoulder. Vergo is clearly not needing to tilt his body when doing the kind of kick I just showed

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm at a loss for words myself. I haven't watched One Piece in years, but back in the day, nobody beat Black-Leg Sanji at the kicking game. He was Bill "Superfoot" Wallace with super-powers. And the world's greatest cook too.

If this is what the world has come too these days, I'm glad I stopped watching Luffy and his crew and just carry on in my own little fantasy world of practicing MA with actual people! ;)

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I am equally bewildered as would be the good Dr. Samuel Johnson by this thread. Yet, like a train wreck, I keep looking at it.... I really need to move along. May the Lord give me strength.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's a bad kick, but it's definitely meant to be the left leg. Two panels before he picks up his left leg, the other guy says stuff, then they clash with what looks like his left leg (but no body twisting cause the author messed that up slightly), then they show them again disengaging their kicks with again the left leg.

Makes a lot more sense than he came in with his left leg, switched to his right to do a weird kick that wouldn't be powerful enough to break a shin, then drop that and pick up his left leg again while his opponent is rebounding with his own leg.

Also, why does it matter which leg it is?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks that you weigh in with your opinion.

But to reply back, is it really that hard to imagine how it would look like. Ok then, here is a perfect example of how he throws the kick. This is literally how he throws the kick View attachment 27319

now you would say this is not a well performed kick. I agree. This is why I say to the people that Vergo was so heavy plu superior he doesnā€™t need to even perform well executed kicks with real power behind them to beat this opponent in question.

the image you provide on the other hand is not congruent with Vergoā€™s position. Look at how the real life martial artist tilts his upper body to his right, while Vergo stands completely erect facing the other guy. We see Vergoā€™s right shoulder because he is standing straight, he is not tilting.

If he were tilting we would not see his right shoulder. Vergo is clearly not needing to tilt his body when doing the kind of kick I just showed

Does Vergo potentially have flexible hips?

But I think he is tilted but has also taken a step to the right. In a Dutch style round kick.

Last edited:
OP
Vergod

Vergod

White Belt
Reaction score
It's a bad kick, but it's definitely meant to be the left leg. Two panels before he picks up his left leg, the other guy says stuff, then they clash with what looks like his left leg (but no body twisting cause the author messed that up slightly), then they show them again disengaging their kicks with again the left leg.

Makes a lot more sense than he came in with his left leg, switched to his right to do a weird kick that wouldn't be powerful enough to break a shin, then drop that and pick up his left leg again while his opponent is rebounding with his own leg.

Also, why does it matter which leg it is?
Thanks for your input!

Well, it canā€™t be the left leg. Itā€™s not just that the body isnā€™t properly twisted, Vergoā€™s leg is clearly tilting left, which is impossible, it canā€™t have a tilt like this

278966C7-4999-4994-9412-090D640F4DF8.jpeg

in addition, zoom in on the foot and you can clearly see from the contour that it is the right foot, ie inside of the foot facing up can only mean one thing
137EDA57-0E80-4DA7-A76C-A6F3DAA17974.jpeg

As you can see, it is impossible for the author to make this many mistakes and have it be the left leg. Literally nothing indicates left.

But yes I agree, that kick performed in that way with the right leg wouldnā€™t carry enough power to break someone leg, so it absolutely doesnā€™t make sense for it to be right leg. Notwithstanding he clashes with the ankle and the other guy checks with his upper and strongest part of the shin (symbolically this is Vergo clashing with his weakest part of the leg versus Sanji blocking with his strongest) yet it should be Vergo who is breaking here - not Sanji!

As you can see there is too much attention to this moment in the manga for author to do a ā€œslip upā€. The author is clearly meaning to display Vergo as massively superior and using his right leg (ankle) at that.

Vergo is massively more powerful than Sanji and is simply trolling and making fun of Sanji with this, definitely, weird kick. I think itā€™s also highly indicated by the way he switches his leg around the second time to do a kind of roundhouse swipe that looks cool but, as you can agree, isnā€™t a practical move in a real fight.

Vergo clearly is trolling. Remember that Sanji is a taekwando/capoeira based fighter who only uses kicks in fight, whereas Vergo is a Kali/Escrima based fighter who is also a blowgun artist, a well rounded martial artist. He is ONLY using kicks against Sanji, not using any of his other powers.

And in this manga there are certain hardening techniques of the body (relying on spiritual energy + willpower) you can make your body part harder if you apply willpower to that area. There is also a special technique that only a handful of persons can use that can damage a person internally. I believe this could be what Vergo is doing here

you donā€™t need to know the specifics of this story/verse. All I ask is to look at the panel. Forget what you think is ā€œreasonableā€. It is clearly the right leg. It canā€™t be the left

jmf552

Green Belt
Reaction score
Really? You are talking about a cartoon like it has anything, at all, to do with martial arts? Do you even train, bro? I mean outside of your parents' basement?

OP
Vergod

Vergod

White Belt
Reaction score
Does Vergo potentially have flexible hips?

But I think he is tilted but has also taken a step to the right. In a Dutch style round kick.
Yes Vergo is very flexible, like a damn contortionist even
0CF5B83C-7A96-4A7C-8A18-001A394FB4BB.jpeg

Clearly his hips are flexible enough to do this effortlessly
E928F2D1-7338-4140-A52C-725623173418.jpeg

but I like your idea but here is the problem... the angle of the leg
892E7891-EC8A-4402-9DE1-6E8D47152C83.jpeg

the stationary leg is tilted quite evidently to the left side, while you say he is doing this, no
99EB6520-6E1B-4C76-9EB8-139D41D5F246.jpeg

can you see how implausible it is to say Vergo is doing this kind of kick based on how the stationary (right leg) must pivot away from the leading leg? šŸ˜‘

It simply canā€™t be the left leg. The way he performs the kick with the right leg is as Iā€™ve shown in the previous post.

OP
Vergod

Vergod

White Belt
Reaction score
Really? You are talking about a cartoon like it has anything, at all, to do with martial arts? Do you even train, bro? I mean outside of your parents' basement?
I train harder than you for sure, I donā€™t suppose you do 2 hours of sauna or cold shower everyday? Plus cardio and weight training on top.

And you would say he kicked with the left leg, wouldnā€™t you?

And whatā€™s so wrong anyway about enjoying a good well written and entertaining fictional saga? I bet you play lovely video games, but you can act up against a manga? Go f yourself

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So either the mangaka made a mistake drawing it and meant it to be the left leg, or doesn't understand fighting mechanics and used the right leg. Both are possible, and there's no way to really know. I'm sure even the artist doesn't know at this point since you've clearly put a lot more thought into it than he ever has.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I train harder than you for sure, I donā€™t suppose you do 2 hours of sauna or cold shower everyday? Plus cardio and weight training on top.

And you would say he kicked with the left leg, wouldnā€™t you?
How is sauna, showering, cardio and weight training evidence that you do martial arts training?

OP
Vergod

Vergod

White Belt
Reaction score
So either the mangaka made a mistake drawing it and meant it to be the left leg, or doesn't understand fighting mechanics and used the right leg. Both are possible, and there's no way to really know. I'm sure even the artist doesn't know at this point since you've clearly put a lot more thought into it than he ever has.
Glad you see the obvious, that the drawing demonstrates the right leg clearly.

About the fighting mechanics, yes I get
It, that kind of kick would certainly not break the leg of the opponent who blocks the kick in that way with a perfect block. Symbolically Vergo is performing the most ridiculous and weak kind of kick and clashing with the ankle while Sanji performs a perfect check high up on the knee cap. In real life it would have been a Vergo breaking his leg. That Vergo can even break the other guyā€™s leg in the first place is a perfect and beautiful demonstration of their difference in power!

Mind you, Vergo is knows as Demon Bamboo, he fights with a bamboo stick, he is sort of a Kali / Escrima fighter while Sanji doesnā€™t use hands in battle, he only uses kicks. That Vergo beats Sanji (a main character) in this fashion speaks to the behemoth level of power he has. (And people like to underestimate Vergo always)

The fighting mechanics btw are ā€œdifferentā€ in that the verse of One Piece allows for (1) hardening techniques where you with certain techniques can make a body part harder, and (2) for very strong and unique individuals (only a handful) you can damage opponents internally. (3) Vergoā€™s body is already very hard in itself as he is a cyborg, but I donā€™t think that should be of consequence here as Sanji clearly is a leg fighter and has naturally hardened legs.

I can conclude that Vergo either used a hardening technique or used a technique to damage Sanjiā€™s leg internally. Only reason Vergo himself didnā€™t break his ankle (ie like Andersn Silvia or Chris Weidman) is because Vergo himself is much harder than Sanji. The only reason Sanji isnā€™t a cripple by now is because Vergo must have been trolling and not fighting him seriously (third is the only viable conclusion)

Again, you donā€™t need to know the specifics of this kind of verse. You also assume maybe Vergo was seriously fighting all the time. From the context of this fight we can see Vergo is massively holding back his power like he is playing with Sanji

That the mangaka makes a drawing mistake is also implausible. Look at this clash for instance
19B3E14B-B57C-4DEE-9B92-0C1FAB4062AA.jpeg

Here she does the exact same roundhouse kick you are suggesting that Vergo does with the left leg, only she does with the right leg.

They should be mirror images, no? The only reason they arenā€™t at all similar is BECAUSE VERGO ISNT KICKING WITH THE LEFT LEG @drop bear

OP
Vergod

Vergod

White Belt
Reaction score
How is sauna, showering, cardio and weight training evidence that you do martial arts training?
I donā€™t do so much martial arts actually, but I can still enjoy martial arts and form my opinion unless my opinion is garbage. In this case I think it is not lol

Latest Discussions