Politics, English style

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Given the current intense passions running through American politics, I thought perhaps we could do with a little lesson in the nature of politics ... English style.

For example, illustrating the importance of flexibility of response, both these statements came from the same man (who is presently the Mayor of London):

"Not only did I want Bush to win, but we threw the entire weight of The Spectator behind him."

Followed not too long after by:

"The President is a cross-eyed Texan warmonger, unelected, inarticulate, who epitomises the arrogance of American foreign policy."

From the same source, a quote that I actually concur with ... which is a bit worrying:

“"The dreadful truth is that when people come to see their MP, they have run out of better ideas."

And probably the best campaigning spiel ever, again from the same source:

"Voting Tory will cause your wife to have bigger breasts and increase your chances of owning a BMW."

------------------

Just in case "MP" doesn't mean anything to those who dwell outside British shores, it is an acronym for "Member of Parliament" i.e. government or opposition politician with the right to vote on matters of policy.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
For some reason the Mayor of London election got a lot of play down here, can't really think why. Boris Johnson is exactly what you think of when you think of a caricature of a politician. I think it is quite ironic that London has a mayor named Boris.

Just how valid are the mayor of London's views. This is a pretty new post, only 8 years old, and it is important to Britain and the Tour de France, but beyond that what? I mean, Sydney has a Lord Mayor who is incredibly outspoken on certain subjects but nobody really cares, because she is not part of the mainstream of politics, at either a state or federal level.

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
An important point, ST. For Londoners, the Mayor can have quite a considerable influence on their daily lives but, as with any Mayor, his influence on parliamentary politics is pretty limited.

I have to say that in an odd way I like Boris Johnson tho' - he appeals to my fundamentally pre-twentieth century soul I think :lol:.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I must admit I like Boris as well, he's an individual in a world where politicians all seem to come out of the same mould. I quite like eccentric people and who knows he could actually be very good for London!
Politicians and would be politicians all now seem to have stylists, voice coaches and are media savvy talking in 'sound bites', it's just nice to see someone being themselves lol!

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I must admit I like Boris as well, he's an individual in a world where politicians all seem to come out of the same mould. I quite like eccentric people and who knows he could actually be very good for London!
Politicians and would be politicians all now seem to have stylists, voice coaches and are media savvy talking in 'sound bites', it's just nice to see someone being themselves lol!
We can thank the power of vanity and television for all of them having voice coaches, stylists and so on. It isn't just America where folks judge far more quickly based on looks than substance, it's the world over. The trouble with someone just being themselves is that most folks, way down deep inside, hold at least one view that isn't PC and when that view comes to light no matter how great they are in all other aspects that one point will get hammered in "sound bites."

Mark, it's great that you posted those quotes. Makes me feel a little better about the complete swill we have in this country for politicians.

Latest Discussions